The Student Room Group

Lose body fat and gain muscle

I've been going to gym regularly 2-3 times a week since October.

I started out doing heavy cardio with no weight lifting at all, I lost about 3-4kg.

I was on a diet calorie deficit and I was told I was also "losing muscle mass" by peers.

I had a 3 week break over Xmas from the gym, and after coming back in the new year I changed my routine and began lifting weights and gained some muscle and strength. I've cut down on cardio as a result during gym sessions, and my diet has returned to normal calorie intake. I've been particularly trying to eat more protein though, less carbs.

I want to know the best method for gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. What can I do? What should my gym routine be?

What's the best method in terms of diet? Cause if you eat too little, you lose weight and muscle, but eating more you won't lose fat.

I will be taking a "gym hiatus" around mid-April till 20th June when I have exams. But after my exams I intend on going to the gym everyday intensively.

So perhaps when I'm not in the gym during this period how can I maintain my muscle mass and lose body fat in terms of diet? I will be able to still do simple exercises during this period - sit ups, press ups.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Either lose fat or gain muscle, it's very difficult/impossible to do both.

You don't really need to take a break from the gym during exams do you? One hour out your day is nothing.

What's your weight and height?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's perfectly possible to do both

and I know from personal experience
Reply 3
Original post by Reps4Jesus

You don't really need to take a break from the gym during exams do you? One hour out your day is nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only go to the gym at my school and I will be going on exam leave and won't have to be in school. I live about 45 minutes drive away from school so it isn't very ideal to be driving into school just to use the gym than coming back home...

I mean I do love working out I'm not trying to find a poor excuse but during exam time I think I will stop the gym for a bit.

I'm currently 17 years old. (Will be 18 in June). I'm about 5'9" and I weigh 70.5kg.

How does this affect my routine? Thanks for the help so far.

Original post by yo radical one

Please share your experience!
Reply 4
Google the workout routine Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 and do that 3 times a week (with a day's rest between each workout) and decide if you want to eat at a caloric surplus or deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're cutting whilst lifting as a complete beginner, you can gain muscle - in fact, many beginners are in a caloric defecit when they start lifting because they have yet to realise the importance of diet, but they still put on a significant amount of muscle because the stimulus is totally new to them (I'm one of these people). If you've got a few months of lifting experience though and you're past the newb gains phase, you're gonna be disappointed if you try to gain muscle on a cut.
Google the workout routine Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 and do that 3 times a week (with a day's rest between each workout) and decide if you want to eat at a caloric surplus or deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either that, or if ICF looks a bit high volume then look up something like Fierce5 or AllPro's.
Reply 7
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you're cutting whilst lifting as a complete beginner, you can gain muscle - in fact, many beginners are in a caloric defecit when they start lifting because they have yet to realise the importance of diet, but they still put on a significant amount of muscle because the stimulus is totally new to them (I'm one of these people). If you've got a few months of lifting experience though and you're past the newb gains phase, you're gonna be disappointed if you try to gain muscle on a cut.

I thought having lifted 2-3 times a week since October would have put him past these noob gain stages but it differs for everyone I suppose.

OP, lift for 1-2 months at a deficit and look at yourself in the mirror to see if you've put on muscle. If not, decide whether to eat at a caloric surplus or deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Firstly i am also 17 and i think i can help, i was given a workout and nutrition plan from my rugby team which is really helping me, i gain 1-2lbs of lean muscle a month roughly. Id reccomend only working out for three days a week with two rest days between and the weekend off, as for your diet cut out any junk food because that will make you fat, and find out how many calories you burn a day and go 100-200 calories over that. Now id try this workout plan to start because i dont know what equipment you have access to,all you need is dumbells and a pull up bar. Monday: dumbell press 6-12x3 dumbell flys 6-12x3 pushups 6-12x3 dips 6-12x3 Wednesday:tongue:ullups 6-12x3 dumbell rows 6x12x3 chinups 6-12x3 curls 6-12x3 hammer curls 6-12x3 friday: deadlifts 6-12x3 calf raises 6-12x3 alternating dumbell press 6-12x3 side raises 6-12x3 reverse flys 6-12x3 shrugs 6-12x3
I thought having lifted 2-3 times a week since October would have put him past these noob gain stages but it differs for everyone I suppose.

OP, lift for 1-2 months at a deficit and look at yourself in the mirror to see if you've put on muscle. If not, decide whether to eat at a caloric surplus or deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah I was just saying in general for anyone reading (some guy above said he cut+gained simultaneously, so just providing an outline of circumstances in which it'd be possible). Like I said, a few months in and you're gonna be past your real newb gains.
Reply 10
Original post by WoodyMKC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys, I'll look up the Ice cream thing...

I'm sorry if I did not make myself too clear in the OP, I started the gym in October but did no lifting just cardio with the aim to lose weight. But after a break and resuming in New Year I began lifting for the first time, and yes I feel like I've gained muscle in 1-2 months! (I thought it was all in my mind)

I mean my biceps and chest are more prominent than before the New Year. My strength also seemed to have improved really quickly, I started I used the bicep/chest machines on the lowest weights (9kg) but now I can comfortably use 37kg, several intervals more than before...

I also recently started using free weights which I used to find impossible to curl more than 1.

But since the New Year I've been eating normally. (but I try to eat more protein)

I'm happy with my muscle gains, but I don't see myself losing anymore fat, hence I'm trying to find the perfect solution for both.

Thanks a lot for the help once again!
Reply 11
Original post by UnknownGuy
Thanks guys, I'll look up the Ice cream thing...

I'm sorry if I did not make myself too clear in the OP, I started the gym in October but did no lifting just cardio with the aim to lose weight. But after a break and resuming in New Year I began lifting for the first time, and yes I feel like I've gained muscle in 1-2 months! (I thought it was all in my mind)

I mean my biceps and chest are more prominent than before the New Year. My strength also seemed to have improved really quickly, I started I used the bicep/chest machines on the lowest weights (9kg) but now I can comfortably use 37kg, several intervals more than before...

I also recently started using free weights which I used to find impossible to curl more than 1.

But since the New Year I've been eating normally. (but I try to eat more protein)

I'm happy with my muscle gains, but I don't see myself losing anymore fat, hence I'm trying to find the perfect solution for both.

Thanks a lot for the help once again!

Try some aggressive cardio - e.g 50-200m all out sprints. It'll cause you to lose fat whilst encouraging muscle growth

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a medic and train 2 hours most days a week. Few years back, I was training twice a week the week before exams.

Anyone who takes time off gym because of exams is not a pussy - just a ****ing idiot. Exercise is as important to the body as urinating, ****ting, or as important as taking a shower or eating. It's a basic bodily function. You wouldn't not eat for a week, so why would you not exercise for a week? People need to sort their priorities out.
Original post by yo radical one

Me too. And I was held back by the internet telling me it wasn't possible.

Everyone is different, but my diet was clean and I ate around maintenance not counting the cardio and gym. Sometimes ate a bit more but it was clean.

I did carb cycling to an extent...but mostly very low carbs and protein to very high levels.

First book I read on bodybuilding/nutrition 12 years ago - Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, great book and I don't understand why more people haven't read it!
Original post by Beardbrah
I'm a medic and train 2 hours most days a week. Few years back, I was training twice a week the week before exams.

Anyone who takes time off gym because of exams is not a pussy - just a ****ing idiot. Exercise is as important to the body as urinating, ****ting, or as important as taking a shower or eating. It's a basic bodily function. You wouldn't not eat for a week, so why would you not exercise for a week? People need to sort their priorities out.

Everybody is different. My mate worked out everyday and got a double first at Cambridge.

I had to stop on the other hand during exam time. I did it in the run up to the exam period once and it killed me in the exams - the energy it zaps from you. In my final year of university, I didn't exercise at all and got all firsts, graduating with one.

I didn't stop just because of exams/final year but I wouldn't judge people who do.

Also my state now is different to my state then and my state 4 years ago. I can squat everyday and push myself everyday no problem. After leaving uni I couldn't do 13 pullups, and the last ones were with bad form. I was aching for days later just from that one set. And my tendons were hurting. Now I can do 40 without a problem, I don't ache the next day and can pop out just over 30 when I've tried.
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed, ive been back at the gym for the past 2 months after several years of not going to one or swimming like i used to and i have the issue where im loosing body fat % quite rapidly, but not really loosing much weight as im putting it back on in muscle, and muscle weighs far more than body fat. But even thought im not loosing actual weight as fast as I am body fat % it doesnt matter as im still gaining muscle AND loosing fat, which is what i want! :biggrin:

I naturally have a high protein diet, were italian so we eat A LOT of meat, pretty much every day, and i also eat buffalo and goats cheese rather than regular cheeses made from cows milk. I dont do 'protein shakes' theres so much crap in them that no one should put in their bodies. I find that eating a high protein food about an hour before the gym really gives me the boost I need, If i eat or drink something sugary I find that i dont do as well in the gym.

My routine in the gym is simple, I do 20 mins on the Excite + technogym - which is a upper body trainer that builds muscle mass and gives cardio work out, it really burns the arms :tongue:
Then I do 15 mins on the tredmill on a power walk with 4.5 gradient, I dont run as I have a back problem so can put any impact on it.
Then i do 30mins on the bike on a moderate hard level, i find that this gives me the best cardio work out and really helps with my legs and inner thighs.

This has been a good balance for me and i go the gym 3-4 times a week, or when I can, but I also have other exercise as well as I have a very large and active german shepherd that I walk every day in various places so since having him after not having a dog for a few years up until about 2 years ago has helped a lot with getting out and about.

xo
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by UnknownGuy
I've been going to gym regularly 2-3 times a week since October.

I started out doing heavy cardio with no weight lifting at all, I lost about 3-4kg.

I was on a diet calorie deficit and I was told I was also "losing muscle mass" by peers.

I had a 3 week break over Xmas from the gym, and after coming back in the new year I changed my routine and began lifting weights and gained some muscle and strength. I've cut down on cardio as a result during gym sessions, and my diet has returned to normal calorie intake. I've been particularly trying to eat more protein though, less carbs.

I want to know the best method for gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. What can I do? What should my gym routine be?

What's the best method in terms of diet? Cause if you eat too little, you lose weight and muscle, but eating more you won't lose fat.

I will be taking a "gym hiatus" around mid-April till 20th June when I have exams. But after my exams I intend on going to the gym everyday intensively.

So perhaps when I'm not in the gym during this period how can I maintain my muscle mass and lose body fat in terms of diet? I will be able to still do simple exercises during this period - sit ups, press ups.

Thanks.

First if you want to do this I would suggest you tackle one thing at a time, first lose weight and then gain muscle. Do this in a healthy way is also advised, looking after your body is important. The best thing I would suggest you start with going for a walk every day or few days for at least 40mins. Walk at a fast pace that makes you nearly brake out into a sweat, this not only slims you down but will also help your body change how it takes on calories when you eat. I hope this helps, but please don't go crazy with the weight loss, remember your health is the most important thing.
Reply 17
Original post by tfsdeth
Indeed, ive been back at the gym for the past 2 months after several years of not going to one or swimming like i used to and i have the issue where im loosing body fat % quite rapidly, but not really loosing much weight as im putting it back on in muscle, and muscle weighs far more than body fat. But even thought im not loosing actual weight as fast as I am body fat % it doesnt matter as im still gaining muscle AND loosing fat, which is what i want! :biggrin:

I naturally have a high protein diet, were italian so we eat A LOT of meat, pretty much every day, and i also eat buffalo and goats cheese rather than regular cheeses made from cows milk. I dont do 'protein shakes' theres so much crap in them that no one should put in their bodies. I find that eating a high protein food about an hour before the gym really gives me the boost I need, If i eat or drink something sugary I find that i dont do as well in the gym.

My routine in the gym is simple, I do 20 mins on the Excite + technogym - which is a upper body trainer that builds muscle mass and gives cardio work out, it really burns the arms :tongue:
Then I do 15 mins on the tredmill on a power walk with 4.5 gradient, I dont run as I have a back problem so can put any impact on it.
Then i do 30mins on the bike on a moderate hard level, i find that this gives me the best cardio work out and really helps with my legs and inner thighs.

This has been a good balance for me and i go the gym 3-4 times a week, or when I can, but I also have other exercise as well as I have a very large and active german shepherd that I walk every day in various places so since having him after not having a dog for a few years up until about 2 years ago has helped a lot with getting out and about.

xo

Doing cardio and upper body is all well and good but dont ignore legs, they are just as important
hmmm.. well i was born god like, if ur not good at it u should just stop cause ur embararsing urslf and
Now it's possible, lose body fat and gain muscle. Visit at http://goo.gl/97GGV7

Quick Reply

Latest