The Student Room Group

Which University is better for Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering, Leeds or UWE?

Hi, i have received offers from the following Universities to Study Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering:

University of Leeds
UWE Bristol
Swansea University

Overall Leeds is ranked higher then the other two but UWE and Swansea have better graduate prospects then the uni of leeds according to the subject tables of complete uni and guardian ranking system, how accurate is this? how can a uni which is in the top ten have lower job prospects then UWE and Swansea. UWE seems to be a uni which always has high job prospects for engineering no matter which ranking website i go to

My main goal is to go to a university where the work is not too hard (with helpful tutors/lecturers) and the graduate prospects are excellent:colondollar:

So guys which uni do you think is the best for Aero Eng out of the list i gave, am just worried of being ignored by employers once i graduate given the struggles of some friends who have had difficulty finding jobs after graduating.

Thanks for any help guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want good links to Rolls-Royce, Airbus, Agusta Westland then UWE is a good choice as they have ties with all those three companies (and those companies are based in bristol too not 100% sure on agusta though).
Reply 2
Original post by a10
If you want good links to Rolls-Royce, Airbus, Agusta Westland then UWE is a good choice as they have ties with all those three companies (and those companies are based in bristol too not 100% sure on agusta though).

Thanks for that i was thinking the same, but what of the Uni of Leeds? and do you think UWE therefore has better job prospects then the other unis i mentioned
Reply 3
Original post by Sh47
Thanks for that i was thinking the same, but what of the Uni of Leeds? and do you think UWE therefore has better job prospects then the other unis i mentioned

tbh when it comes to job prospects the uni you go to doesn't matter as much as it is you who will be applying so its up to you to do lots of things to improve yourself to increase your chances of success. Of course going to a uni with closer ties will put you in a slightly better position than others, but I would advise you go to the one you like the most(you'll still obtain a good degree from any of the three).
Original post by Sh47

I know UWE is very good at getting undergrads into industry. Generally the graduate prospects seem very good.
Reply 5
Original post by a10
tbh when it comes to job prospects the uni you go to doesn't matter as much as it is you who will be applying so its up to you to do lots of things to improve yourself to increase your chances of success. Of course going to a uni with closer ties will put you in a slightly better position than others, but I would advise you go to the one you like the most(you'll still obtain a good degree from any of the three).

Reply 6
Original post by Brit_Miller
I know UWE is very good at getting undergrads into industry. Generally the graduate prospects seem very good.

I had read about that around the net, was hard to believe given how low the uni is ranked overall. Not many unis that are ranked so low have such high job prospects, but UWE is an exception
Original post by Sh47
I had read about that around the net, was hard to believe given how low the uni is ranked overall. Not many unis that are ranked so low have such high job prospects, but UWE is an exception

Not that bad is it? Usually around the middle whenever I've looked. Massive student base.
Reply 8
Not that bad is it? Usually around the middle whenever I've looked. Massive student base.

Not bad at all, do you think it would be easier to obtain a first-class at UWE then the other unis and since it hovers around the mid table in the ranking surely the work would not be as challenging as the top ranked unis?
Original post by Sh47
Not bad at all, do you think it would be easier to obtain a first-class at UWE then the other unis and since it hovers around the mid table in the ranking surely the work would not be as challenging as the top ranked unis?

Can only really reply in relation to maths. For my course the content is probably a similar level to many unis from 20+, but not as difficult as the top few, no doubt.

Hard to say for the first point. I wouldn't go into it thinking you can get an easy first class degree - only 20% of my cohort did last year. You have to put in the work wherever you go.

Depends what you're looking for I would say. If you want to really test yourself academically, I would aim higher. If you want to enjoy your uni time, and get by from working hard near deadlines/exams, this is probably for you. Personally, I have enjoyed the course and the lecturing really has been excellent, but academically, I wish I'd gone to Bristol for the challenge.
Reply 10
Can only really reply in relation to maths. For my course the content is probably a similar level to many unis from 20+, but not as difficult as the top few, no doubt.

Hard to say for the first point. I wouldn't go into it thinking you can get an easy first class degree - only 20% of my cohort did last year. You have to put in the work wherever you go.

Depends what you're looking for I would say. If you want to really test yourself academically, I would aim higher. If you want to enjoy your uni time, and get by from working hard near deadlines/exams, this is probably for you. Personally, I have enjoyed the course and the lecturing really has been excellent, but academically, I wish I'd gone to Bristol for the challenge.

True never easy to get a first class regardless of the uni, have to put in the hard work.

Which uni are you currently at? so you are saying UWE is better if one would want to get by from working hard near deadlines/exams?
Original post by Sh47
True never easy to get a first class regardless of the uni, have to put in the hard work.

Which uni are you currently at? so you are saying UWE is better if one would want to get by from working hard near deadlines/exams?

I study maths at UWE - from my experience that's the case. :-)
Original post by Sh47

in first year of engineering, only 45% of people passed(40% mark) the maths element of the course

let that sink in
Reply 13
I study maths at UWE - from my experience that's the case. :-)

Not Bad then :smile:, thing is am on a loughborough foundation year and i have one exam left where i need to get an A in a physics to meet their requirements to study Aeronautical Engineering there and if i do not make it then i'll have the option to do a maths degree at loughborough if i choose to. The work is intense there no matter what degree you choose everything that is science/math based in the first semester around 18 courseworks and 5 exams in the first semester LOL. Even the foundation year has been very heavy.

But i've always wanted to do aero and said to myself that if i can't get into loughborough to do aero then maybe am just not supposed to do it but still applied to other universities as a back up lik UWE to study aero.

With your maths degree from UWE you could still apply for aero companies like Airbus and Rolls Royce i believe, i remeber reading a rolls royce brochure and was surprised at the degrees they'd accept and maths was there to i always use to think they'd only take aero or mechanical/electrical engineering
Reply 14
Original post by rickfloss
in first year of engineering, only 45% of people passed(40% mark) the maths element of the course

let that sink in

I struggle big time with physics takes me very long before i understand the gist of the problem i'd have to work really hard in the physics related modules but with maths not too bad and with experience from a foundation year at loughborough maybe i'd be familiar with some of the concepts
Original post by Sh47
Not Bad then :smile:, thing is am on a loughborough foundation year and i have one exam left where i need to get an A in a physics to meet their requirements to study Aeronautical Engineering there and if i do not make it then i'll have the option to do a maths degree at loughborough if i choose to. The work is intense there no matter what degree you choose everything that is science/math based in the first semester around 18 courseworks and 5 exams in the first semester LOL. Even the foundation year has been very heavy.

But i've always wanted to do aero and said to myself that if i can't get into loughborough to do aero then maybe am just not supposed to do it but still applied to other universities as a back up lik UWE to study aero.

With your maths degree from UWE you could still apply for aero companies like Airbus and Rolls Royce i believe, i remeber reading a rolls royce brochure and was surprised at the degrees they'd accept and maths was there to i always use to think they'd only take aero or mechanical/electrical engineering

At least you're doing something you enjoy though - it makes the work enjoyable. Even if you do maths you can still learn a lot of techniques used in aeronautics. For my dissertation I'm using complex analysis to solve flow past an aerofoil for instance. And maths is an excellent degree from employment prospects - it's welcome for just about all engineering/finance positions.

And yes, companies like Airbus/RR/MoD/Met office all welcome numerate degrees, I will be applying when I finish. :smile:
Reply 16
And maths is an excellent degree from employment prospects - it's welcome for just about all engineering/finance positions.

And yes, companies like Airbus/RR/MoD/Met office all welcome numerate degrees, I will be applying when I finish. :smile:

except you won't be able to apply for engineering specific positions(i.e. those that require expertise in an engineering discipline).
Original post by a10
except you won't be able to apply for engineering specific positions(i.e. those that require expertise in an engineering discipline).

Wouldn't know, engineering isn't an area I'm interested in.
Reply 18
Is it possible then to study mechanical engineering for undergrad before studying aerospace engineering for postgrad and still get accepted into airbus or boeing because at Leeds and Sheffield I was advised to do that unless I want to study in the US
Reply 19
Original post by Ajulu
Is it possible then to study mechanical engineering for undergrad before studying aerospace engineering for postgrad and still get accepted into airbus or boeing because at Leeds and Sheffield I was advised to do that unless I want to study in the US

Yes it is

Quick Reply

Latest