The Student Room Group

Please share the latest business models you are being taught...

Morning!

I studied Business Studies from GCSE, through A Level and then at University. It was brilliant, interesting and I could apply the subject immediately in work. Business Studies was the best thing I'd studied and it still serves me well in my job today.

However, that was a while ago and I've been wondering what models are most taught right now? Back in my day, it was all Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, 4 Ps (then the 7 Ps), SWAT Analysis, PEST Analysis etc.

Has it changed? Are there now 20 Ps?

Please can you share a model you've been taught in here? Hopefully this could be quite useful too and we might learn something new.

Jack
PEST can also be PESTLE which is Political, Economic, Sociological, Technological, Legal, Environmental. I learnt that one last year.
We were also taught porters 5 forces but that's been around since the 80s so i would imagine you would have covered that?
Reply 3
Original post by blue n white army
PEST can also be PESTLE which is Political, Economic, Sociological, Technological, Legal, Environmental. I learnt that one last year.

Is Environmental literally the environment, or is it very close the previous four?

We were also taught porters 5 forces but that's been around since the 80s so i would imagine you would have covered that?

It doesn't ring any bells... what is it?

Original post by JHolloran
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, 4 Ps (then the 7 Ps), SWAT Analysis, PEST Analysis are all still being used today! we have covered all of these - and relied upon them as staple theories throughout each year!

I am currently in my 3rd year at Uni studying Business management and have my dissertation to hand in soon!:s-smilie:

Check out my survey - its all about controversial advertising and your opinions to certain ads.

Many thanks :smile: https://www.quicksurveys.com/s/Qp2w7F

Thanks JHolloran, will check it out.

Are there any other models for more specific things like marketing, international business, social media etc?
Reply 4
Original post by Captain Jack
Is Environmental literally the environment, or is it very close the previous four?

Are there any other models for more specific things like marketing, international business, social media etc?

The environmental element within PESTLE is all about the external environmental effects that could occur - such as the flooding this year. I think the expansion from PEST to PESTEL is to incorporate the external factors and include the ever increasing environmental tragedies.

Porters 5 forces is a strategic framework that can be used to better understand an organisations competitiveness and aid in development of the corporate strategy, its a good framework and when used correctly can really help unlock areas of competitiveness within the a sector.

We are currently studying marketing communications and look at communication models by Schramm (1955) and Katz & Lazarsfeld (1955) but my argument is the date of these theories doesn't make them directly applicable to current media channels i.e social media.

International business is an exciting module that covers things such as: multicultural communication, cultural intelligence etc. however i felt that when studying this module that most theories depended on cultural stereotypes which weren't always 100% accurate.

more or less coveredd by the above poster. This diagram gives you the 5 forces and how they link.

http://ibiz.wdfiles.com/local--files/industry-structure/FiveForces.jpg
Reply 6
Original post by JHolloran
The environmental element within PESTLE is all about the external environmental effects that could occur - such as the flooding this year. I think the expansion from PEST to PESTEL is to incorporate the external factors and include the ever increasing environmental tragedies.

Ah, OK thanks for explaining. I guess that does make sense. I always prefer to go for the simple models as most people's tendencies are to over complicate things, e.g. Environmental could probably fit into one of the other categories. But, I do understand that with the greater number of large environmental tragedies, why it might for some businesses be sensible.

Porters 5 forces is a strategic framework that can be used to better understand an organisations competitiveness and aid in development of the corporate strategy, its a good framework and when used correctly can really help unlock areas of competitiveness within the a sector.

We are currently studying marketing communications and look at communication models by Schramm (1955) and Katz & Lazarsfeld (1955) but my argument is the date of these theories doesn't make them directly applicable to current media channels i.e social media.

International business is an exciting module that covers things such as: multicultural communication, cultural intelligence etc. however i felt that when studying this module that most theories depended on cultural stereotypes which weren't always 100% accurate.

more or less coveredd by the above poster. This diagram gives you the 5 forces and how they link.

http://ibiz.wdfiles.com/local--files/industry-structure/FiveForces.jpg

Thanks, I hadn't seen this before (I don't think - perhaps I've just forgotten :biggrin: ) I might try and use this in a TSR meeting!

FiveForces.jpg

I like International Marketing, if you get the chance to gain work experience in an international marketing department I'd highly recommend it.
Reply 7
Morning!

I studied Business Studies from GCSE, through A Level and then at University. It was brilliant, interesting and I could apply the subject immediately in work. Business Studies was the best thing I'd studied and it still serves me well in my job today.

However, that was a while ago and I've been wondering what models are most taught right now? Back in my day, it was all Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, 4 Ps (then the 7 Ps), SWAT Analysis, PEST Analysis etc.

Has it changed? Are there now 20 Ps?

Please can you share a model you've been taught in here? Hopefully this could be quite useful too and we might learn something new.

Jack

Pestel seems unnecessary to me, legal fits into political and environmental fits into technological.

Michael Porter is a good read, his five forces plus his three generic strategies, I would also recommend Chandlers structure and strategy.

Business and Organisation Theory is quite interesting as it lies at the juxtaposition of Economics and Sociology, so there are always two contrasting points of view on any given subject.

Some of the big debates I would recommend that you might find interesting would be:

motivational psychology vs principal agent theory
real world decision making models vs transaction cost economics
environmental ecology/evolutionary theory vs neo-institutionalism
multistage game theory vs social network analysis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending