The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough Students' Chat Thread

Thought I would create this to talk about non-Loughborough stuff, seeing I feel like we all know each other a bit now haha and sometimes I don't venture out this forum that much!

Nearly had a crash on the roundabout today. Two lanes, car in the left lane doesn't bother going round like it should and cuts right across my lane. Had to go up the roundabout to avoid him. Cut the grass I guess?

What's everyone else up to today? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hiya Alex_Mann....just saw your signature...and just wanted to ask you something...

How did you get the chance to be a "former ASDA manager"...?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
I worked my way up. Started part time as a student when I was 16 as a checkout operator....then became a checkout runner....worked on various departments across the store until I was moved onto Jewellery (no, not my choice hehe). I took a leading role and effectively ran the department, and then I was moved onto Frozen Food and I held a managerial position on there for 6 weeks before the company pissed me off and I left. :smile:

I was by far the youngest guy on the team (I was 18 at the time, next nearest 22 I believe, most of them in their 30s), but if you win them over there are opportunities. I also did other stuff, like I was team leader for store recruitment, I was setting up a new in-store training scheme before I left, and I was also asked to look after the Bakery on days their manager was off.

Will make my Management degree more interesting, but I suspect when I go to Uni and start the course I will find out what a botch job Asda is!
Boy...that is an achievment! I envy you..!

I am currently at Tesco...as a Checkout Operator..and recently was spotted by one of the Deputy Manager as a potential Team Leader...(this was back in January)...and was told he will have a word with the Checkout Department to see for any opportunities...but someone had taken the last one...grr! And so still waiting for any new vacancies... :frown:
Reply 4
It's not an achievement when you see everyone else in the shop. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Wow, ASDA do jewellery... didn't know that!! Hope your ok about nearly having a crash! Got a driving lesson tomorrow and you've made me dread it even more! Lol!

-x-
Reply 6
Hehe, yeah I am fine about it. I've been driving for 7 months now, and I am at the point where little suddenly appears and surprises me, I can see it coming. He was on his phone so that's always a tell tale sign.

ASDA do lovely Jewellery. People laugh but it all comes from proper suppliers (G&A and International Bullion if I remember) who supply other Jewellers, and watches from Timex, Umbro etc. For a while they even had some designer ones i.e. Clavin Klein, Timberland. The most expensive one is a £750 18ct gold .75dia ring. Very nice. I had a £65 onyx/diamong ring from there, it's cool.

I may not have wanted to go on there but as you can tell, I knew every damn thing about it when I came off hehe. Perhaps more of interest to most people is the costume jewellery. Never understood it myself, but people used to come in the shop and go mad over it.
Reply 7
Lol! Yeah you do seem to know everything!! :p: I'm like that with Marks&Spencer!!

-x-
Reply 8
Tell me 5 things you know/irritate you/happen at M&S then. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Ohh was trying to think of random things, didn't go to well...

*China in the cafe are made by 'winston' and rock!! Dropped so many cups and they never smashed :smile:
*Managers stick with managers, don't really care all that much about us 'customer assistants', so unless you bessie mates with a manager not going to go too far!
*You get to watch the most AMAZING videos in training, including what to do in a bomb scare (in marks & spencer?! Like thats gunna happen!!)
*Oh!! Per Una is helped made my the 'George at ASDA' creator!!
*Bit random, something i'm proud of though, was employee of the month once and got a box of chocolates and a free pen!! Woo!!

-x-
Reply 10
baby_emmy
the 'George at ASDA' creator!!

I think he's called George. :p:
Is he? Lol, that would make sense... met him as well!!!

-x-
Reply 12
well today has been fairly boring for me......everyone is on holiday :frown:

has anyone got any other plans for the holidays now or just chilling at home waiting for uni?

im going to cornwall at the end of august, shud be good fun :biggrin:
Reply 13
Waiting for Uni and working here. :frown: Oh the fun!
I was looking at getting a job (supposed to be booking a last min holiday deal with Graham in September) but it's too late now. Don't think people will take me on for just a month or so which is annoying. Been going on at my parents for ages about wanting a new MP3 player, jumping about today about this one on sale that I want so they've caved in and admitted they got me one already for when I get my results...so I've ruined their surprise, but got it now. That's gonna amuse me for the rest of the hols me thinks....

Oh..and I'm waiting for uni too :smile:
im as always working 12 hours a day non-stop. (all my gap year's been like this) im just looking forward to going to uni.

btw, have any of you had to leave a girlfriend/bf behind when you went to loughborogh?

theres a girl i think i love and she definitely feels the same for me because she's told me, and now i dont know what to do with this relation. I'd like to tell her i love her but then we'd get all horny and sticky and i think it'd be much worse later when we have to split.
(yeah, maybe this should've gone into H&R, but i prefer asking this to "normal" people like you who i (more or less) know.)
I think you should always give love a chance :smile:

-x-
Me and my boyfriend are both going to Loughborough this year so I don't have to leave him :smile: As to your gf back home, depends how long you've been with her and how often you're going to see her (being a foreign student n all). If she was in this country I'd say give it a go, but as much as it'd be nice to think it would work, how often are you going to see someone back in Spain...you can't pop home every other weekend. I'd go with making the most of it now, but breaking it off when you went to uni. It's one thing being tied down to a bf/gf somewhere a few miles a way, but a few hundred miles away in a diff country is completely different.
Girl i know who came from Gibralta managed to keep her relationship going for the year, but he's going to Loughborough this year so a bit more easier

-x-
i no a lot about wer i work but i work for ann summers so a bit ruder really! I do the parties as well do u think i wud get many at uni or not? i also work for a dog shop thing start there on thursday cant wait hehe. Iv got so much for uni now its great really excited now!
is anyone taking/ not taking their tv??

hope ur all well
jess x x

Quick Reply

Latest