The Student Room Group

Brah on a budget.

So I've been looking to improve my fitness and strength, but can't actually afford any decent equipment or a gym membership.

I've asked my parents, and they've told me to pay for it myself, and can't really get a job ATM, so don't just say 'Get a job' :frown:.

Does anyone know about any good exercises and workouts that don't require much equipment or can be done with household stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sit-ups?
Hahah, what Robbie said (so helpful, Robster)! ^

You can use like paint cans (if you happen to have them lying around) or gallon of milk as weights?
Get relatives/friends to buy you fitness stuff or to give you money for your birthday/other festivals

See following links:
www.imgur.com/gallery/FkVrO
www.greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere
https://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness-programs-article/2863/Top-25-At-Home-Exercises/

You're welcome :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by majmuh24
Thanks a lot. I hadn't considered that at all. :colonhash:

Milk bottles? Bit light IMO, I'm not a total noob. :colonhash:

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a link :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

With milk in the bottle, silly! Like these:

No problem! :h:
Buy maccy ds!
Reply 5
Use like idk massive bags that you can curl with. You could also try some static muslce exercises like trying to push against a wall and holding it for as long as you can. Pushups are they way to go. I wanted my parents to get me a membership got the same response. Other than that pull ups are the way to go and pushups. I wouldn't really recommend situps can be bad for your spinal cord
Reply 6
Surely you can find something heavy to lift? Go buy some bells or something. Don't expect to see much visual change to your body though. Do it to get stronger, not more attractive. That is very challenging without a gym membership and strict diet with supplements. Not impossible but good luck is all i'll say.
(edited 10 years ago)
I know, but they're still light.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What, a gallon of milk?

Wow, a 15 year old is stronger than me :facepalm:
Reply 8
Original post by Bridget Jones
What, a gallon of milk?

Wow, a 15 year old is stronger than me :facepalm:

Whut? Please tell me you can lift a milk bottle :s-smilie:

How on earth do you make cereal?
Original post by james1211
Whut? Please tell me you can lift a milk bottle :s-smilie:

How on earth do you make cereal?

It's only like 4kg. How weak do you think I am?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I can lift a milk bottle, but its not that light! I'm sure if you lifted repetitively, they would work?
Reply 10
I got a barbell + 2 dumbbells + 35kg of weights from the tip, just check freecycle, charity shops and gumtree. Loads of people have stuff they never use just lying around, taking up space and want to get rid of it.
Reply 11
Haha, I can lift a milk bottle, but its not that light! I'm sure if you lifted repetitively, they would work?

No :lol: You'd need at least 10-15kg i'd think.
4kg isn't much of a challenge for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okaay, find something heavier! :dontknow:

No :lol: You'd need at least 10-15kg i'd think.

Considering im only 40kg myself, 4kg is quite heavy :tongue:
Reply 13
Considering im only 40kg myself, 4kg is quite heavy :tongue:

Dainty :colondollar:
Dainty :colondollar:

Not too bad at packing a punch though :tongue:
Reply 15
Not too bad at packing a punch though :tongue:

I'll be the judge of that :pierre:
1) Find two objects about 50m apart. Do 1 situp then sprint the 50m, do 2 pressups and sprint back, do 3 and so on. Do this upto 15 and you`ll be sweating. You can do this with any exercise like situps, squats etc

2) Google some callisthenics exercises. You can make up a routine of situps, pressups, wide arm pressups, squats, dips, dorsal raises, russian twists and so on and do it in the house (or the park if you don`t mind funny looks)

HTH
I'll be the judge of that :pierre:

Alright, come at me :smug:
I see threads like this sometimes...it's 20 quid a month...maybe 30 for gym membership. You can't afford that? You can't get your parents to give you that little money? You couldn't offer to do chores in exchange?

I'm not going to say - get a job...because you don't need to - why don't you sell something you own on ebay or gumtree. Don't own anything, can't spare £20...buy and sell things cheaply then. You could sign up to an experiment at a local university - 1 hour sitting around, you will get that money...there are infinite possibilities.
My gym membership is £10.99 a month.

Quick Reply

Latest