The Student Room Group

Is a modern language A level valuable?

I attended school in Japan for many years and I have been advised to take the A2 Japanese exam before I start A levels.
I am positive that I will get an A*, but will universities value my Japanese A level even if I have no intention to study the language at university?
Also, will I still have to choose four subjects at AS even if I already have one A2 qualification?
Reply 1
Original post by hanaikusa
I attended school in Japan for many years and I have been advised to take the A2 Japanese exam before I start A levels.
I am positive that I will get an A*, but will universities value my Japanese A level even if I have no intention to study the language at university?
Also, will I still have to choose four subjects at AS even if I already have one A2 qualification?

Yes yes yes!

Japanese may not be a traditional modern language like French or Spanish etc. but it will still be very valued by universities. Some say an A Level language is the hardest subject to get a good grade in, because it tests all aspects of your ability, you have to excel in every area to get the best marks.

If universities do not value Japanese (and you must be stupid not to) then employers will. Employers love those who can speak many languages and it is important for those applying for jobs in today's world that they are able to communicate and if necessary work in another country where they may speak another language.
Languages are always sought after and are not only fun, but open up so many doors to so many jobs in so many countries all around the world.

Whats there to lose!

Quick Reply

Latest