The Student Room Group

Forcefully Withdrawn from University - but I didn't receive a warning.

First off, sorry I created an entirely new account to post this but I suppose I could use some advice.

I should start by saying my attendance at University is pretty awful. I've got a reason for it but it's more a psychological issue than a physical one so I never really considered it a 'real' reason. Regardless, this reason stops me attending pretty severely to the point where I freeze up when I so much as try to leave the door. I find it awkward discussing it with my tutors so I tend to think up excuses when they ask where I've been.

So with that aside, this is my problem. I recently received an e-mail from the head of the entire University (Salford by the way) informing me that my time on the course has been terminated and they're forcefully withdrawing me for lack of attendance - but what frustrates me is I wasn't warned.

I've received letters before warning me that if I've left the course myself I should get in touch with the University - but since I hadn't left the course, I didn't think there was cause for concern. So this termination e-mail comes as a huge shock.

What angers me is that I've since looked up Salford's rules on this sort of thing and not only were they supposed to warn me weeks in advance that my attendance was being monitored and may result in my removal from the course - but also that the rules require that Salford informs me I have a right to appeal, something the Head neglected to mention in his e-mail.

So long story short, I'm mad. Not because I think I attended well because I agree my attendance was awful - but mad at the fact that Salford have completely ignored most of the protocol here and simply expelled me without the prior warnings they're required to give.

Is there anywhere I can take this which will ensure I get to stay on my course? I've always been really passionate about University and it annoys me that I'm losing my place simply based on a neglected warning.

Cheers in advance.
If you would have been passionate about university you wouldn't have had such poor attendance.. I don't quite understand this new western trend of trivial and abstract 'mental health' problems that justify undisciplined behavior.. but the only question that matters to the headmaster is that he knows you won't do well at the course. They already have your money and they don't want you to affect the exam statistic knowing you are likely to fail.. Probably that.

You could of course try bringing up the policy, but it won't matter to them because they won't believe you are likely to suddenly change 180. If you could sue them it would be epic though..
Reply 2
Original post by Alistair Mac Tir
but the only question that matters to the headmaster is that he knows you won't do well at the course.

Well the thing is I've been getting consistently good grades. I've already hit third semester which is why this annoys me so much - they left it pretty damn late.
I understand what you mean about the mental health thing, which is why I've never tried to use it to excuse myself. I've done all my studying from home but now that attendance is suddenly a huge part of a equation it looks like I'll just have to come clean in my appeal as to why my attendance was so poor. I only wish they'd warned me so that I could've really tried to work on improving my attendance earlier.
Original post by OriginalCopy
Well the thing is I've been getting consistently good grades. I've already hit third semester which is why this annoys me so much - they left it pretty damn late.
I understand what you mean about the mental health thing, which is why I've never tried to use it to excuse myself. I've done all my studying from home but now that attendance is suddenly a huge part of a equation it looks like I'll just have to come clean in my appeal as to why my attendance was so poor. I only wish they'd warned me so that I could've really tried to work on improving my attendance earlier.

If you have good grades then the headmaster is an idiot. You should definitely appeal and emphasize on your performance, and that you didn't know attendance was that much if a big deal.
If you wish to stay, then fight for your place. Don't be proud and tell them what the issue is - get your parents/doctor involved if you have to. Remember it was your responsibility and it looks like they did give you warnings, even if the warnings didn't explicitly state that they were going to kick you out.

If you manage to keep your place, then don't mess about again. Get help if you need to. Good luck.
If you would have been passionate about university you wouldn't have had such poor attendance.. I don't quite understand this new western trend of trivial and abstract 'mental health' problems that justify undisciplined behavior..

This is so incredibly ignorant. Mental health problems are in no way trivial and abstract, they are real health problems and no less important than physical health problems. Please educate yourself and stop posting damaging comments like this one.

OP, I would inform the university about your mental health. I know it's can be awkward but there's no need to be embarrassed and your tutors etc are there to help you. Although from what you've said about receiving mail about telling the university if you have withdrawn from the course it sounds like you've hardly been going at all? If this is the case then maybe you could discuss options to work around being unable to attend.
Reply 6
A message to anyone, Please do NOT use the thread to try and instigate any debate about whether mental illness exists or is a legitimate excuse for the OP's behaviour. If you can't keep posts constructive then please don't post. Any posts which aren't constructive will be removed.

If you would have been passionate about university you wouldn't have had such poor attendance.

Absolute, total, 100% nonsense. You cannot make this judgement, especially when ignorant of the OP's subjective difficulties.

but the only question that matters to the headmaster is that he knows you won't do well at the course.

That is not something you can assume, nor is it something the "headmaster" can assume.

There are many students with mental health difficulties who, when provided with the support/adjustments they are both morally and legally entitled to, perform well.

I experienced difficulties during my course as the result of dyspraxia and a mood disorder (which did involve a few queries about my attendance). I finished my degree with a solid 2:1 and academic prize. There are many others.

The fact is that the UK is a "Western country", and in the UK universities should treat those with illness' and disabilities symapthetically. Under the Equality Act of 2010 they have a legal obligation not to discriminate (place at a disadvantage) people who have a disability, which might cover the OP (and people with mental illness' more broadly such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia).

They already have your money and they don't want you to affect the exam statistic knowing you are likely to fail.. Probably that.

Again, nonsense.

It's not about affecting the "exam statistic". What does matter to them is their completion rate. Having a student withdraw from the course now does still affect their dropout/completion statistics - which are used for league tables.

The university appear to have acted unreasonably. Usually when a student has poor attendance the university will invite them , then, should the poor attendance persist, will consider action such as "Keeping of Terms". A university should not forcefully withdraw a

I should start by saying my attendance at University is pretty awful. I've got a reason for it but it's more a psychological issue than a physical one so I never really considered it a 'real' reason.

Do you have a diagnosis? Because the reason is more psychological than physical does not make it any less of a "real reason".

What angers me is that I've since looked up Salford's rules on this sort of thing and not only were they supposed to warn me weeks in advance that my attendance was being monitored and may result in my removal from the course - but also that the rules require that Salford informs me I have a right to appeal, something the Head neglected to mention in his e-mail/

I would also speak to your disability service if you feel able to and get support from them. Are you getting any treatment at all? If not speak to your GP and try and get medical evidence. Present this medical evidence to the university.

I appreciate that these things may be difficult for you to do. But, should you want to want to remain at the university and fight this decision, I'm afraid you do need to make it clear to them the reasons why your attendance was so poor and provide evidence. They should be sympathetic. If they aren't then consider making a formal complaint, outlining that they have failed to give prior warning and take into account your difficulties.

I'm not criticising you, as I appreciate you were in a difficult position (and don't feel your psychological problem is worthy of consideration), but if you had sought medical help and provided the university with medical evidence earlier this may not have happened. You might also have been able to speak with the disability service and they might have been able to outline some reasonable adjustments, including showing some flexibility when it comes to attendance.

But it might not be too late if you act now.
(edited 10 years ago)
First off, sorry I created an entirely new account to post this but I suppose I could use some advice.

I should start by saying my attendance at University is pretty awful. I've got a reason for it but it's more a psychological issue than a physical one so I never really considered it a 'real' reason. Regardless, this reason stops me attending pretty severely to the point where I freeze up when I so much as try to leave the door. I find it awkward discussing it with my tutors so I tend to think up excuses when they ask where I've been. Do you have a diagnosis for this issue? Is/was anyone at the university aware of your problems?

So with that aside, this is my problem. I recently received an e-mail from the head of the entire University (Salford by the way) informing me that my time on the course has been terminated and they're forcefully withdrawing me for lack of attendance - but what frustrates me is I wasn't warned.

I've received letters before warning me that if I've left the course myself I should get in touch with the University - but since I hadn't left the course, I didn't think there was cause for concern. So this termination e-mail comes as a huge shock. Check the wording of all leters very carefully. Are you sure none of them constitute a warning? It may be argued that you should have taken multiple letters of this type as a warning.

What angers me is that I've since looked up Salford's rules on this sort of thing and not only were they supposed to warn me weeks in advance that my attendance was being monitored and may result in my removal from the course - but also that the rules require that Salford informs me I have a right to appeal, something the Head neglected to mention in his e-mail.It does sound like the university may not have followed proper policy. The best people to contact would be the SU- they will be on your side, and will be able to advocate for you during an appeal.

So long story short, I'm mad. Not because I think I attended well because I agree my attendance was awful - but mad at the fact that Salford have completely ignored most of the protocol here and simply expelled me without the prior warnings they're required to give.

Is there anywhere I can take this which will ensure I get to stay on my course? Contact your SU as a matter of urgency, they will be able to advise better than anyone on here. I've always been really passionate about University and it annoys me that I'm losing my place simply based on a neglected warning.

Cheers in advance.

Comments in bold. I understand some of these things may be difficult for you to do, but if you wish to fight this decision unfortunately you will have to be proactive.

However, if you are having real difficulties with attendance etc, you do need to be honest with yourself. Are you currently mentally well enough to be attending university (And this means doing all the things you are required to do, not just getting good grades)? Do you think fighting this will help your mental health?

Are you currently seaking treatment for your mental health issues? If not, I would really urge you to get help. Struggling to leave the house/attend uni sounds like a pretty severe problem, and your GP should be able to give you some help.

Finally, what year of study are you in? Would you be able to get student finance for a full course in the future?

I hope this helps a bit.
Reply 8
What angers me is that I've since looked up Salford's rules on this sort of thing and not only were they supposed to warn me weeks in advance that my attendance was being monitored and may result in my removal from the course - but also that the rules require that Salford informs me I have a right to appeal, something the Head neglected to mention in his e-mail.

This is your leverage. The failure to follow procedure is your grounds for appeal. In your place I would head straight to the Student Union and ask for their help in negotiating the appeals process.

I know it's difficult, but in your shoes I would also seek formal help for your health issues. They're no less significant than something like a broken leg which might prevent you from leaving the house and getting to campus. You deserve as much help and consideration as anyone in that type of position. The involvement of a GP, counsellor etc might also help with your appeal.

Is there anywhere I can take this which will ensure I get to stay on my course?

Yes, the university's own appeals process. The Student Union should be able to advise on how to start this off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending