The Student Room Group

I'm unsure on what I need to study!

Right, i'm 19 years old and i'm getting to that point in life where I feel the need to knuckle down and get some good skills under my belt for the future, been thinking about taking a course at my local university but i'm not entirely sure what kind of course I should look for!

So basically, I want to learn programming/coding whatever you want to call it but at the same time I want to learn design (image editing, motion graphics, 2d animation) etc etc AND I also want to learn games design but 2D not 3D!

I've already got about 4 years worth of self taught design skills under me mainly in photoshop and illustrator and i have been looking at alot of computing courses that go through the different types of software development to mobile development which sounds really cool!

So yeah, I'm basically just wondering like what everyones own personal views are on this and what courses you think would suite me best or if your on a course that sounds like what I need to be doing, whats it like? is it worth it etc etc!

Thanks!
You can't learn both. If you go a design route, it will put you in a very different job market that leans more toward web development which has tons of people in it. If you go a programming route, you can learn classical CS that will allow you to apply your design skills later (which should be a talent you naturally have) to not just web development, but tons of projects, and also allow you to work on backend software at banks, Google, Amazon etc.

Unfortunately you won't find a course that merges the two. The most valuable skills as measured by the job market today are those in pure Computer Science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending