The Student Room Group
MBBS is Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. This is the qualification needed to practice as a doctor in the UK. It is exactly the same as an MBChB and others, just different variations of the abbreviated latin.

In the UK, MD is essentially a postgraduate research degree similar to a PhD. I might not be exactly right in saying this. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong. In the USA, however, doctors are awarded an MD instead of the above MBBS/MB ChB etc.

Bachelor of Medical Science is just an undergraduate degree. It's just a variant of a BSc in Biomedical Science as far as I'm aware. They are not doctors.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by shiggydiggy
MBBS is Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. This is the qualification needed to practice as a doctor in the UK. It is exactly the same as an MBChB and others, just different variations of the abbreviated latin.

In the UK, MD is essentially a postgraduate research degree similar to a PhD. I might not be exactly right in saying this. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong. In the USA, however, doctors are awarded an MD instead of the above MBBS/MB ChB etc.

Bachelor of Medical Science is just an undergraduate degree. It's just a variant of a BSc in Biomedical Science as far as I'm aware. They are not doctors.

thanks man!
i asked because a university in my country has an international class for medicine. in the length of 5 years of studying, the 4th year will be in the UK, at newcastle university. then the graduates of that international class will get two title, MBBS/MBChB (which in here we call it, Sarjana Kedokteran), and Bachelor of Medical Science. the name of the university is University of Indonesia
Original post by azkarthur
thanks man!
i asked because a university in my country has an international class for medicine. in the length of 5 years of studying, the 4th year will be in the UK, at newcastle university. then the graduates of that international class will get two title, MBBS/MBChB (which in here we call it, Sarjana Kedokteran), and Bachelor of Medical Science. the name of the university is University of Indonesia

Ah, yeah ok. If you complete x number of years during an MBBS/MBChB you're awarded a Bachelor of Medical Science.