The Student Room Group

No matches on Tinder?

I signed up to Tinder last Friday. I have literally liked 99.5% of girls on there, I'd guess a ball park figure of about 800 girls liked, and have not had one single match. Now I know I'm more Bradley Branning than Bradley Cooper but still. I'm not Leo DiCaprio but I'm not the elephant man. Has anyone else had such a **** experience using Tinder?

My pictures below. Like I say I know I'm not good looking, I know I'm not even average, probably around a 3/4 out of 10, but 0 Matches out of 800??

Scroll to see replies

Don't use Tinder if it's getting you down. Remember those sites are almost purely about looks.
Tinder is not representative of real life.
If you're a normal guy,You know yourself full and well if you chat up 800 girls, you could get with around 80 of em and let's say sleep with at least 10.
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Don't use Tinder if it's getting you down. Remember those sites are almost purely about looks.

Actually, I've heard that the Android version of the app doesn't match properly, while the iPhone version is the only one that has a fully functional matching system
Original post by 9MmBulletz
If you're a normal guy,You know yourself full and well if you chat up 800 girls, you could get with around 80 of em and let's say sleep with at least 10.

Pretty much this.

OP keep your chin up. Also dating sites are simply a shopping mall where people look for exclusive items that cannot be found on the high street. The longer you're on there, the more your confidence and overall self-worth will drop. Same applies to most young people (mainly men) who spend their days on it.
Reply 5
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Pretty much this.

OP keep your chin up. Also dating sites are simply a shopping mall where people look for exclusive items that cannot be found on the high street. The longer you're on there, the more your confidence and overall self-worth will drop. Same applies to most young people (mainly men) who spend their days on it.

But no matches? Not a single one. Like I say, I knew I wasn't anything special, but didn't realise 0 girls out of 800 didn't want me
Reply 6
That really isn't a great picture.. Haven't you got any showing you outside, with friends?
Original post by Siman89
But no matches? Not a single one. Like I say, I knew I wasn't anything special, but didn't realise 0 girls out of 800 didn't want me

Online is different from in person though. 800 might swipe you off online but in person you'll definitely get some look-ins... but like the guy above me said.. you probably need better pics - but you're not ugly imo.
Reply 8
wtf is tinder?
Reply 9
It's Tinder. Requirements go up by a good 3-4 points because the picture is literally ALL there is to go on.
Reply 10

As low as 10? I'd pretty disappointed with that success rate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually yes and no.

I've been online enough to know that looks>majority of your appeal. You basically have to make an effort to **** things up if you get women randomly messaging you for sex if they are attracted to you.

Average joes, which the Op is, are facing an uphil struggle.

Tinder is something I dont want to use as every tom, dick and his mutt is using it. I know plenty of player-types who have incredible vanity issues with these things and want the best pictures of them on it.

These pictures are what the girls seek. They want the top 10% on tinder because "they're worth it".

When you give women the power through online dating sites and apps, your ability to get a lay up or attention as a man is severaly diminished.

An ugly/average chick can get attention from good looking guys no matter what. Those guys will **** her and that further inflates her ego.

Dont get me started on the pretty girls, they are like hot coals.
Original post by TSRgawdlike
Actually yes and no.

I've been online enough to know that looks>majority of your appeal. You basically have to make an effort to **** things up if you get women randomly messaging you for sex if they are attracted to you.

Tinder is something I dont want to use as every tom, dick and his mutt is using it. I know plenty of player-types who have incredible vanity issues with these things and want the best pictures of them on it.

These pictures are what the girls seek. They want the top 10% on tinder because "they're worth it".

When you give women the power through online dating sites and apps, your ability to get a lay up or attention as a man is severaly diminished.

An ugly/average chick can get attention from good looking guys no matter what. Those guys will **** her and that further inflates her ego.

You sound pretty bitter about this. Surely they want the top 10% because they feel they can get them? If you see an average looking girl and an attractive looking girl, who do you go for?

I haven't used Tinder as I've got a girlfriend, but I think the problem is that any guy can go on it, and upload a picture, so as you say, you're going to get a massive bell curve with the best looking guys getting all the messages. Talking to women in real life takes actual courage and skill, so you have an advantage by doing that.

One thing I have read is that people do better of Tinder with a fun photo. The OP is an alright looking guy, but that photo wouldn't stand out from a list, it doesn't show much personality.
Original post by TSRgawdlike
Actually yes and no.

Tbh, I find going out to meet girls more effective than online.

On Tinder, girls get 10+ matches a day, so they start being picky.

I know myself I don't really have troubles in real life. I'm tall, look athletic and would like to say I look better than most. When I go out, if I want to get a phone number/pull, I know I can. And that's without me lowering my standards (possible beer goggles haha) On Tinder, it's just not in my favour. I did hear that the matching thing is messed up on Android phones however.

Tinder is a bit black and white as a guy- if you're good looking enough, you'll get loads of matches and it'll boost your ego. If you're average to above average, you'll think you're an ugly mutt because of the lack of matches, thus deflating your ego. Always better to meet people in real life, as you have no idea who's behind that computer screen
Original post by Wade-
As low as 10? I'd pretty disappointed with that success rate

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said at least tbh. Just trying to encourage the guy that the numbers game works better in real life than on TInder.
Reply 15
Original post by Mankytoes
You sound pretty bitter about this. Surely they want the top 10% because they feel they can get them? If you see an average looking girl and an attractive looking girl, who do you go for?

I haven't used Tinder as I've got a girlfriend, but I think the problem is that any guy can go on it, and upload a picture, so as you say, you're going to get a massive bell curve with the best looking guys getting all the messages. Talking to women in real life takes actual courage and skill, so you have an advantage by doing that.

One thing I have read is that people do better of Tinder with a fun photo. The OP is an alright looking guy, but that photo wouldn't stand out from a list, it doesn't show much personality.

It's not the best picture in the world, but I thought we were meant to put pictures just showing us up, so I cropped my face and didn't want to take a selfie. I'm not sure how I'm meant to show a picture with 'personality'. I have pictures with friends I could put up but won't that just confuse the girl as to which one I am, then disappoint her when she realises? Also I don't think the girls in their are interested in guys 'personality'. I don't mean to sound bitter (although I am) but if an ugly guy like myself is picky on that app people would say 'you're too picky, you've got to lower your standards', or 'you're so shallow just trying to get a good looking girl'. Whereas average or even uglier girls expect to get matches with George Clooney and people don't say anything about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
I was interested to see what it was like so I downloaded it. I've had a fair few matches with some girls. Some actually want to talk and meet up... others just use it to rate people and some just want the satisfaction of knowing people think they're hot.

Just change your pics up. Add a bio. Don't take it too seriously.
Original post by Mankytoes

Stop trying to nitpick about something which isn't there.

My post was a truthful reflection of online relations between men and women.

I am the guy in the top % and I have seen enough to know the dynamics of the game.

Average joes with great pictures get more attention. it is all in the picture.

Good looking guys with a knowledge of what gets to a woman are killing it, believe me. There are reason why that if you know you can talk and game women, you will most likely get laid that night in a club or bar.

Same goes for tinder but its harder, you are a static picture compared to your real life self.

The Op might have a dick twice the size of a troup of good looking guys and has great charm but that is all irrelevant with tinder. You cannot carry yourself into a girls head like you would when faced with each other.

Surely they want the top 10% because they feel they can get them? If you see an average looking girl and an attractive looking girl, who do you go for?

haha, if I had a quid.

ugly/average chicks get with better looking men for two reasons.

1: He has no clue he can do better
2: He wants a lay up and thats that

The poisonous thing about this type of thing is that the girl cannot distinguish between who she can have sex with and who she can have a relationship with

You will see many more decent/good looking guys with uglier women. Its a fact.

Things like Tinder exasperate the problem.
Reply 18
Original post by Siman89
It's not the best picture in the world, but I thought we were meant to put pictures just showing us up, so I cropped my face and didn't want to take a selfie. I'm not sure how I'm meant to show a picture with 'personality'. I have pictures with friends I could put up but won't that just confuse the girl as to which one I am, then disappoint her when she realises?

Yeah group photos aren't good, they really irritated me when I went on it as I then had to flick through to see if they had others.
I'd rather a selfie than a badly cropped photo though (selfies aren't great for guys, but better than that)
Or get a friend to take one? :smile:
Maybe another group one up, another doing something active or whatever.
That way, anyone who dismisses you instantly isn't worth it, if they stop to look then hey ho maximise your chances
Reply 19
Original post by marinaim
Yeah group photos aren't good, they really irritated me when I went on it as I then had to flick through to see if they had others.
I'd rather a selfie than a badly cropped photo though (selfies aren't great for guys, but better than that)
Or get a friend to take one? :smile:
Maybe another group one up, another doing something active or whatever.
That way, anyone who dismisses you instantly isn't worth it, if they stop to look then hey ho maximise your chances

Getting a friend to take one seems like a lot of effort just to be rejected again. It's not really the picture that's the problem, it's the face. You can't polish a turd.

Latest

Trending

Trending