The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Anyone starting Primary PGCE 2014/15 at Roehampton?

Just accepted my offer for the Foundation/Lower Primary PGCE course 2014/15, so pleased! Anyone else accepted their offer there yet?
---
Connect to Roehampton here! You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I've accepted my offer for KS2 primary PGCE! Did you receive a letter in the post at all xx
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Amy Williams
Hey! I've accepted my offer for KS2 primary PGCE! Did you receive a letter in the post at all xx

Hi, congratulations! I'm doing the Foundation/KS1 course. Haven't had anything in the post yet, just the confirmation email when I was offered a place. Was so pleased to be offered a place, I was very impressed by the interview!

Anne
Original post by Heggy
Hi, congratulations! I'm doing the Foundation/KS1 course. Haven't had anything in the post yet, just the confirmation email when I was offered a place. Was so pleased to be offered a place, I was very impressed by the interview!

Anne
Congrats on your place! Did you have offers from any other unis, if so what made you choose Roehampton?
Reply 4
I didn't have any firm offers from other uni's. I had an interview lined up with Goldsmiths but the deadline set by UCAS had passed for them to give me a final decision so automatically recorded a decision of unsuccessful. This meant I had 'replies' from all my choices so even though I could have still gone for the interview I only had 10 days in which to accept Roehampton's offer. At least it made my decision easy! To be honest I was leaning towards Roehampton anyway, it seems like a great course and they have been really responsive and quick throughout the application process. How about you? Just wondering when I'll hear something more from them really, especially about setting up our own work experience for the first week of term in September, feel like I should be sorting that out!

Anne
Reply 5
I'll be there, KS2 :-) I initially started the course last year but withdrew and reapplied due some personal issues. The course is pretty good although organisation of school placements can be pretty last minute!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'll be there studying KS2! I've been looking for course-mates since I got the offer, so I'm glad I stumbled across this!!
I'm new to thestudentroom and haven't a clue what I'm doing, are you guys going to be living in halls or finding a house or flat? I'd really like to find a house as I've lived in halls for the last 3 years while I do my undergrad degree, but have no idea how to go about it, especially with the halls applications opening next week. Mikey, did you see the halls last year at all? If so what are they like?

Nice to meet you all by the way, so excited for September and nervous already! :-D
Reply 7
Original post by halagoo
I'll be there studying KS2! I've been looking for course-mates since I got the offer, so I'm glad I stumbled across this!!
I'm new to thestudentroom and haven't a clue what I'm doing, are you guys going to be living in halls or finding a house or flat? I'd really like to find a house as I've lived in halls for the last 3 years while I do my undergrad degree, but have no idea how to go about it, especially with the halls applications opening next week. Mikey, did you see the halls last year at all? If so what are they like?

Nice to meet you all by the way, so excited for September and nervous already! :-D

I saw halls and I think I'll be moving back in there as it is so close to the university. The halls are fairly nice, standard room and en-suite really!
Reply 8
Original post by Mikey
I saw halls and I think I'll be moving back in there as it is so close to the university. The halls are fairly nice, standard room and en-suite really!

Yeah, I'll probably move into them as it's easier than trying to find a house. They're just double what I'm paying now so it's going to be a bit of a shock! Were you on the course long? What can we expect when we get there (except hard work and early mornings haha)??
Reply 9
I was on the course for about 2.5 months and it's intense but you adjust to it! There are a couple of essays and some reading to go with lectures then in placement you kind of just put it all into practise really.

Well then I'll hopefully see you in halls we may be in the same flat! Are you male or female haha sorry to ask but can't work out from the name!
Reply 10
Original post by Mikey
I was on the course for about 2.5 months and it's intense but you adjust to it! There are a couple of essays and some reading to go with lectures then in placement you kind of just put it all into practise really.

Well then I'll hopefully see you in halls we may be in the same flat! Are you male or female haha sorry to ask but can't work out from the name!

Sounds good. I'm really looking forward to it! Haha yeah maybe, are the halls quite social do you know? Or are they really quiet? I guess it really depends on the year but I know I couldn't live in the loud halls environment I live in now for a PGCE year! Female haha, I don't really know what I'm doing on here yet. Bit of a newbie. I guess you come across more female than male on this kind of course though!! Sorry for all the questions by the way it's just so nice to finally find people on the course and also I'm super excited haha
Reply 11
Original post by halagoo
Sounds good. I'm really looking forward to it! Haha yeah maybe, are the halls quite social do you know? Or are they really quiet? I guess it really depends on the year but I know I couldn't live in the loud halls environment I live in now for a PGCE year! Female haha, I don't really know what I'm doing on here yet. Bit of a newbie. I guess you come across more female than male on this kind of course though!! Sorry for all the questions by the way it's just so nice to finally find people on the course and also I'm super excited haha

Haha don't worry about it, it is a pretty exciting time after all! The halls are mainly for PGCE students but there might be a few undergrads in the ground floor - the halls opposite are also undergrads (but all in studying education and have placements themselves) but you aside from fresher's week and the odd Friday night you don't hear too much commotion :-)

I really enjoyed being so close to the uni so will definitely be moving back into halls! They are quite social but not in the sense that you will be kept up all night as everyone else is in the same boat.

So Halagoo - do you mind if I ask your real name? If you are applying early then it is likely we will be in the same flat and as you're KS2 we may be in the same tutor group as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Mikey
Haha don't worry about it, it is a pretty exciting time after all! The halls are mainly for PGCE students but there might be a few undergrads in the ground floor - the halls opposite are also undergrads (but all in studying education and have placements themselves) but you aside from fresher's week and the odd Friday night you don't hear too much commotion :-)

I really enjoyed being so close to the uni so will definitely be moving back into halls! They are quite social but not in the sense that you will be kept up all night as everyone else is in the same boat.

So Halagoo - do you mind if I ask your real name? If you are applying early then it is likely we will be in the same flat and as you're KS2 we may be in the same tutor group as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good then! Although if I find anyone looking for a house I'll definitely consider it, I really fancy a change next year. My name is Harriet, sorry probably should have said that sooner haha. I'm not sure how early I'll be applying to halls, it all depends on whether I can afford the deposit!
Reply 13
Original post by Heggy
Just wondering when I'll hear something more from them really, especially about setting up our own work experience for the first week of term in September, feel like I should be sorting that out!

Anne

Hi Anne, I've been wondering that too. I'm a worried I'll miss something as Roehampton have had trouble emailing me, I had to call up and confirm I'd got the offer as their email didn't come through! I'm sure something will come in due course though. What made you choose KS1?

Harriet
Reply 14
Ah well nice to meet you Harriet. The deposit is £250 and that's due in about July if I recall correctly so it doesn't have to be made when you apply. It is fairly expensive but has all bills included, is right on campus and because you live on campus you can claim all travel expenses from the university for when you are on placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Mikey
Ah well nice to meet you Harriet. The deposit is £250 and that's due in about July if I recall correctly so it doesn't have to be made when you apply. It is fairly expensive but has all bills included, is right on campus and because you live on campus you can claim all travel expenses from the university for when you are on placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice to meet you too! Oh it's due in July?! That makes things a lot easier! I didn't realise I could claim travel expenses too, that's great news. How far away was your placement when you were there? I don't drive and I'm worried I'm going to have to travel miles by public transport which would be an absolute nightmare!
Reply 16
Original post by halagoo
Nice to meet you too! Oh it's due in July?! That makes things a lot easier! I didn't realise I could claim travel expenses too, that's great news. How far away was your placement when you were there? I don't drive and I'm worried I'm going to have to travel miles by public transport which would be an absolute nightmare!

Well I had a bit of a difficult placement really but my placement took me about 1h 20m to get there but most people got much closer ones. I didn't have a car with me at uni so it's all public transport, though usually it's just one bus and a bit of a walk.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Mikey
Well I had a bit of a bad placement really and had a bit of trouble with the uni with it but my placement took me about 1h 20m to get there but most people got much closer ones. I didn't have a car with me at uni so it's all public transport, though usually it's just one bus and a bit of a walk.

Sounds good! How exciting. Do they put you in pairs for placements or would it just be one to a school sort of thing?
Reply 18
Glad to hear from some others who are starting the course! I'm applying for halls too, hope I get in. I know that you have to live outside a 10 mile radius to qualify for halls and by my reckoning I live 10.7 miles away so fingers crossed. If I don't get in then I guess it will be a last minute dash to get a room in a student house, hopefully won't come to that!

I'm a bit concerned about the distance of placements as well as I don't drive, I suppose lots of people are in the same boat.

And Harriet, in answer to your question I chose KS1 as that was the age group I enjoyed working with the most during my work experience, by specializing so early you are always taking a bit of a chance but I'm sure that's the age group I want to work with:smile:

Are you guys coming straight from your undergraduate degree, I've been working for a few years so will be a bit of a culture shock to be back at uni again!

Anne x
Reply 19
Original post by Heggy

Are you guys coming straight from your undergraduate degree, I've been working for a few years so will be a bit of a culture shock to be back at uni again!

Anne x

Yep I'm in my last year of my undergraduate degree now! I wasn't sure if I wanted to go straight from one to the other (I must be mad) but I'd rather get it all done now as I know what I want to do and I'm used to the work and everything! Have you been working with children?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending