The Student Room Group

SO confused with my relationship.. would love to hear your point of view or thought!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Sorry if this thread is confusing.. its because I am confused about what to think and do and etc... I have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years now.. Although the relationship itself is GREAT! There is certain thing about him that bugs me. My family doesn't like him purely because he doesn't have an education and is a little bit 'hood' due to area he grew up in. My family is really quick to judge since he is not a ‘marriage material’ and specially my sister is very critical saying he isn’t good looking and haven’t got his life sorted. I obviously defend my boyfriend but she is right about him not having his life together.. BUT sometimes I feel when I am defending him I am making excuses.. Now that I am 23 I am thinking and confused weather I should wait around for him to change his behaviour or just take a break so he has time to sort his life out. I have made a pros and cons..
Cons

Can be very stubborn especially in disagreement
Smokes weed sometimes
Smokes fags A LOT! (I am 100% against smoking, I didn’t know he smokes until we was going out) he has been smoking since he was 12! Even thou he has said he wants to quit for me I think he should do it for himself.
Always late to meet up (wakes up late like 10/12)
ALWAYS hangs out with his friends till late night (not clubbing or drinking just smoking weed and going around in cars hanging out in different places)
No education (dropped out of collage 5 TIMES!.. I come from a family where education is a MUST.. all my family members have been to university) this was kind off a pro because his point of view and advices are refreshing compared to what my family would advise me.
Stuck at the same crappy job since he was 14.. and he only does it for weekend! And does nothing the whole week
No goal in life
Doesn’t save his money..
He is 23 and doesn’t have a car yet.
Pros:
I know he tries his best to be a gentleman for me and I can see that he does truly love me. Even thou he does have girls trying to get his attention but all his attention is on me. HE IS NOT A CHEATER! His X cheated on him so he absolutely hates lies and dishonestly. He puts me in ease, makes me feel so safe and comfortable around him. He is a softy!! HE WRITES ME POEMS J <3. We love trying or doing new things together. We have same moral which I think is very important! He talks about marriages and babies more than I do!
I am very happy with him but I am confused at the same time. :/ there is a quote saying Don’t marry a man unless you would be proud to have a son exactly like him.. Well I do not really want my son to turn out like him.. Confused.com I would love to hear your point of view of my confusing mess..

Ok first off; who is in this relationship, you and him or you him and your family?! Forget what your family thinks even if they just want what is best for you. It's your choice at the end of the day, with your happiness in mind.

Personally I agree with you on the smoking cigarettes and weed; my boyfriend tried it the other day and I was furious because I am against it, but he is an adult, he can make his own choices and mistakes to learn from them so I let it slip.

The waking up late to meet up should not affect the relationship at all; me and my boyfriend meet up after 12 most days, usually its at the weekend and I go round to his house after work and I don't get there til 6pm. We only get to see each other at the weekend because I am in my last year at 6th form and he is at uni throughout the week so we make do. Been together for 3 1/2 years so don't judge it and say my relationship is a silly high school sweetheart story.

Has he bothered looking for another job? Being as he was stuck in the same job since he was 14 may suggest its a lack of experience issue so you could possibly suggest he find some more experience.

Talk to him about the issues that you have, don't attack him and start nagging him to change his whole life in 5 minutes to suit you, but talk to him and see how he feel's about it maybe?

In all fairness if you can't see yourself marrying him or having a future with him, cut him off and out of your life. If his habits irritate you and he is stubborn so he is unlikely to change, then it will just make you miserable being with him. You could be having a lot more fun meeting new people who perhaps have similar life aspiration goals as you do, or actually want to make something out of their lives...

but it's your choice at the end of the day. do what you think will make you happier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending