The Student Room Group

Unemployment + Depression: Put your stories here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by redferry
It seems to me a lot of people looking for jobs are just being too fussy.

I know you're not referring to me here, but just to make clear:

The only rules I have (as well as it being better than my current minimum wage retail job obviously) are that it doesn't revolve around cold-calling, and that the interviewer doesn't have to warn me that I'll be told to **** off by strangers on a regular basis. I've done enough of these pseudo-jobs, which are often only one grade above being an outright scam.

Too often I'm told that I'm unemployed (or under-employed, really) because my expectations are too high, by people who wouldn't consider doing the jobs I've done in a million years.

Part of my current job involves moving things around a warehouse, and the other day I was carrying a big bag of manure. I thought to myself, "I am literally carrying sh!t around for a living." I do not consider menial, low-paid work to be below me. My expectations are just that, given that I have always worked really hard and school, uni, etc. and that I have done so much voluntary work and everything, I should be able to get something a little better than this at my age.

I would suggest you review you CV. They take on newly graduated 2:1ers who are by all accounts clueless and don't make it past the probation period on a regular basis.

Is this an advertising agency or something?
Reply 61
Original post by donutaud15
Yeah. And it's seen as the 'softer' degree.

I applied for business grad schemes but nothing. So now would try to get a masters in comp sci.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a masters is definitely a good plan.
Reply 62
Original post by dnaalpha
I know you're not referring to me here, but just to make clear:

The only rules I have (as well as it being better than my current minimum wage retail job obviously) are that it doesn't revolve around cold-calling, and that the interviewer doesn't have to warn me that I'll be told to **** off by strangers on a regular basis. I've done enough of these pseudo-jobs, which are often only one grade above being an outright scam.

try market research. You are generally calling people who are already customers of the client company so it isn't cold calling, and its easy to get into.

Too often I'm told that I'm unemployed (or under-employed, really) because my expectations are too high, by people who wouldn't consider doing the jobs I've done in a million years.

well I am not one of them. I worked in Cadbury world, survey bats overnight having to live in places like Kent for weeks at a time for round 8 quid an hour and now I talk to builders for a living on a 0 hours contract. I commute an hour each way for the privilege.

Part of my current job involves moving things around a warehouse, and the other day I was carrying a big bag of manure. I thought to myself, "I am literally carrying sh!t around for a living."

I used to do that on a voluntary basis for the local wildlife trust! Also chopping up horsemeat to feed to otters for various wildlife places. All pretty grim but I got there in the end.

I do not consider menial, low-paid work to be below me. My expectations are just that, given that I have always worked really hard and school, uni, etc. and that I have done so much voluntary work and everything, I should be able to get something a little better than this at my age.

Just keep going, the hard work will pay off eventually :smile:

Where is your degree from and what it?

Is this an advertising agency or something?

yeah essentially.
Original post by donutaud15
So now would try to get a masters in comp sci.

Isn't that a bit hard after a degree in media studies? (Not concerning intelligence, but comp sci is often already to mathy for the ones, who really thought of nothing else to do.) Something where you focus more on programming might be more suitable and give you more opportunities, because catching all up in one year seems a bit far fetched, except the case you have a very, very good grasp of Math and the logic behind the languages. (Which might also left you with a year full of theory and debt, but not necessarily the knowledge you need.)
Reply 64
Original post by Nathanielle
Have you considered applying for internships for recent graduates (style: NATO, Parliaments, etc.)? It has also to do a bit with networking, try to go out, talk to the people, ask them what to do in your position? (Although you probably have done that already.)

Or have you considered working with a start up? Those little companies noone has on his radar. (Might don't give you the highest salary with low working hours, but experience and a good deal of possibilities to learn new things.)

In terms of internships, I simply can't afford it. Regardless of money, I applied for so many in the months after uni and for a while afterwards but they won't even look at me lol. It seems that these kind of positions (even unpaid) are looking for people with masters degrees, as most of those who do them seem to be.

I haven't considered working with a start up, no, and that's excellent advice thank you. Do you know how you would go about discovering such businesses though, especially in areas where you don't live?
Here's my story.

I got kicked out (kinda voluntarily) of my parents house when I was 17, was homeless for a bit, tried to look for jobs, failed at anything other than sales (except for some retail here and there), got depressed, lived on my own on JSA, met a guy who told me to go to uni when I was 20, we were together for 2.5 years, he left me 4 months ago, now I'm in my final year at uni and not sure if I'll be able to graduate because I lost all motivation because my ex was the only support I had, and I know that after I graduate my job prospects won't be great either.

Would love to hear more great stories :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 66
try market research. You are generally calling people who are already customers of the client company so it isn't cold calling, and its easy to get into.

Will definitely look into that. It's not something I had even considered before!

well I am not one of them. I worked in Cadbury world, survey bats overnight having to live in places like Kent for weeks at a time for round 8 quid an hour and now I talk to builders for a living on a 0 hours contract. I commute an hour each way for the privilege.
I used to do that on a voluntary basis for the local wildlife trust! Also chopping up horsemeat to feed to otters for various wildlife places. All pretty grim but I got there in the end.

Just to reiterate - I know you aren't one of the people I am moaning about - I was alluding to older people really! £8 an hour is pretty good, better than I've ever had, but given that you had to spend weeks at a time living away then it should have been much higher really.

Ah, 0 hours contract, this is another problem which I have encountered. On a zero hours contract, or work which fluctuates in availability (I went for a telephone surveyor job in London not long ago which was like this) I am quite likely to face prolonged periods of time when I don't have any income at all. If I'm moving hundreds of miles away from any of my support network, I really think you need at some small level of income which you can rely on.

Where is your degree from and what it?

My degree is in History, 2.1, from a top Russell Group uni (just below Oxbridge - most people on my course were Oxbridge rejects).

And thanks, I will look at advertising agencies, and at market research. You've given me some great info here.
Original post by Nathanielle
Isn't that a bit hard after a degree in media studies? (Not concerning intelligence, but comp sci is often already to mathy for the ones, who really thought of nothing else to do.) Something where you focus more on programming might be more suitable and give you more opportunities, because catching all up in one year seems a bit far fetched, except the case you have a very, very good grasp of Math and the logic behind the languages. (Which might also left you with a year full of theory and debt, but not necessarily the knowledge you need.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The masters I was looking into is more of conversion course. It focuses on programming (which I have started learning a while back) but requires maths. Luckily I have a decent teacher in that so I think I'll cope.
Reply 68
Reading this has given me 0 confidence after I graduate...
Reply 69
Will definitely look into that. It's not something I had even considered before!

Just to reiterate - I know you aren't one of the people I am moaning about - I was alluding to older people really! £8 an hour is pretty good, better than I've ever had, but given that you had to spend weeks at a time living away then it should have been much higher really.

And all I get paid for is 3 hours at dusk and 3 hours at dawn, plus travel time it's not a great wage! When you are sitting in the dark 1 hour before dawn at 4 in the morning in the freezing cold trying to keep awake listening to static on the bat detector it definitely doesn't seem worth it!!

Ah, 0 hours contract, this is another problem which I have encountered. On a zero hours contract, or work which fluctuates in availability (I went for a telephone surveyor job in London not long ago which was like this) I am quite likely to face prolonged periods of time when I don't have any income at all. If I'm moving hundreds of miles away from any of my support network, I really think you need at some small level of income which you can rely on.

You have to find a company that doesn't abuse it. Some companies genuinely just do it for flexibility, like mine. I have had one day where there was no work since I started and it doesn't put you out of pocket enough to jeopardise anything.

My degree is in History, 2.1, from a top Russell Group uni (just below Oxbridge - most people on my course were Oxbridge rejects).

And thanks, I will look at advertising agencies, and at market research. You've given me some great info here.

Well that means Bristol or Durham :P

I don't mean this as an insult, but I think you have higher than realistic ideals about your employability - I have a number of ex schoolmates and a couple of good friends who did history at Russel Group Unis, two got 1sts. One now puts make-up on old ladies at Boots and the other did a Masters in Conservation of historic buildings and now works in a coffee show whilst volunteering at a museum. One who got a 2:1 works for a company that essentially does market research and analysis as far as I can tell, so she has a grad job. The other appears to have joined the army from fb.
Reply 70
Original post by Dragonfly07
Here's my story.
I got kicked out (kinda voluntarily) of my parents house when I was 17, was homeless for a bit, tried to look for jobs, failed at anything other than sales (except for some retail here and there), got depressed, lived on my own on JSA, met a guy who told me to go to uni when I was 20, we were together for 2.5 years, he left me 4 months ago, now I'm in my final year at uni and not sure if I'll be able to graduate because I lost all motivation because my ex was the only support I had, and I know that after I graduate my job prospects won't be great either.

Sh!t, sorry to hear that. My advice would be to try and make completing university your goal in itself - so that when you finish you can have that feeling of accomplishment. Despite the fact that people say degrees are worth less these days, that doesn't take away the great achievement that completing one represents, and you should be no less proud when you do so. They may not guarantee a job, far from it, but they improve you as a person and they help to distinguish you as an individual with expertise in something that interests you. If you've got this far, you have the ability to finish it, and I wish you the best of luck in doing so.

I hope that last line isn't a dig at me, because I'm not taking happiness from other people's misfortunes. I live a pretty solitary life these days and it really helps to talk to other people about my situation, and to talk to them about theirs.
Original post by Dragonfly07
Here's my story.

Sorry to hear that. It's hard to do a degree without support but just remember, do it for yourself not anybody else.

My story has similarities to yours. I was kicked out of home at 18 and would have been homeless if it weren't for my husband. Had a place in a good uni but because my circumstances changed drastically I had to settle for a local uni. I was told that I may not be able to finish my degree but now I'm nearly done and pretty much guaranteed a first. However the job front is really getting me down. If I don't get anything, I would have to be a stay at home mum for few years and I'm really not sure I want that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
I don't mean this as an insult, but I think you have higher than realistic ideals about your employability - I have a number of ex schoolmates and a couple of good friends who did history at Russel Group Unis, two got 1sts.

How am I being unrealistic about my employability? (Don't worry I'm not insulted lol)

- I am not expecting to be paid anything even nearing the national average
- I am not expecting a full time contract (at the moment I would genuinely be better off on benefits)
- I am not expecting to break into any particularly competitive sectors
- I am not expecting to enjoy my work, or for it to be meaningful, or to be able to have any self-respect while doing it

I just fail to see what is unrealistic about my expectations. The most I have ever earned was before I went to university and, frankly, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to at least match that now that I'm 'employable' (got lots of experience, etc.)

Also, I should note that I am not a typical 'top tier uni' demographic. My secondary school less than 10% of people who go there go to university at all. Of those, the vast majority go to ex polytechnics and stuff. Going to university opened my eyes to the fact that there are truly 'middle class' people about, if you see what I mean. In university I rarely found anyone that went to a comprehensive school, it was usually a selective grammar or private. If you think I have high expectations, I expect they are right among the lowest of graduates from my degree lol!
Reply 73
How am I being unrealistic about my employability? (Don't worry I'm not insulted lol)

- I am not expecting to be paid anything even nearing the national average
- I am not expecting a full time contract (at the moment I would genuinely be better off on benefits)
- I am not expecting to break into any particularly competitive sectors
- I am not expecting to enjoy my work, or for it to be meaningful, or to be able to have any self-respect while doing it

I just fail to see what is unrealistic about my expectations. The most I have ever earned was before I went to university and, frankly, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to at least match that now that I'm 'employable' (got lots of experience, etc.)

Also, I should note that I am not a typical 'top tier uni' demographic. My secondary school less than 10% of people who go there go to university at all. Of those, the vast majority go to ex polytechnics and stuff. Going to university opened my eyes to the fact that there are truly 'middle class' people about, if you see what I mean. In university I rarely found anyone that went to a comprehensive school, it was usually a selective grammar or private. If you think I have high expectations, I expect they are right among the lowest of graduates from my degree lol!

All I meant really is it is normal to have a struggle to find work and it isn't just you. Just keep trying, you'll find something eventually. I'd aim to apply for at least 20 jobs per week.

Then it is just a matter of time before you get something.

Problem is with these middle class people mum and dad can support them through unpaid internships so they usually get the job they want in the end, whereas that isn't an option for you!

Have you tried applying to Unions?
Reply 74
All I meant really is it is normal to have a struggle to find work and it isn't just you. Just keep trying, you'll find something eventually. I'd aim to apply for at least 20 jobs per week.

Then it is just a matter of time before you get something.

Problem is with these middle class people mum and dad can support them through unpaid internships so they usually get the job they want in the end, whereas that isn't an option for you!

Have you tried applying to Unions?

Haha, yeah I can assure you I exceed 20 applications a week. I dread to think how many I have actually done over the last year, hundreds and hundreds.

Yeah I know, regarding unpaid internships, that's the crux of it really. It completely divides us from them. Even though I have probably saved up enough money to do more unpaid work, for a little while, is it really a wise investment of everything I have? If you think about it, doing unpaid internships guarantees you nothing more than any of the unpaid work I have already done. If I'm investing all the money I have (and probably a fair bit of debt) into living in London for however long, I want something more to show for it than 'something to talk about in interviews.'

Have applied to a couple of jobs for trade unions, but there really isn't much going in that area - they aren't exactly the richest organisations at the moment!
Reply 75
Haha, yeah I can assure you I exceed 20 applications a week. I dread to think how many I have actually done over the last year, hundreds and hundreds.

Yeah I know, regarding unpaid internships, that's the crux of it really. It completely divides us from them. Even though I have probably saved up enough money to do more unpaid work, for a little while, is it really a wise investment of everything I have? If you think about it, doing unpaid internships guarantees you nothing more than any of the unpaid work I have already done. If I'm investing all the money I have (and probably a fair bit of debt) into living in London for however long, I want something more to show for it than 'something to talk about in interviews.'

Have applied to a couple of jobs for trade unions, but there really isn't much going in that area - they aren't exactly the richest organisations at the moment!

Unions run hundreds of 12 month contract jobs every year so I would take a closer look.
Reply 76
Unions run hundreds of 12 month contract jobs every year so I would take a closer look.

Thanks. I can't find much at the moment, but will have an in-depth search and find some good websites etc. for union jobs.

So did you do a masters degree then?
Reply 77
Thanks. I can't find much at the moment, but will have an in-depth search and find some good websites etc. for union jobs.

So did you do a masters degree then?

Yep and I start a PhD in September.

I luckily/unluckily came into enough inheritance money to cover my fees when my grandma died. Although my parents probably could have afforded it anyway given they sent my brother to private school.
Reply 78
Yep and I start a PhD in September.

I luckily/unluckily came into enough inheritance money to cover my fees when my grandma died. Although my parents probably could have afforded it anyway given they sent my brother to private school.

Sorry to hear that. But good luck on your PhD!

I guess the thing is, when you have a sh!tty job but you know that in September you can go back to uni and carry on towards a better future, it is much more easier to accept mentally. In the summers between my university years I did awful jobs, but I never felt depressed like I do now, because I knew that there was an end to it where I would be able to reap the rewards of my efforts.

At the moment, my sh!tty job is the only thing I have, and the only prospect I have. It's so much harder to deal with, because you can't focus on the 'next thing' - there is nothing else.
Reply 79
Sorry to hear that. But good luck on your PhD!

I guess the thing is, when you have a sh!tty job but you know that in September you can go back to uni and carry on towards a better future, it is much more easier to accept mentally. In the summers between my university years I did awful jobs, but I never felt depressed like I do now, because I knew that there was an end to it where I would be able to reap the rewards of my efforts.

At the moment, my sh!tty job is the only thing I have, and the only prospect I have. It's so much harder to deal with, because you can't focus on the 'next thing' - there is nothing else.

Yeah I agree, I was starting to feel just like that when I got my PhD. I'd focus on trying to make a change by moving out and into a job that at least has some sort of career progression.

Quick Reply

Latest