The Student Room Group

SAS to Soften Selection

Britain’s elite Special Forces have been ordered to soften their gruelling entry tests by the Government’s Health and Safety watchdog.
Endurance exercises for those hoping to win places in the SAS and SBS have been made easier following a damning report by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the deaths of three soldiers who collapsed during a 20-mile march over the Brecon Beacons last year.
The move has sparked fury among officers and troops in the tough fighting units, who fear the calibre of soldiers winning places will decline, lives will be put at risk and the regiments’ fearsome reputation will be undermined.

Full article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565717/Health-Safety-chiefs-force-SAS-soften-entry-test-deaths-three-soldiers-training-march.html

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/SAS-soften-selection-test/story-20685903-detail/story.html

What do you guys think of this?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WeeGuy
Britain’s elite Special Forces have been ordered to soften their gruelling entry tests by the Government’s Health and Safety watchdog.
Endurance exercises for those hoping to win places in the SAS and SBS have been made easier following a damning report by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the deaths of three soldiers who collapsed during a 20-mile march over the Brecon Beacons last year.
The move has sparked fury among officers and troops in the tough fighting units, who fear the calibre of soldiers winning places will decline, lives will be put at risk and the regiments’ fearsome reputation will be undermined.

Full article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565717/Health-Safety-chiefs-force-SAS-soften-entry-test-deaths-three-soldiers-training-march.html

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/SAS-soften-selection-test/story-20685903-detail/story.html

thats interesting

i think i a way it makes sense however, when officers are going to be out on the front line its isn't exactly going to be pleasant so they should be able to go through these tough tests and training.

as for those who died in the 20 mile march, i think that it is very unfortunate:frown:
Reply 2
Not being military I don't really know enough about it,

But on a general note, I'd of thought the toughness of the SAS selection would be bench marked for a reason, after all isn't it an elite fighting force? can't just be letting anyone in,

I know most of us guys would love to be a real life action man, but the reality is most of us (self included) wouldn't have the mentality, endurance or physical toughness for it, and I really don't think lowering the bar and potentially letting in those who don't "fit the bill" is a very good idea.

If anything I'd say more lives will probably be lost by letting such people in, because they wont be able to cope or fall short of the standard set by other/already serving soldiers.

It is very unfortunate that some men have lost their lives doing it, and it shouldn't have been allowed to get that far if you ask me, but then isn't the whole point to make it so hard that many try but few succeed?

that's just my take on it, feel sorry for the guys who died though
This is utterly stupid, the whole point is they can be an elite force not some pansy group.

As for the people who died it's clear it was an isolated incident as this isn't a regular thing. Do you think they pansy down all building jobs just because someone falls off a structure once?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I think the whole point of the training was to get the best of the best.

Why would you want to make it easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Just because the pass mark for the test may be made lower doesn't mean that all those who pass it will automatically get in.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Just because the pass mark for the test may be made lower doesn't mean that all those who pass it will automatically get in.

twice as many soldiers passed the recent winter selection than normal.
Reply 7
Original post by WeeGuy

Which was still less than a fifth of participants. But point remains, just because they qualify does not mean they'll get in. The Armed Forces are not an equal opportunities employer, they can set their own standards. Even if people pass the tests they are not guaranteed a spot.
Original post by WeeGuy

I think the health & Safety Executive can 'go do one', buncha out-of-fitness paper-pushing jobsworths.

Maybe a nice well planned SAS S&D on the H&SE head offices would do the trick of reminding the bloated be-suited pigeons about the real world and where the real safety to live comfy nagging lives comes from. Hint: it's not from them.
Reply 9
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
I think the health & Safety Executive can 'go do one', buncha out-of-fitness paper-pushing jobsworths.

I believe the correct term is "REMFs".
Original post by ESPORTIVA
I think the whole point of the training was to get the best of the best.

Why would you want to make it easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because this liberal cesspit of a country quite obviously finds it discriminating to select the best of the best!
Reply 11
Original post by Snagprophet
This is utterly stupid, the whole point is they can be an elite force not some pansy group.

As for the people who died it's clear it was an isolated incident as this isn't a regular thing. Do you think they pansy down all building jobs just because someone falls off a structure once?

Except it wasn't an isolated incident was it?

It wasn't a one off way it?
Reply 12
Perhaps build up to the toughest tests more gradually, but don't get rid of them if that's what you're using to get people of the required ability.
Reply 13
It won't make the slightest bit of difference. You really think the Army is going to all of a sudden start taking Yr9 netballers into SF? Of course not. If changes are made to one part of a course by necessity, they just change the criterion of another part.

Let's say hypothetically for the sake of safety they put in rests and water stops. How will this practically change anything? The best candidates will still be the best candidates regardless. Let's say fewer candidates wrap as a result of changes - just change the pass time from 20 hours or whatever to 19.5 until you have roughly the same number of passes as before. What's the big deal?
"soldiers are dumb animals" Henry Kissinger I respect the forces but wake up fools don't go wasting your lives. You are fighting for your enemy, not your country.
Original post by WeeGuy

Full article

They aren't actually softening selection, they are still having the same tests and standards. As usual, the Daily Mail is scaremongering. They have completely and deliberately misinterpreted what the changes being made will do.

The selection process is still the same. Same standard, same tests, same calibre of recruit

Just because they have greater access to water and food, does not automatically mean they are selected. It is SELECTION. Just because you have passed the test, but only because you stopped for 10 minutes, it does not mean you will be SELECTED.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Clip
It won't make the slightest bit of difference. You really think the Army is going to all of a sudden start taking Yr9 netballers into SF? Of course not. If changes are made to one part of a course by necessity, they just change the criterion of another part.

Let's say hypothetically for the sake of safety they put in rests and water stops. How will this practically change anything? The best candidates will still be the best candidates regardless. Let's say fewer candidates wrap as a result of changes - just change the pass time from 20 hours or whatever to 19.5 until you have roughly the same number of passes as before. What's the big deal?

The selection process including the tests are exactly the same, no changes have been made. Typical Daily Mail scare story. Remember, it is selection, not pass the test and you are in.

Just because 46 passed the test, it does not mean 46 got badged. They didn't. The Daily Mail here purposely left out the part that SAS selection does not just take start and take part only at winter, it is a year(ish) long. So those 46 who started and passed winter 2014 selection tests are still at selection now, and will still even then have to go through a year long probationary training period where they can still be binned.

The only change is that water, food and rest is now allowed, but this does not automatically mean you will be selected, even if you pass the tests.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
As with many sections of the Armed Forces, merely passing a test guarantees nothing.

You can pass the aptitude tests for RAF Pilot - the pass mark is 112 out of 180 - but unless you pass very well, and notably better than average (say 140+), you are unlikely to get selected.
Reply 18
It's also worth pointing out that until the SAS was shoved into the spotlight after the Iranian Embassy siege, there was no formal entry testing for the SAS. You simply applied and were written a letter of recommendation by your boss, if the board thought you were suitable then in you came for further training. When SF started getting overwhelmed with applicants who suddenly decided that door-kicking was for them, selection was introduced to both deter potential timewasters and to be able to fairly process the numbers of people applying.
People have died on selection before, or whilst related to selection, or even whilst on exercise. The idea that they should suddenly start going easy because of that is frankly absurd. Anyway this is only talk, we have no idea if it will actually happen or not. We may never know either so let's just hope it doesn't occur. .

Original post by WeeGuy

Just because they pass the selection that doesn't mean they're in. Once they are in they are basically on probation. Of course a soldier in the SAS can be sent back to their unit at any time anyway, however during the early stages of their time there if they do not come up to the standard or if they screw up they will sent back to their unit. I'm sure the directing staff during selection will still make sure only the best will get through.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending