The Student Room Group

Intensity of coherent/incoherent light

Here's a question I'm working on. I've managed everything uptil the first bolded part, then I get stuck there. I have no idea how to estimate the relative intensities of coherent and incoherent light. I've had a look at tonnes of formulas for the intensity of light but can't find one which would work here. Any help?

And for the second part I've made bold, is the answer to that question: photon energies and coherence of the emitted light do not change?

Question: In a 3-level laser device two different energies of light are emitted. Coherent light is observed with a wavelength of 2700nm and incoherent light with a wavelength of 694nm. Use the above information to sketch the energy levels of the 3-level laser system. Label the energies (in eV) of each of the excited levels relative to the ground state. You may assume that the lowest energy level is the ground state of the atom.

If an optical flash is used as the mechanism to excite the three level laser system what wavelength of light should be used?

Estimate the relative intensity of the coherent and incoherent light produced by the laser.

Consider a situation in which the photon density of the lasing cavity is very significantly reduced, for example by reducing the reflectivity of the surfaces of the lasing cavity. How would you expect the photon energies and coherence of the emitted light to change?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest