The Student Room Group

How to get a first

By first, I mean 80%+. What do I need to do?
(edited 10 years ago)
Revise your arse off and get more than 80% in coursework.
Reply 2
From my older brother's experience: it's crucial to follow up after a lecture. So, review and reorganise your notes right after a lecture or within 24 hours (try learning them as well). If you do it regularly, you will find it easier to revise (actually, you won't have much to revise) and you will get good marks in mostly all your courseworks. :smile: Also, don't be afraid to ask questions in tutorials!!! (<- that last bit is really important)
(edited 10 years ago)
You've answered your own question - get over 80%.
If you are working at an 80% level then you're doing fine, if you're above that then you've got some room to relax and if you're below that then you need to do more work.
Original post by TaylorGang_4
By first, I mean 80%+. What do I need to do?

Original thought.

Make sure you talk to your lecturers regularly, read a bigger and wider range of books/papers than what they suggest in class, make sure you meet the assessment criteria but then go beyond that. Have like-minded people to throw ideas around with. Make sure you understand the different theoretical perspectives on whatever it is you're studying and talk about them/through them when you write your essays. (Read Philosophy!!!). Make sure you really understand what the question is asking, be extremely critical and tear it apart before you answer it - many questions have holes in them, point them out. Be specific in defining your terms. Don't just say things - evidence, evidence, evidence, evidence.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending