The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol accommodation- Manor hall, Richmond terrace or Goldney

I have an offer for Bristol starting 2014 and I'm considering Manor hall, Richmond terrace and Goldney for accommodation because being in Clifton is the most important thing to me, social life is also important and an ensuite would be nice. I like Richmond terrace and the fact it has ensuite, but I'm worried it isn't social enough. Manor looks fun and I like the corridors but doesn't look as nice and I'm worried about being put in an annex rather than the main building, and I'm put off Goldney by the competition to get it. Any thoughts?
Reply 1
The rooms in Manor are nice, but the floors are single sex floors just so you know. I am a current resident at Manor Hall, and although I have met some really great people, I regret coming here, mainly because of the staff. They do not like you to use the kitchen as a social space (where else are we supposed to use), and complain about minor damages that have happened in the kitchen, and just general petty complaints, for example not being allowed to stick pictures on the fridges because they are a 'fire hazard'. They don't seem to understand that its the first year of uni and people want to have a good time, even though we are paying huge amounts to live here. If you want to have a good social life and have a more enjoyable experience for the first year of uni, then I wouldn't choose manor.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Lishyy
I have an offer for Bristol starting 2014 and I'm considering Manor hall, Richmond terrace and Goldney for accommodation because being in Clifton is the most important thing to me, social life is also important and an ensuite would be nice. I like Richmond terrace and the fact it has ensuite, but I'm worried it isn't social enough. Manor looks fun and I like the corridors but doesn't look as nice and I'm worried about being put in an annex rather than the main building, and I'm put off Goldney by the competition to get it. Any thoughts?

Also ask on the accommodation thread :smile: there are some more current students on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Also ask on the accommodation thread :smile: there are some more current students on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Would you say that you have a good chance of getting into manor as a second if you put Goldney first and don't get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lishyy
Thanks! Would you say that you have a good chance of getting into manor as a second if you put Goldney first and don't get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a firmer this year too, but current students have said that manor is usually oversubscribed, it was only undersubscribed because of the work that was being done to make the inside better, therefore, (it might be different because of the new HB residence), it could be likely to be oversubscribed this year, so if you put goldney there is a high chance of not getting into manor. Why do you want to be in Clifton? What are you going to study? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Dentistry so it's long days, but location is just really important to me, I guess I'm stuck between Goldney and Richmond now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lishyy
Dentistry so it's long days, but location is just really important to me, I guess I'm stuck between Goldney and Richmond now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not pick manor? You'd have a high chance of getting in. Regardless of what the poster before said, it's just down to your experience, your annex/building, and your flat mates that determines your enjoyment at manor, or any hall. There's a girl on the accommodation thread at manor and she loves it. If you've got any questions her name is littlemisssunshine. People have different experiences. They have refurbished manor so it should look amazing.

I see why location is important, but I'm sure there have been many before you at SB on the same course, and they've got the bus which is 15 mins away. Both goldney and RT are ridiculously oversubscribed so you've got to think of whether you might end up in an SB hall anyway or in a unite residence :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending