The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Which accomodation to pick at Plymouth University?

I've received my offer for the University of Plymouth and am now looking at accomodation! I'm not sure which one to choose! I love the Francis Drake and Radnor Halls but i'm worried i won't have enough money to do other stuff such as going out?
Can anyone give me any advice on the different halls of residents? I don't want to stay in private housing!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by tash.emily
I've received my offer for the University of Plymouth and am now looking at accomodation! I'm not sure which one to choose! I love the Francis Drake and Radnor Halls but i'm worried i won't have enough money to do other stuff such as going out?
Can anyone give me any advice on the different halls of residents? I don't want to stay in private housing!

Hi

in the same boat! I've been checking & getting in touch with ads on Gumtree, easyroommates, etc.. however, I'm still trying to figure it out!

BTW; I'm moving in April, will be doing PhD. What are you studying?

Cheers! Emad
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2

I am in the same boat! If you're looking for dirt cheap I heard that Gilwell is good for your budget, if you don't mind single sex flats? Not sure of how helpful that is, good luck with it all!
Reply 3
Reply 4
Francis Drake is generally considered to be the best, although the most expensive. It's all relatively new and there's good views available from the higher floors. In the campus itself so as close to the uni as you're gonna get. There's 10 people per flat.

Mary Newman is the other halls that are situated on-campus. It's fairly new also, and pretty similar to Francis Drake. I believe there's also 10 people a flat there too.

Radnor is where I stayed. It's 6 people per flat. Not as new or as fancy as Francis Drake but it served me well for my first year. It's about 2 minute walk to the uni.

Pilgrim is very much like Radnor. Barely any difference between them. It's also right next door. So also a 2 minute walk to the uni.

Robbins is fairly decent. It has a lecture theatre literally right underneath it, so perfect if you have any lectures there in the morning! I think there's around 6-8 people a flat. Same location as Radnor/Pilgrim.

Gilwell is the value halls. It's generally considered to be the worst out of them all, not that means it's awful but it's not as modern or fancy as the others. Same location as Radnor, Pilgrim and Robbins so barely a minute's walk to the campus. Not sure exactly how many per flat but I believe around 5 or 6.

I understand that the above descriptions are fairly brief so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability. Naturally I know the most about Radnor, as that was my home for a year :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by eoal
Hi

in the same boat! I've been checking & getting in touch with ads on Gumtree, easyroommates, etc.. however, I'm still trying to figure it out!

BTW; I'm moving in April, will be doing PhD. What are you studying?

Cheers! Emad

It's so difficult! I just want a nice room with nice people and not have to worry about money and stuff!:L

I'm going in September (if i get the grades) to do Psychology with Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies! What about you??
Reply 6
Original post by cakefish
Francis Drake is generally considered to be the best, although the most expensive. It's all relatively new and there's good views available from the higher floors. In the campus itself so as close to the uni as you're gonna get. There's 10 people per flat.

Mary Newman is the other halls that are situated on-campus. It's fairly new also, and pretty similar to Francis Drake. I believe there's also 10 people a flat there too.

Radnor is where I stayed. It's 6 people per flat. Not as new or as fancy as Francis Drake but it served me well for my first year. It's about 2 minute walk to the uni.

Pilgrim is very much like Radnor. Barely any difference between them. It's also right next door. So also a 2 minute walk to the uni.

Robbins is fairly decent. It has a lecture theatre literally right underneath it, so perfect if you have any lectures there in the morning! I think there's around 6-8 people a flat. Same location as Radnor/Pilgrim.

Gilwell is the value halls. It's generally considered to be the worst out of them all, not that means it's awful but it's not as modern or fancy as the others. Same location as Radnor, Pilgrim and Robbins so barely a minute's walk to the campus. Not sure exactly how many per flat but I believe around 5 or 6.

I understand that the above descriptions are fairly brief so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability. Naturally I know the most about Radnor, as that was my home for a year :smile:

Thank you! I really want to stay in Francis Drake! Do you know how the accomodation process works? Do you get to choose your choices and they will try and allocate you within your first or second choice? Or do they just plonk you wherever? There isn't much information on the website! I will be going through the University website, not the other ones such as UNITE!
Reply 7
You are forgetting the major thing here, you don't get to pick. You are asked to provide a price bracket that you can afford, then you get allocated a place.
Reply 8
Original post by iainvg
You are forgetting the major thing here, you don't get to pick. You are asked to provide a price bracket that you can afford, then you get allocated a place.

The website says "You can tell us which buildings you prefer and the room you want to stay in."

Also I emailed their accommodation office who confirmed this and said rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis.
Reply 9
They said that to me as well back in 2009, but when it comes down to the actual allocation, they don't actually take notice of it. You get placed at their discretion. I asked for a cluster flat extended room in MN, I got a studio flat in FD.

A few of my coursemates put down that they wanted FD and got placed in Robbins. Because Logic.
(edited 10 years ago)
Think I'm going for Robbins, mixed genders of course. If not Radnor... To be honest just want mixed and a bathroom and a kitchen don't really care where aslong as it isn't gilwell... lol, if you know what I mean haha XD
I'm not sure where to apply for at the moment either! Although I will be making the decision soon! Do you pay for the accommodation after you leave in first year or does it get added to the course fees?
Reply 12
Original post by meganlouised
I'm not sure where to apply for at the moment either! Although I will be making the decision soon! Do you pay for the accommodation after you leave in first year or does it get added to the course fees?

I think it comes out every term! Thats what my friend said anyway!
Reply 13
Original post by colettemarie
Think I'm going for Robbins, mixed genders of course. If not Radnor... To be honest just want mixed and a bathroom and a kitchen don't really care where aslong as it isn't gilwell... lol, if you know what I mean haha XD

I know Gilwell scared me:frown: do you know if they give like a weeks notice before the process opens or do they just tell us on the day??
Anyone has any thoughts on Astor House? It's around the same price as Francis Drake, but 10 mins away from the university. It looks nicer to me though.
I know Gilwell scared me:frown: do you know if they give like a weeks notice before the process opens or do they just tell us on the day??

You can already sign up for accommodation and choose which place you prefer. I've already done it. They haven't allocated the places as yet though because I think accommodation officially opens in mid-April.
Reply 16
Original post by aalightburn
Anyone has any thoughts on Astor House? It's around the same price as Francis Drake, but 10 mins away from the university. It looks nicer to me though.

Im still torn between Astor House and Frobisher House but ill probably choose Frobisher because its closer to the universit
Reply 17
Original post by MikeyP96
Im still torn between Astor House and Frobisher House but ill probably choose Frobisher because its closer to the universit

What happens if we dont get our preference? Can we ask to change?:/
Original post by MikeyP96

Froshiber house was my second preference if I remember correctly, but I still hope to get Astor house. Oh well, we'll see what happens :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by aalightburn
You can already sign up for accommodation and choose which place you prefer. I've already done it. They haven't allocated the places as yet though because I think accommodation officially opens in mid-April.

You can register and pick preferences but thats just like a survey to show the staff what students prefer, you pick your real preference when the process opens and you only get one preference :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending