The Student Room Group

Student Finance help: kicked out by father

At the moment I am living with my nan as I was kicked out by my father. I want to apply to student finance but as he is still living in the house I am registered at I need his income details as well as my mothers. Is there a way around this? I haven't spoken to him since June last year and the only reason he is still living at home is because he won't leave. My parents are planning to have a divorce but it has not happened yet. I really need help as I am at a loss at what I can do? Any help will be appreciated!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Tiva96
At the moment I am living with my nan as I was kicked out by my father. I want to apply to student finance but as he is still living in the house I am registered at I need his income details as well as my mothers. Is there a way around this? I haven't spoken to him since June last year and the only reason he is still living at home is because he won't leave. My parents are planning to have a divorce but it has not happened yet. I really need help as I am at a loss at what I can do? Any help will be appreciated!

Can you get a letter from a solicitor saying your parents are seperated? Student finance will accept that. Or evidence you are estranged from you dad from a professional.
Reply 2
You need estrangement evidence. It's a little complicated as you're only restrained from one parent, yet both are living together still, but should be doable. I'd call the student finance and ask how best to go about it.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
Can you get a letter from a solicitor saying your parents are seperated? Student finance will accept that. Or evidence you are estranged from you dad from a professional.

Who would count as a professional? My head of sixth form knows about the situation. What would the evidence have to be?
Reply 4
Original post by Tiva96
Who would count as a professional? My head of sixth form knows about the situation. What would the evidence have to be?

You would have to confirm this with student finance but I believe a letter from the head of 6th form confirming your situation should be fine
So you fell out with your dad but are in contact with your mum?

No chance of estrangement!
Reply 6
Original post by balotelli12
So you fell out with your dad but are in contact with your mum?

No chance of estrangement!

eh? It's not as if he's living with his parents and claiming to be estranged from his dad.
Irrelevant.
If it were that easy we'd all shack up with nan for a couple of months and get full grants and loans.
If you're living with your grandmother, it may be that her household income is the household income you put down on the SF form. I'm not sure though - but do check.

Estrangement is very difficult to prove.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you're living with your grandmother, it may be that her household income is the household income you put down on the SF form. I'm not sure though - but do check.

Estrangement is very difficult to prove.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, student finance always go off the parents unless the grandmother has proof of being the official guardian

Quick Reply

Latest