The Student Room Group
Well I suppose it depends where you TC is. Lots of firms have a preference or prefer you to do it where their oiffice is, so in London, Nottm, Manchester etc. Many of the big firms are developing their own LPCs or send you to BPP but at the end of the day as long as you choose the right ele\ctives etc if you are applying afterwards they probably wont care where you've been. Every law school is good for it, and the pass rates are over 90% at them all. I believe BPP is more commercially driven, so v good if you are heading to the field of those type of firms! Good luck.
Reply 2
ooops!
hi everyone,

Another post from ooops!! I don't have a lot to do while I am at home (or at work for that matter) so I spend a lot of time on :tsr2: !!

I am just interested in knowing where you are doing your LPC course and what the best institutions that offer the LPC.

The advice given will help me and other law students as well so I do appreciate your input.

I'm doing mine at Cardiff, which has the top rating from the Law Society. Have a look at their website for the official gradings and reports: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/becomingasolicitor/qualifying/legalpracticecourse/courseproviders.law#index
Reply 3
thanks - thats really useful
I really like the look of BPP, though it seems their fees are pretty big. I also quite like the look of CoL.
I read recently that certain firms, in the future are going to recruit out of certain LPC institutions. I remember that Baker & McKenzie was one such firm.

If you have in mind a certain firm that you want to work for, you should check up on this. It's covered fairly well in Law magasines and probably included on the respective firm's website.
Reply 6
wannabesolicitor
I also quite like the look of CoL.

Be a little careful with CoL, they have changed at least 1 of their sites, and I *think* the others are following, to internet lectures rather than "proper" face-to-face ones. The official line behind this is to increase amount of indiviual contact time available between students and tutors, but the feedback from students (I *think* the trial was done at Chester) has been terrible, and Lawyer2b magazine has slated it.

I'm doing my LPC at University of Sheffield. :smile:
My TC firm didn't mind where I studied :smile:
I'm very excited!! :p:
Reply 7
ellewoods
Be a little careful with CoL, they have changed at least 1 of their sites, and I *think* the others are following, to internet lectures rather than "proper" face-to-face ones. The official line behind this is to increase amount of indiviual contact time available between students and tutors, but the feedback from students (I *think* the trial was done at Chester) has been terrible, and Lawyer2b magazine has slated it.

just out of interest, which firm are you doing you TC at? - if you dont mind saying
ellewoods

The thing about CoL that looks quite cool is that if you do your CPE and your LPC/BVC with them, they award you an LLB. I'd have 2 degrees... sorta! :biggrin:
Reply 9
wannabesolicitor
The thing about CoL that looks quite cool is that if you do your CPE and your LPC/BVC with them, they award you an LLB. I'd have 2 degrees... sorta! :biggrin:

Lol yes, sort of!! :p: Whether that's worth risking your LPC scores for if they completely phase out face to face lecturing is up to you!! :rolleyes:

Erm, Oops I don't really want to say where Im doing my TC on a public forum - I dont really have any reasons why, I just feel weird!! Its a great firm, national with associate firms in Spain, turnover just topped 100m. Think its just Top 20 in the country. Not Magic Circle, but certainly not to be sniffed at, and was my firm of choice for personal reasons, ie, location, main departments, etc., so I'm a happy bunny :smile:

** From those clues, anyone who has read posts from me before, ie, where Iv just bought a house and what law I like best can probably work it out anyways!! :wink: :rolleyes:

Latest