The Student Room Group

Both English a levels- overlap?? and do i stand a chance?

Hi,
I take both English literature and English langauge at a-level. I've heard mixed responses about this. Some say 'oh great you get to explore you interests to a greater degree, unis will love this,' while others say 'oooohh you'll never get into any prestigious uni because they're practically the same subject.'
Personally, I feel they complement, but in no way overlap; they entail the development of an entirely different set of skills.

Btw... I'm not going to pretend my other subjects are great either: sociology, and, wait for it.... ICT (eeep!)

I'm going to drop ICT and I'm hoping to get onto a politics course at a RG uni (e.g. Bristol, Manchester, Sheffield, York, Cardiff). My form tutor says that as long as I get the grades (AAA-AAB), I'll be fine.

So, my questions are as follows:
Do you think there is a bad overlap between lang and lit?
Do you think I could get into an RG uni with my terrible subjects?
Original post by famguyfan33
Hi,
I take both English literature and English langauge at a-level. I've heard mixed responses about this. Some say 'oh great you get to explore you interests to a greater degree, unis will love this,' while others say 'oooohh you'll never get into any prestigious uni because they're practically the same subject.'
Personally, I feel they complement, but in no way overlap; they entail the development of an entirely different set of skills.

Btw... I'm not going to pretend my other subjects are great either: sociology, and, wait for it.... ICT (eeep!)

I'm going to drop ICT and I'm hoping to get onto a politics course at a RG uni (e.g. Bristol, Manchester, Sheffield, York, Cardiff). My form tutor says that as long as I get the grades (AAA-AAB), I'll be fine.

So, my questions are as follows:
Do you think there is a bad overlap between lang and lit?
Do you think I could get into an RG uni with my terrible subjects?

No, I did English Language and English Literature. There are some things that you can use from both subjects. To me your subjects are fine. If you can get high grades it shouldn't matter what your subjects are! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I take language and have friends taking literature and think they are entirely different! Some of the terminology is the same but the subects aren't in my opinion. I loved lit and language at GCSE but am so glad I only took up language for A level.
Reply 3
bump
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm not sure about English Language and English Literature, I only done English Lit for AS and then dropped it. But I do Sociology and ICT. I got two offers from Queens University Belfast, which an RG Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest