The Student Room Group

Could I negotiate with my Uni's regarding my offer?

Basically.
Loughborough offered me AAB.
I am naturally lazy and like to see myself a as hustler.
If I were to send them an email stating that "I am fully confident I will get ABB", could try maybe lower the offer? Anyone have any such experiences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Why on earth would they do that?
Reply 2
I very much doubt that. The boundaries they set aren't personalised for each student. In mine and others' experiences, these boundaries are set generally across the board as it's the best way to get as bright and as focused people as possible but keep the numbers down to an acceptable set.

I've particularly seen this with Humanities-based degree applications because the number of applicants is huge for subjects like English and History. But if they receive a huge number of applicants for any course, they need to set a general level for everyone to make sure they can accommodate for everyone.

There's obviously a lot more to do with it than just that but it does play a part.
I know of one person who negotiated a Bath engineering offer 1 grade down 3 years ago - this was on the grounds of intending to insure the offer

you wouldn't you would get away with it today though
Reply 4
Sure. Just send them an email explaining, you know, what a hustler you are and I'm sure they'll lower their standardised offer just for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt it, with all the competition for places at universities they could easily replace you.
Reply 6
They won't rescind your offer so what do you have to lose?
Reply 7
In my opinion, if you have received offers from other universities, then why not? As long as you have a backup university if Loughborough rejected your approach you can still manage to get into a different university!
Original post by powersurge
Sure. Just send them an email explaining, you know, what a hustler you are and I'm sure they'll lower their standardised offer just for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget the part about the OP being lazy.
Reply 9
If you do get ABB, there's the chance that loughborough will show a degree of flexibility (subject depending ofc)
I think the university are unlikely to do this, as they may think you want them to lower their grades in order to insure them. In general, offers are not open to negotiation unless you have new mitigating circumstances.

However, on results day, there may be spaces left on the course which will allow people with lower grades than the entry requirement to be let in. If you have sent an email asking for a lower offer, the university may view you in a less favourable light.

You will not be able to get through university without working hard, so it might be better to get some practise in now. If you do lots of revision I am sure you can pull one of the Bs up to an A and achieve your offer anyway.
Reply 11
But if I were to try they wouldn't reverse their offer would they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anxiouslife

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately not.
Original post by ageshallnot
Unfortunately not.

:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they can't do this, but they also won't change your offer.
Reply 15
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
No, they can't do this, but they also won't change your offer.

And I do wonder if they'll make a note of the request then if OP happens to slip a grade they'd be less likely to be lenient due to the cheekiness of the request. ie is it worth the risk of getting their backs up?
Original post by Folion
And I do wonder if they'll make a note of the request then if OP happens to slip a grade they'd be less likely to be lenient due to the cheekiness of the request. ie is it worth the risk of getting their backs up?

I think it's not beyond the realms of possibility. I don't think it would happen at every university, but it could happen at some. If the OP suddenly comes up with mitigating circumstances on results day, they might be viewed skeptically in light of this email.

Seriously, though, universities really don't want to get into lots of individual negotiations about grades at this stage. Unless you have new information (like changing the exams you are taking, new extenuating circumstances), they are not going to reconsider your offer.
Reply 17
Thanks to all posters, even the tongue in cheek ones :P

Just sent them an email, Carpe Diem. Will keep you all updated

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks to all posters, even the tongue in cheek ones :P

Just sent them an email, Carpe Diem. Will keep you all updated

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't being tongue in cheek. I meant what I said.
Reply 19
Original post by ageshallnot
I wasn't being tongue in cheek. I meant what I said.

Good for you. Pity I don't care. :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending