The Student Room Group

Only person in my A-level class

So the head of sixth form at the new school I'm going to next year rang me to say that I'd be the only person in my AS level music class. I don't really know how to react: I can see that I'd get good tuition and loads of one-to-one teaching, yet I can imagine it being quite lonely and possibly a tad awkward.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Reply 1
You say "Thank you" - there are plenty of places that would have said 'You're the only one wanting it, we're not doing it'.

Obviously, it's going to be different, but you've already got the good bits. You can also talk to the teacher about how you're feeling: they may also be thinking it will be awkward.

I did A-level maths in a class of, erm, four or five because I went for 'modern maths' rather than 'maths'. Much better than being in a class of 20-30.
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
You say "Thank you" - there are plenty of places that would have said 'You're the only one wanting it, we're not doing it'.

Obviously, it's going to be different, but you've already got the good bits. You can also talk to the teacher about how you're feeling: they may also be thinking it will be awkward.

I did A-level maths in a class of, erm, four or five because I went for 'modern maths' rather than 'maths'. Much better than being in a class of 20-30.

if you don't mind me asking, "what is mordern maths and how does it differ to maths?"
This seems surprisingly common for music a-level, at my school there never seem to be more than three or four people taking A2, this year I think there are only two. From what I've heard the first few weeks can be a bit awkward in very small classes, but ultimately it's quite good as if you find yourself stuck on something in particular the teacher can tailor the lesson structure a bit more closely to your understanding.
Reply 4
The people doing maths had to do things like derive the equations for spheres rolling on each other, we had stuff like sets, groups and probability.

It was partly a time-tabling thing - another A-level clashed with 'maths' - but I was quite pleased when I saw the difference in the homework.
Yes, you are not alone. I am the only pupil in my school taking Advanced Higher (A2 level or thereabouts) German. I initially was a bit hesitant about class in case it would be awkward, but tbh you soon get used to it and build up a rapport with the teacher. I appreciate being able to be taught one-on-one! :tongue:
Reply 6
Thanks guys
Someone in my year is the only one taking A level Greek and she says she likes the fact that it's one to one :smile:
Reply 8
My college wouldn't let me do music technology because demand was too low. I'm so thankful I chose economics instead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I was going to be the only one in an A-level class so my sixth form cancelled the class

Quick Reply

Latest