The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

History students at Bangor - September 2014

Hey everyone! I've applied to study on the History course after getting an unconditional offer from Bangor. Just wondering if there is anyone on here hoping to study history starting in September? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got an unconditional offer in December to study History at Bangor Sept 2014! :-)
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by JTopHat
I got an unconditional offer in December to study History at Bangor Sept 2014! :-)

Ah awesome! You're the first person I've heard that's doing history aswell haha! :smile:
Original post by philippad
Ah awesome! You're the first person I've heard that's doing history aswell haha! :smile:

I'm doing History as well
Reply 4
Original post by TheBadger96
I'm doing History as well

Great! Have you applied for accomodation yet? :smile:
Reply 5
Just a heads up guys, I'm a current student at Bangor (will be a second year in September), got any queries about the course, etc. feel free to ask.
Reply 6
Original post by Aarun
Just a heads up guys, I'm a current student at Bangor (will be a second year in September), got any queries about the course, etc. feel free to ask.

Ah brilliant, thankyou!
Same as Aarun :P 2nd year to be!
Great! Have you applied for accomodation yet? :smile:
Yeh, I went Yglyder firtsr then Elidar then Briant, you?
Reply 9
Yeh, I went Yglyder firtsr then Elidar then Briant, you?

Reichel standard room, reichel small and seirol! Have you got an unconditional offer?
Reply 10
Original post by Aarun

Hey, got a couple of questions: have you had to buy many extra books for the course or is a lot of the info from the library?, what is the workload in terms of essays like? And are there many opportunities to go on field trips etc? :smile:
Reply 11
Hey, got a couple of questions: have you had to buy many extra books for the course or is a lot of the info from the library?, what is the workload in terms of essays like? And are there many opportunities to go on field trips etc? :smile:

So far (remember, I can only vouch for the first year!) I have yet to buy any books myself, with everything I've used coming from the library or e-books/e-journals.

The workload will be dependent on which module choices you select. This year, the modules I chose resulted in this:

Semester 1:
Archaeology: Principles and Techniques
Essay (1500 words) worth 20%
3-Minute Seminar Performance worth 10%
2 hour exam worth 70%

Apocalypse Then: 14th Century
(compulsory)
Essay 1 (2000 words) worth 10%
Essay 2 (2000 words) worth 30%
Seminar Presentation worth 10%
2 hour exam worth 60%
(and yes, for some reason this module was out of 110%, we're not Mathematicians for a reason, apparently)

Intro to British Prehistory
Essay Plan worth 20%
Essay (2000 words) worth 30%
2 hour exam worth 50%

Semester 2:
Intro to Historic Archaeology
Essay 1 (2000 words) worth 25%
Essay 2 (2000 words) worth 25%
2 hour exam worth 50%

Birth of Modern Europe (compulsory)
Research Bibliography worth 10%
Essay Plan worth 15%
Essay (2000 words) worth 25%
2 hour exam worth 50%

Intro to History and Heritage
Essay Plan worth 20%
2 hour exam worth 50%

Obviously, I cannot truly vouch for the modules that I didn't personally choose, but from what I can tell from my friends, they were all reasonably similar in style to this. Also, whilst this may perhaps seem a bit daunting now, rest assured that the deadlines are all reasonably spaced throughout the year. :smile:

In terms of trips, from what I can tell the majority of the trips do seem to be based on the Archaeology and Heritage modules of the course. In Principles and Techniques, we visited a Viking Age site, in Intro to Historic Archaeology we visited a number of Roman / early Medieval sites and in Intro to History and Heritage we visited some museums (including some in Liverpool).

Hope this has proven to be somewhat helpful. If you have any other questions (even just general questions about the Uni / my experience / anything else you can think of), I'll try my best to answer them. :smile:
Reichel standard room, reichel small and seirol! Have you got an unconditional offer?

No, mine was 280 UCAS points, did you get an unconditional one?
Reply 13
Original post by Aarun
So far (remember, I can only vouch for the first year!) I have yet to buy any books myself, with everything I've used coming from the library or e-books/e-journals.

The workload will be dependent on which module choices you select. This year, the modules I chose resulted in this:

Semester 1:
Archaeology: Principles and Techniques
Essay (1500 words) worth 20%
3-Minute Seminar Performance worth 10%
2 hour exam worth 70%

Apocalypse Then: 14th Century
(compulsory)
Essay 1 (2000 words) worth 10%
Essay 2 (2000 words) worth 30%
Seminar Presentation worth 10%
2 hour exam worth 60%
(and yes, for some reason this module was out of 110%, we're not Mathematicians for a reason, apparently)

Intro to British Prehistory
Essay Plan worth 20%
2 hour exam worth 50%

Semester 2:
Intro to Historic Archaeology
Essay 1 (2000 words) worth 25%
Essay 2 (2000 words) worth 25%
2 hour exam worth 50%

Birth of Modern Europe (compulsory)
Research Bibliography worth 10%
Essay Plan worth 15%
Essay (2000 words) worth 25%
2 hour exam worth 50%

Intro to History and Heritage
Essay Plan worth 20%
2 hour exam worth 50%

Obviously, I cannot truly vouch for the modules that I didn't personally choose, but from what I can tell from my friends, they were all reasonably similar in style to this. Also, whilst this may perhaps seem a bit daunting now, rest assured that the deadlines are all reasonably spaced throughout the year. :smile:

In terms of trips, from what I can tell the majority of the trips do seem to be based on the Archaeology and Heritage modules of the course. In Principles and Techniques, we visited a Viking Age site, in Intro to Historic Archaeology we visited a number of Roman / early Medieval sites and in Intro to History and Heritage we visited some museums (including some in Liverpool).

Hope this has proven to be somewhat helpful. If you have any other questions (even just general questions about the Uni / my experience / anything else you can think of), I'll try my best to answer them. :smile:

Ok that's good then about the books! I'm actually really interested in the modules you took, yeh it does seem pretty daunting haha but yeh that's good! Ooh the trips sound really interesting, I thought they'd be quite archaeology-based but I think I want to focus on that aspect a bit anyway! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this, definitely been very helpful!! Brilliant, ok I'll try and have a think! :smile:
Reply 14
No, mine was 280 UCAS points, did you get an unconditional one?

Oh right! Yeh, I left school last year so i already had the grades!
What grades did you get, if you dont mind me asking
Oh right! Yeh, I left school last year so i already had the grades!

My modules differed from Aaruns. I did Intro to Modern, Birth of Modern and Ideas that Shaped the 20th Century. I've only done 3 because I am joint honours and those that I did do were mainly modern. If you want to discuss these I don't mind talking about them
Ok that's good then about the books! I'm actually really interested in the modules you took, yeh it does seem pretty daunting haha but yeh that's good! Ooh the trips sound really interesting, I thought they'd be quite archaeology-based but I think I want to focus on that aspect a bit anyway! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this, definitely been very helpful!! Brilliant, ok I'll try and have a think! :smile:

Thought I'd add something else here. I did one module the same as Aarun and I bought one book for it. I bought 2 books from a second year for a different module too. I just bought them to help me with my essays (they really did help) and just added to what the library had to offer. I found that for one of my modules, the books were limited at one point because everyone had decided to do it at the same time but other than that books are plentiful.
Reply 19

No that's fine! I got 3 c's in English, history and geography and a d in general studies

Quick Reply

Latest