The Student Room Group

How to deal with demands from friend?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by McMurdo
They can't accept rejection and feel their ego has been scathed.

True.

Before I cut him out the guy never gave up because he so desperately wanted me to give in to him. That is why he always tried to cross the line when he had the opportunity. He could never accept the word 'no' and he wanted to achieve something by trying to get with me.

This situation has made me so angry because it has affected my other friendships. It's so unfair. I can't hang around with all my friends because he will be there. He will try to guilt trip me, make ignorant comments, embarrass me and act inappropriately. I can only hang around with my friends if I know he will not be around.

To be fair though I have made new friends through social groups he is not a part of and I feel quite happy about that. :smile:
Original post by abbiemac
Well good for you! Don't let him 'entice you' back in to being friends with him.

Haha don't worry - I will never be friends with him ever again. I despise him so much.

I have recently found out some stuff about how it treats other women and that just adds to the list of reasons why he is scum. Plus I can tell he doesn't have any respect for me as a woman and he doesn't value me as a person. I recently found out that he - along with an acquaintance in the group whom I also despise - has a problem with the fact that I have never had sex and never had a boyfriend. He thinks it's unusual and uncommon. Plus, they don't like how I am non-conformist and Westernised. I chose to believe in what I want to believe in. If I want to wait until I am in a relationship before kissing/cuddling/sharing a bed/having sex with someone, then I will. My body, my choice.

This just proves that he was never a good friend. A true friend would never disrespect my personal wishes, values, choices and preferences.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. So glad I cut him out. No amount of convincing will ever change my mind. Plus I am rather headstrong anyway. :wink:
Original post by green.tea
and do that thing you see people do in films where they tip over bookcases and stuff behind them.

:lol:
Nah op you're not being unreasonable. The guy you're friends with seems pretty persistent.

In my opinion the guy sounds extremely infatuated with you and somewhat obsessed. Some folk are like that and it can be difficult to deal with.

If you're wanting to continue having a friendship with him then I suggest using your assertive nature and be blunt and tell him he needs to stop what he's doing or it's going to really affect your friendship. Just be honest, there's no point in declining him as it's clearly not working. Make him acknowledge his behaviour otherwise he'll likely just continue being the way he is.
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, so here goes.

Since I've been at university there is a guy I have been friends with. He is nice but...

I feel like he expects stuff from me. It is getting to the point where he won't take the hint.

First of all, a few months into the course he asked me out. I knew he fancied me because of the way he behaved towards me in comparison to our friends. I politely declined because I was (and I am still not) interested in him. I don't find him attractive. Anyway, I declined and then he expected an explanation from him - why did I say no to him? Why didn't I want to go out with him? I told him straight up that I was not interested in him and that we will only be friends.

Ever since then it's like he will not accept the word no. I feel as though he uses all sorts of ways to change my mind but it never works.

Next - he has insisted that I come to his flat. I don't have a problem visiting friends but he is so desperate for me to come to his flat and cook for him. I am happy to spend time with friends but I am not willing to go to someone's house and be someone's servant just because they cannot be bothered to cook for themselves sometimes. Plus, I prefer to cook for myself and I am not a very good cook. I have politely declined and told him all sorts - I am not the best cook, I'm busy, etc - but he won't stop insisting.

He has tried to be demanding at other times - i.e. we went to a restaurant and he demanded that I get him a drink, despite being more that capable enough to get one himself. I refused, but he kept on insisting and he pushed his cup towards me. I refused several times and pushed his cup away from me. I am not a servant.

Even when we are having conversations he will randomly mention things like "You have never been to my house? Why won't you come?" Why why why why why. It's like he is trying to guilt trip me. It's like he is so desperate. One time he wanted to come home with me after a seminar and he wouldn't stop insisting and questioning me, despite the fact I was tired that day and I wanted to go home and nap. He wouldn't take no for an answer. I put my foot down, made myself clear and he felt hurt.

He has also insisted that I come to his church - he has asked me over and over again, despite the fact that I have made it clear that I am agnostic and that I am not interested. He kept asking me why I don't believe in God and a whole bunch of questions. I made it clear that I am agnostic and I question God and that I am not interested in coming to his church. He has tried tactics to get me involved - introducing me to his church friends, and telling me that he will meet me to go to his church, despite the fact that I told him I wasn't going anywhere.

He is a nice guy, but I wish he would just stop and give it up. He asked me again to come and cook for him. He wants to sample my food - like I said I am not a great cook so why would he want to sample my food. He has also asked me about my love life and he calls me affectionate names - I feel like getting myself a boyfriend just so that he can stop, but I don't see how that would work.

Am I being unreasonable? He is a nice guy but he should give it a rest.

What do I do? Even when I say no he doesn't realize that he should give it a rest. I am quite assertive, but this is beginning to annoy me. I have never had friends so desperate for me to do demands for them.
Dump him.
Original post by DanielleT192
Nah op you're not being unreasonable. The guy you're friends with seems pretty persistent.

In my opinion the guy sounds extremely infatuated with you and somewhat obsessed. Some folk are like that and it can be difficult to deal with.

If you're wanting to continue having a friendship with him then I suggest using your assertive nature and be blunt and tell him he needs to stop what he's doing or it's going to really affect your friendship. Just be honest, there's no point in declining him as it's clearly not working. Make him acknowledge his behaviour otherwise he'll likely just continue being the way he is.

Yep he seems to be infatuated and obsessed with me, and obsessed with trying to get with me and change the person I am.

I was assertive but he always took it the wrong way.

I have stopped being friends with him.
Original post by Anonymous
Yep he seems to be infatuated and obsessed with me, and obsessed with trying to get with me and change the person I am.

I was assertive but he always took it the wrong way.

I have stopped being friends with him.

Yeah it was going to be either trying to address the problem with him, if you decided to continue being friends, or going down the route of not being friends.

I think you've made the right decision OP :smile: even being infatuated with someone, the amount of demands he made to you sounded so overwhelming!
Original post by namename
Dump him.

Lol he's not even my boyfriend!

I have ditched him as a friend though.
Update.

This absolute cretin of a guy is out of my life for good now, and I am so much happier. He was never a true friend of mine anyway. I felt as though he was trying to use me and I wasn't happy about that...plus he was treating me poorly and I can't have someone in my life who treats me badly and speaks about me in a bad way to other people.

I have lost 'friends' because of the situation - they were backing him up, saying crap about me behind my back and expecting me to date him/sleep with him despite the fact I said no - but I don't care anymore. I have ditched them too and now I just avoid them. True friends support you, they don't expect you to do things against your will. I am staying focused on my degree and my best friends from my hometown, and when I go back to university in September I will try to make new, better lifelong friends. :smile:

Thanks for the advice!

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending