The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jones Ardent
University is essential for those that want a career where you need a degree, particularly an accredited one (as is so in my case). It's sure isn't a "luxury" either; students (should) go to university to get an education. As it is you said yourself that the reality is without a degree, there's going to be a lot of difficulty making a living.

I understand where you're coming when you say it's unfair for parents to have to pay for uni when their child is 18+ therefore legally responsible for themselves, but you forget that families that do have higher incomes anyway tend to have more stability and support from family. Because despite your age, that doesn't change. Your family is your family (if you have one) whether you're nine or nineteen. For those that have families with a higher income they usually have higher standards of living regardless of disposable income. For anyone that has a poor family, or even no family, they do not enjoy that same comfort. Partly the reason why they get more from Student Finance than richer students. The other is it's ridiculous for student finance to personally meet with every applicant to determine what amount they're going to need and whether they're going to spend that loan/grant wisely or not. It isn't a perfect system but it does try to accommodate for those that have so much less than others.

Also, your last statement does you no favours. If they are on lower incomes but have been able to make better savings perhaps it says something about how your parents spend their money?

Bottom line - If your family has a higher income you (more often than not) will enjoy a much higher standard of living. It's not always about how much disposable income a family has at the end of they day. Besides, if someone wants to complain about the people on low incomes/benefits not being able to sort themselves out, then they can just as rightly complain that rich parents not supporting their children because they "can't" is most likely because they're incapable of managing their own finances (like, maybe, choosing somewhere affordable to live) and they also need to sort themselves out.

Yet the child of the parents who don't work or have low paid jobs will not suffer because the government will supplement their studies at a higher rate than the child of higher paid parents that have higher outgoings because they don't get cheap housing or tax credits? That child will be punished for her parents not 'sorting themselves out' yet the other will be rewarded.
once again, is that fair?
Reply 61
We need to increase the Maintenance Loan for people so that it can cover living costs.
Original post by Cobbler
Yet the child of the parents who don't work or have low paid jobs will not suffer because the government will supplement their studies at a higher rate than the child of higher paid parents that have higher outgoings because they don't get cheap housing or tax credits? That child will be punished for her parents not 'sorting themselves out' yet the other will be rewarded.

I'm not saying that that's fair. I'm pointing out things a lot of people have either have not realised or neglected to mention.

Ultimately, it remains that the richer kid has enjoyed a more comfortable life than someone who is poorer. Have costs for uni supplemented pales in comparison to the hardships experienced by families on low/no incomes due to circumstances outside of their control.

Besides, those parents you mentioned that have higher outgoings because they don't get cheap housing (again, a choice) or tax credits? They have the money to pay for it because they get paid more.

I can understand where someone comes from saying that someone families/students abuse the financial support they get from SF/the government and therefore shouldn't get they get. What I can't understand is when you're parents earn plenty yet they don't have any left over to spare for uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Quite a thread I must say. Class divides more than anything else, it seems.

I don't think it is right that there that the maintainance loan doesn't cover basic accommodation costs. Is that the cheapest hall of residence out there? Otherwise, you will have to look at other options for accomodation. Furthemore, it may actually depend on the breakdown of accommodation costs. I needed to put down a deposit, which became my damage fund, which will eventually be returned if my room is in good condition.

OP, although jobs at uni are out of the question, there s still plenty of time to get a summer job and at least have some money behind you, when you go to university. Going for a gap year and get even more money behind you also makes plenty of sense.
Reply 64
The top end of Student Loans/Grants are too high, I live with my grandparents who are on low income therefore I got the top or near enough the top grant/loan you can receive. Its to much and I was wasting money away in my first 2 years, now from my 3rd + 4th years I have 1.5k saved in my bank from my loan + grant, without work ? whats the point of that ?
It encouraged me not to bother getting a job + be a lazy a*** student(in terms of part time work)

Then you get situations like this were certain people are penalised just because their parents earn a decent amount of pay when I know some parents have no sort of relationship with there kids and just let them live in their home + offer no financial support.

The goverment don't need to put more money in, A new system is needed to bring the top loan/grant down and up the lower maintenance loan.

Then students need to either budget or get a job, its the way off life. Students on top loans/grants have it easy in terms of money.
Reply 65
I'm not saying that that's fair. I'm pointing out things a lot of people have either have not realised or neglected to mention.

Ultimately, it remains that the richer kid has enjoyed a more comfortable life than someone who is poorer. Have costs for uni supplemented pales in comparison to the hardships experienced by families on low/no incomes due to circumstances outside of their control.

Besides, those parents you mentioned that have higher outgoings because they don't get cheap housing (again, a choice) or tax credits? They have the money to pay for it because they get paid more.

I can understand where someone comes from saying that someone families/students abuse the financial support they get from SF/the government and therefore shouldn't get they get. What I can't understand is when you're parents earn plenty yet they don't have any left over to spare for uni.

My parents do have extra money to spare to help me with Uni, to the tune of £10,000 over the next three years. Added to my £3610 LOAN, that equates to around £7,000 per year. Not enough to live on and pay my £5000 rent, the cheapest halls, so I plan to get a part time job. I accept this, it is only fair, after all, I am the one who will benefit in the long run.
What I don't accept is the fact that my neighbour, who has the same house as mine, gets over £9000 per year, half of which she will NEVER have to pay back, and will not have to get any job to support her studies. Why am I being penalised because my parents contribute to the countries finances whilst my neighbours Mother doesn't and never has?
Reply 66
Original post by runner5
I'm applying for my halls & student finance at the moment... only a slight problem. My parents earn too much for me to get anything but the basic £3,600 loan yet my halls alone will be £3,800.

Also can I ask where are these halls ? up north you can get halls for around £3,500 so its worth looking around, not all are the same price.
Original post by Cobbler
My parents do have extra money to spare to help me with Uni, to the tune of £10,000 over the next three years. Added to my £3610 LOAN, that equates to around £7,000 per year. Not enough to live on and pay my £5000 rent, the cheapest halls, so I plan to get a part time job. I accept this, it is only fair, after all, I am the one who will benefit in the long run.
What I don't accept is the fact that my neighbour, who has the same house as mine, gets over £9000 per year, half of which she will NEVER have to pay back, and will not have to get any job to support her studies. Why am I being penalised because my parents contribute to the countries finances whilst my neighbours Mother doesn't and never has?

Well, I can't really comment now can I considering I don't personally know the neighbour in question nor their circumstances. It could very well be that their home is their only small comfort in a life of hardship or it could be they're taking a huge advantage of the system. Like I said, I can't comment because I don't know.

The reality is harsh. I, for example, will have to take out the full maintenance loan and grant (which means I'll actually be paying back more loan than you) and this is literally going to have to be the money I live off of for the next few years unless I get a job. I do not have the comfort of going home every holiday to save on rent at uni, I do not have the comfort of my family providing financial (or any other kind) support because I have none and I won't be able to afford living on £7.2k for a full year, let alone term time. So you see how it actually isn't that bad for you? And assuming I meet my offer this summer, the job I hope to get after completing my degree means that I won't be part of the cohort that isn't paying back their full £9,000 a year tuition fees.

Life isn't fair on anyone, but you make do with what you can until things change. There doesn't exist an easy solution that takes into account every possible circumstance of every possible applicant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Well, I can't really comment now can I considering I don't personally know the neighbour in question nor their circumstances. It could very well be that their home is their only small comfort in a life of hardship or it could be they're taking a huge advantage of the system. Like I said, I can't comment because I don't know.

The reality is harsh. I, for example, will have to take out the full maintenance loan and grant (which means I'll actually be paying back more loan than you) and this is literally going to have to be the money I live off of for the next few years unless I get a job. I do not have the comfort of going home every holiday to save on rent at uni, I do not have the comfort of my family providing financial support because I have none and I won't be able to afford living on £7.2k for a full year, let alone term time. So you see how it actually isn't that bad for you? And assuming I meet my offer this summer, the job I hope to get after completing my degree means that I won't be part of the cohort that isn't paying back their full £9,000 a year tuition fees.

Life isn't fair on anyone, but you make do with what you can until things change. There doesn't exist an easy solution that takes into account every possible circumstance of every possible applicant.

Where are you situated ?, I can't go home end of term time, I have never had a job whilst at Uni. I get 7k a year now in my 4th year and have 1.5k saved in my bank that wont be touched + could have easily been double that if I didn't waste away money in first year + 2nd year.
Reply 69

The reality is harsh. I, for example, will have to take out the full maintenance loan and grant (which means I'll actually be paying back more loan than you) and this is literally going to have to be the money I live off of for the next few years unless I get a job. I do not have the comfort of going home every holiday to save on rent at uni, I do not have the comfort of my family providing financial (or any other kind) support because I have none and I won't be able to afford living on £7.2k for a full year, let alone term time. So you see how it actually isn't that bad for you? And assuming I meet my offer this summer, the job I hope to get after completing my degree means that I won't be part of the cohort that isn't paying back their full £9,000 a year tuition fees.

Never once did I say that things were bad for me. I don't think that they are at all. I'm happy to get a job to supplement my maintenance loan and whatever my parents can give me, I have worked part time for the last four years so that I can pay for my own things.
My bugbear is that those that get the full grant and full maintenance loan don't have to. On top of their grant and loan they will get bursaries up to £3000 per year from their chosen university if they or their parents household budget is below a certain level. There is nothing wrong with this except that it means that it will get to the point where only the very rich or the very poor will be able to go to university because it won't get cheaper, that we can all guarantee.
Reply 70
Original post by Kj2013
Really? We can afford millions to be in the EU just to be dictated to. We can afford to give money to counties with a better economy than ours because ''it's the right thing to do'' (and I'm quoting Cameron there)! We can afford all of these Immigrants and the people that want to live on benefits. But we can't afford t help people that are striving to make this country better?!

Oh ok...

Being a part of the EU is pretty vital to our economy, the majority of our exports go to the EU, and the majority of our imports come from the EU. I think in the long-term, we've been getting benefits from being a member that hugely outweigh the negatives. And the free movement of EU labour has also mostly been a good thing for our economy, so...

Lol, 'all of these immigrants', as if they do more damage than good... :laugh:

I'm not saying that it's good to discourage potential students from middle to high-income families. I'm just saying that it's economically unsustainable to make the student loan something that close to 100% funds any student that wants to move from home and go to university. That's really expensive, and I kind of think it's bonkers that the government have been increasing how much they borrow every year, with no long-term expectation of ever paying it back... The conservatives celebrated, because they reduced the rate the debt is growing, for goodness sake...

The student loan should be looked at completely differently in my view. People who are earning enough, need to save up to send their kids to university, and then the maintenance loan should act as an assistance to the costs. That means parents not having such a short-term view on spending - living expensively and taking out a mortgage that wipes out a huge proportion of their income every month, while expecting that their kid'll just move from A-levels to uni like he/she's on a middle-class conveyor belt, and they won't have to contribute much cos it'll all more-or-less be covered by the loan.

I don't think it should really be about the government giving them a 100% maintenance loan. That should only really be reserved for those on low incomes, in my opinion.
Reply 71
The only fair way to do it, is to have a set maintenance loan, say £5000, that everyone qualifies for if they need it. Then means teasted grants and bursaries for the students from poorer households to the tune of about £3000. If a student wants or needs any more than this, then they can get a PT job.
This way everyone is on a level playing field. Nobody is priced out of further education.
Reply 72
Original post by Cobbler
Never once did I say that things were bad for me. I don't think that they are at all. I'm happy to get a job to supplement my maintenance loan and whatever my parents can give me, I have worked part time for the last four years so that I can pay for my own things.
My bugbear is that those that get the full grant and full maintenance loan don't have to. On top of their grant and loan they will get bursaries up to £3000 per year from their chosen university if they or their parents household budget is below a certain level. There is nothing wrong with this except that it means that it will get to the point where only the very rich or the very poor will be able to go to university because it won't get cheaper, that we can all guarantee.

No it won't. It hasn't got to this. Why do you think this will happen in the future?

I get where you're coming from. I just think that the poorest families need an incentive to allow any academic kids they have to go to university if they want to.
Original post by Kj2013
Really? We can afford millions to be in the EU just to be dictated to. We can afford to give money to counties with a better economy than ours because ''it's the right thing to do'' (and I'm quoting Cameron there)! We can afford all of these Immigrants and the people that want to live on benefits. But we can't afford t help people that are striving to make this country better?!

Why are you classifying immigrants with people who want to live on benefits? v.v
Reply 74
Original post by Cobbler

That's a very persuasive point.

But, you're making an assumption that the child from a moderately wealthy background should be 'entitled' to higher education, whereas I don't think that's the case. I think it's a gift. I also think that it's something that parents should be responsible for funding a decent proportion of.

You could say that about school lunches. If some parents (who don't qualify for free school meals) choose not to pay for their child's lunch money at secondary school, then that child suffers because the child eats nothing when he/she is at school.

But you wouldn't say this, because it is expected that parents take into account that they'll have to fund their child's lunch or send them with packed lunch. So parents think about their spending, making sure that they can afford to provide for their child.

I think in a similar way, I think parents should anticipate the high expenditure of their child going off to university, and make plans beforehand if needs be.
Reply 75
Original post by Pride
No it won't. It hasn't got to this. Why do you think this will happen in the future?

I get where you're coming from. I just think that the poorest families need an incentive to allow any academic kids they have to go to university if they want to.

Wages are not rising, yet the cost of living and property prices are. More and more of middle earners disposable income is being swallowed up with this.
A family on £60,000 a year, based in the North of England, has far more disposable income than one based in the South. The average mortgage in Newcastle, for instance, is around £90,000 as opposed to the average London mortgage of £192,000. The average rent is £700, £1550 in London. On top of that, the cost of living is far higher down south. This means that families based in London have far less to supplement their University bound offspring. The Student loans company doesn't take this into account. Of course this is going to affect the uptake of university places. And before anyone starts in about living down South is a choice, That is where the jobs are.
I do agree with you that disadvantaged youngsters need an incentive, but we also need to send the message that ambition and paying your own way is not a dirty word and you shouldn't be penalised for success.
Reply 76
Original post by Pride
That's a very persuasive point.

But, you're making an assumption that the child from a moderately wealthy background should be 'entitled' to higher education, whereas I don't think that's the case. I think it's a gift. I also think that it's something that parents should be responsible for funding a decent proportion of.

You could say that about school lunches. If some parents (who don't qualify for free school meals) choose not to pay for their child's lunch money at secondary school, then that child suffers because the child eats nothing when he/she is at school.

But you wouldn't say this, because it is expected that parents take into account that they'll have to fund their child's lunch or send them with packed lunch. So parents think about their spending, making sure that they can afford to provide for their child.

I think in a similar way, I think parents should anticipate the high expenditure of their child going off to university, and make plans beforehand if needs be.

Finding £10 per week to ensure your CHILD eats is a bit different than finding £100 per week for your ADULT student to get a degree.
Nobody is 'entitled' to higher education, rich or poor. What we are entitled to, however, is a fair crack of the whip and anything over about £8000 (made up of, equal for all, maintenance loan then either means tested grants, burseries or parental help) per year should be earned by the student.
Original post by Kj2013
GET SERIOUS HELP!

Why are you so jealous of people who come from hard working families. I'd rather my taxes went to grants for uni students than immigrants!

So people who don't earn over £60k a month aren't hardworking?...wow...
Reply 78
Original post by aceySnicks_x
Why are you classifying immigrants with people who want to live on benefits? v.v

No I meant also people that live on benefits all their life. I didn't mean the immigrants. Although we can do without the ones that do please!
Reply 79
Original post by aceySnicks_x
So people who don't earn over £60k a month aren't hardworking?...wow...

Lol, I didn't even suggest that!!

Latest

Trending

Trending