The Student Room Group

TEFL course advice?

Hi all, just looking at Groupon and I have found a course that is 150 hours, basically its the full works! The company is 'Global TEFL UK' and I was wondering if anyone had used this company before to do a course?

If so, any reviews? was it good, etc?

Thanks
Tom
hi me to, really wanna teach in china, not sure if tefl will help though so wanna know hope to get answers soon
Original post by ashleaclark
hi me to, really wanna teach in china, not sure if tefl will help though so wanna know hope to get answers soon

Out of all the countries in the world, China is the least pickiest about qualifications. It is apparently easily enough to get a job there with just a degree. However you might get a slightly better job if you have a TEFL. I am sure a Weekend Certificate will surfice.
Also, it will help you too. Make sure you know your grammar! I mean terminology and know all 13 tenses inside out (both in structure and uses).

I teach English abroad but the reason I can't help more than that is because I teach in Europe, which is very different. Also, I haven't researched into China too much personally as it hasn't appealed to me and slightly was slightly put off when I heard really mixed opinions of it too. So sorry I can't help more.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't do an online TEFL course as a lot of them aren't even worth the paper they're written on. As the above poster points out, countries like China will more than likely take you with just a degree. Southern American countries often require only a degree in any subject and at the most, a weekend TEFL certificate. If you want to open up all the doors to you then you'd be better off paying for the fully intensive CELTA course as it'll open up the most doors for you. There are plenty of jobs out there for teachers as long as you are prepared to give places around the world a chance and are willing to embrace different cultures. I'd take it that you are as most people who consider this qualification are doing so with the intention of travelling or experiencing other countries and their cultures whilst working.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending