The Student Room Group

I think i want to be a firefighter.

Yep its all in the thread title. im 18, male, quite fit and in good health. Im going around in the world in January for 6 months and could go to Uni when i get back but i dont think its for me so im thinking of joinging the emergency services in the fire dept. So any advice people can give me? Ive searched the web and there is quite alot about the skills and all the examination processes involved but not much about how to get straight into it if you get my drift.
Reply 1
G4Z
Yep its all in the thread title. im 18, male, quite fit and in good health. Im going around in the world in January for 6 months and could go to Uni when i get back but i dont think its for me so im thinking of joinging the emergency services in the fire dept. So any advice people can give me? Ive searched the web and there is quite alot about the skills and all the examination processes involved but not much about how to get straight into it if you get my drift.

Best advice is to just keep trying!!! You will be up against a great number of people per vaccancy. I see your from Birmingham, so keep an eye on the West Midlands Fire Service website for when they are recruiting. I know they have recently had a recruitment campaign, so you may have to wait a while before they do so again. If your not fussy about where you want to work, apply to every brigade that recruits. You can always transfer to other brigades later in your career.

Mark
The entry requirements for becoming a firefighter is that you would need to be fit and in good physical shape so they’re no difficulties in that section. You would need to complete the selection process e.g. taking fitness and practical tests, and some written exams as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending