The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get into medical school with average GCSEs?

Is it possible to get into medicine with 4As and 6Bs at GCSE? Or is it not even worth applying?
Nope, try again
Original post by Jo224
Is it possible to get into medicine with 4As and 6Bs at GCSE? Or is it not even worth applying?

If you excellent AS Grades, strong BMAT and a good personal statement, would think so.
Original post by Jo224

What are your AS grades/predicted grades?
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
What are your AS grades/predicted grades?

AABB at AS, AAA at A2
Original post by Jo224
AABB at AS, AAA at A2

Not in the UK. Sorry.
Original post by Jo224
AABB at AS, AAA at A2

Then I'd say you've got next to no chance. Virtually all medicine applicants will have outstanding GCSEs as well as straight As for AS and A2 (i.e. AAAA) and you've got neither. Unless there's something else important that we don't know about... it's not looking good.
Everyone should stop being negative! because you have no clue what medical schools want unless some of you are admissions tutors? Medical schools also don't like stupid people that can parrot information, but hey there are a lot of them there anyways.

And if you're thinking of not applying because of a minor thing.. maybe you should re think how much you want it. Cause if you really wanted it, nothing would stop you x
Reply 8
Original post by Jo224
Some of the replies in this thread are discouraging and naive. To be truthful, your GCSE might be below average for medical school applicants but to get offers from medical school you need to play your cards right. Lets say if you got good personal statement and a high ukcat/bmat score with an AAAB at AS Level (if you manage to pull off), you would want to apply to medical schools that favours your application like Newcastle and QMUL. But if you got AABB at AS Level with average ukcat/bmat , you might want to wait until you get your A-Level result (preferably AAA) and apply again next year with a better ukcat/bmat score. Again, it all depends on your strategies. To make an accurate judgement, what did you get your As on your GCSE? Please also remember that if you got any Science, English or Maths at a B grade at GCSE, it will hugely restrict your application to med school with those GCSE grades.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jo224

It's possible but you need to have everything else outstanding and also consider why you got average grades? Please don't take this the wrong way but was there are good reason or is it hecwise you have fairly average abilities, if so you way be on an uphill struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Right. It's not impossible per se, but you've got some large catching up to do. Remembering that there are plenty of medicine applicants, with better grades (it's the hard truth), you've really gotta work hard to prove that you are a) intelligent - i.e. not struggling with studies b) the right type.

The cards are against you, and frankly, you're more likely to be rejected that accepted were you to apply with just what you have now, but you still have some time to build your spec up a bit more. Get some work experience. Kill the UKCAT/BMAT, work hard to get A*s for your A-Levels, don't settle for As.

Original post by SunRiseAtDawn
Everyone should stop being negative! because you have no clue what medical schools want unless some of you are admissions tutors? Medical schools also don't like stupid people that can parrot information, but hey there are a lot of them there anyways.

And if you're thinking of not applying because of a minor thing.. maybe you should re think how much you want it. Cause if you really wanted it, nothing would stop you x

What you're saying is all true. None of us here are admissions tutors BUT, having spent a couple of years with medical students, being one myself, you get a pretty good feel of the average student and their achievements, and can make some suggestions on what works and what doesn't work.
Reply 11
There are lots of med schools that don't focus on grades but rather ukcat/personal statement.

Don't listen to some of the negative replies, a good ukcat = a good chance IF you apply strategically (tbh if you have a good personal statement you'll have a decent chance at a few unis too.)
Reply 12
To be honest I don't think so. But you never know what admission tutors are looking for. To maximise your chances try and get really good AS results and then get a high UKCAT and/or BMAT score. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you buy your way into one?
Reply 14
Any university that accepts a student based on their GCSE results would be extremely shallow. It's not difficult to attain 10a*s at gcse if you have a decent tutor and know where to get a* revision material, (I got C/Bs and 2as in my mocks, and I revised 2 weeks before each exam and easily clocked 6a*s 2as 2bs). In fact over 6000 students every year get at least 10a*s across the UK. Universities know that its ridiculously easy to achieve those grades, what they really look for is strong as results, nothing less than AAA(A/B), especially since competition is insane, and predictions that are at least AAA, if applying to oxbridge than they want an A*A*A* prediction. They also want a high Ukcat or Bmat score, these are very important as they are designed to assess the "inner doctor" within each applicant. Gcses don't mean anything rather they are used as a tiebreaker. A good personal statement is also very important. I know someone with no a*s, he got 8as 3bs, he got 800ukcat, AAAB at a level and he got into southhampton, he also had a lot of experience and volunteering stuff.

So the answer is YES!, you have a chance, get a top UKCAT score and at least AAA at A2, but aim for 3a*s. If you don't get in this year then apply the next year, that is fine as long as you dont do your a levels over 2 years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by toxic_neon
Any university that accepts a student based on their GCSE results would be extremely shallow. It's not difficult to attain 10a*s at gcse if you have a decent tutor and know where to get a* revision material, (I got C/Bs and 2as in my mocks, and I revised 2 weeks before each exam and easily clocked 6a*s 2as 2bs). In fact over 6000 students every year get at least 10a*s across the UK. Universities know that its ridiculously easy to achieve those grades, what they really look for is strong as results, nothing less than AAA(A/B), especially since competition is insane, and predictions that are at least AAA, if applying to oxbridge than they want an A*A*A* prediction. They also want a high Ukcat or Bmat score, these are very important as they are designed to assess the "inner doctor" within each applicant. Gcses don't mean anything rather they are used as a tiebreaker. A good personal statement is also very important. I know someone with no a*s, he got 8as 3bs, he got 800ukcat, AAAB at a level and he got into southhampton, he also had a lot of experience and volunteering stuff.

I agree with the majority of points you have stated, however, with 4A's and 6B's at GCSE, this will not meet the minimum entry requirement for a significant number of medical schools. His GCSE's, regardless of whether he was to attain high UKCAT/A2 grades. would massively put him/her at a disadvantage. Different medical schools use GCSEs in different ways. For example, in Cardiff, you will not have a chance if you had below 7A*'s. The same applies for KCL, Edinburgh, Oxford, Birmingham, all who use GCSEs as a vital tool of selection.

OP, I would advise you to aim for a degree in Biomedical Science, and apply as a postgraduate. It is not impossible to enter medicine with those grades, however, it is extremely difficult.

EDIT: OP, your chances may be improved if you had extenuating circumstances.This may allow admission tutors to put your application into context. There are some who will still consider you regardless, however, they are not in the majority.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Chlorophile
Then I'd say you've got next to no chance. Virtually all medicine applicants will have outstanding GCSEs as well as straight As for AS and A2 (i.e. AAAA) and you've got neither. Unless there's something else important that we don't know about... it's not looking good.

ok thank you for being honest!
Reply 17
Original post by toxic_neon

So the answer is YES!, you have a chance, get a top UKCAT score and at least AAA at A2, but aim for 3a*s. If you don't get in this year then apply the next year, that is fine as long as you dont do your a levels over 2 years.

thank you, this was really helpful & encouraging!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending