The Student Room Group

Overtaking cyclists

Hi all,
I passed my driving test last July but I still struggle with one particular thing... Overtaking cyclists.

I just worry so much about it. Someone pipped me last week as I wasn't overtaking them and got angry by blasting his horn. Scared me and the cyclist.

Does anybody have any tips for overtaking them safely? Yes I know the Highway Code but sometimes I jus believe I can't do it. I even turn down a random road to avoid them if possible. Please help x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I find that a lot of learners are extremely hesitant to pass cyclists.

In many cases, the road is wide enough, our car is positioned fully to the right of the cyclist (so there is no chance of a collision unless either of us decide to go sideways), yet the learner will brake to 15mph annoying the entire following queue, forcing them all to brake and pile up bunch up. No wonder drivers sound their horns.

If the road is that wide, there is no need even to break speed. Simply steer a little to the right and keep your right foot on the accelerator. Press it and you'll be past in no time. It's far better to pass quickly then return to the left, than spend an extensive and unnecessary time out in the middle of the road where you're a risk to oncoming traffic. You must give the cyclist enough room; at least as much as you would give a car. That said, there's nothing to stop you passing safely at 30mph or whatever the safe speed for the road is. It is unacceptable to slow to an absolute crawl.

Of course, the usual forward planning and judgements will apply. Be aware of impending direction changes the cyclist will make on reaching parked cars. On some narrow roads where there is no room for a car between the cyclist and oncoming traffic, then you have to plan your approach so that you reach the cyclist when there is a gap in that traffic, not when you reach a pinch point and have to slam on the brakes.

Here's a useful tip for developing the confidence to get past safely. Understand that most roads are actually wide enough for cars to fit three or four abreast, so two car widths plus a cyclist needn't be a problem. Use the central hatch markings if they are bordered by a broken line (most are). It's quite ok to borrow that space to give the cyclists the room they need. Oncoming traffic will understand. If there isn't a central hatched area and you're fretting about oncoming traffic, then help them to help you. Give a right indicator. Once the oncoming traffic sees this (and the cyclist), they will understand and should move over slightly to help you. Traffic in all directions will have a good safety margin either side, so make good use of these margins and encourage other drivers to use theirs when you need to "borrow" a little more of the road space for a short time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Advisor
I find that a lot of learners are extremely hesitant to pass cyclists.

In many cases, the road is wide enough, our car is positioned fully to the right of the cyclist (so there is no chance of a collision unless either of us decide to go sideways), yet the learner will brake to 15mph annoying the entire queue, forcing them all to brake and pile up. No wonder drivers sound their horns.

If the road is that wide, there is no need even to break speed. Simply steer a little to the right and keep your right foot on the accelerator. Press it and you'll be past in no time. It's far better to pass quickly then return to the left, than spend an extensive and unnecessary time out in the middle of the road where you're a risk to oncoming traffic. You must give the cyclist enough room; at least as much as you would give a car. That said, there's nothing to stop you passing safely at 30mph or whatever the safe speed for the road is. It is unacceptable to slow to an absolute crawl.

Of course, the usual forward planning and judgements will apply. Be aware of impending direction changes the cyclist will make on reaching parked cars. On some narrow roads where there is no room for a car between the cyclist and oncoming traffic, then you have to plan your approach so that you reach the cyclist when there is a gap in that traffic, not when you reach a pinch point and have to slam on the brakes.

I cannot disagree with this enough - if the people behind are having to break they are crap drivers and it is their own stupid fault. They should be leaving enough room that they can slow and avoid pile-ups.

Op - take your time. NEVER let yourself be pressured by other drivers into doing something you arent 100% comfortable with as (from experience) it can lead to accidents. My advice is level space, hang back and give yourself time to check your environment thoroughly. You only get quicker at this through experience so it might annoy other drivers for now but let's face it you're only adding a couple of seconds into their journey and they will get over it.
Reply 3
Original post by redferry
I cannot disagree with this enough - if the people behind are having to break they are crap drivers and it is their own stupid fault. They should be leaving enough room that they can slow and avoid pile-ups.
I never suggested they were slamming on harshly, although my use of the words "pile up" may have implied a crash, which wasn't my intention. Let's just say that dawdling along at 15mph for no good reason forces all the following traffic to brake significantly over time and bunch up. This is completely unacceptable.

The examples that I have seen on the road are not merely "adding a couple of seconds to their journey" as you put it, but are creating congestion which lasts a lot longer and would have continued for the entire length of a main road had I not verbally intervened. Causing congestion like that is bad for the environment and encourages others to take risks. You wouldn't like it if you were stuck behind a massive tailback that existed needlessly behind one solitary driver with no skill or judgement.

I accept that beginners will take a while to develop this skill and judgements and in the early stages, a beginner may be forgiven for a short hold-up, but the OP must understand the "end goal" here. There is a defined outcome that all drivers must follow when they pass their tests and are unleashed onto the roads. This defined outcome is about safe driving for life, not just the temporary periods when one is learning the basics. If drivers don't understand what is expected of them eventually, they will continue to drive badly. The OP should understand how she should drive the day after passing, so aside from a couple of word choices, I stand by my previous post.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Advisor
I never suggested they were slamming on harshly, although my use of the words "pile up" may have implied a crash, which wasn't my intention. Let's just say that dawdling along at 15mph for no good reason forces all the following traffic to brake significantly over time and bunch up. This is completely unacceptable.

The examples that I have seen on the road are not merely "adding a couple of seconds to their journey" as you put it, but are creating congestion which lasts a lot longer and would have continued for the entire length of a main road had I not verbally intervened. Causing congestion like that is bad for the environment and encourages others to take risks. You wouldn't like it if you were stuck behind a massive tailback that existed needlessly behind one solitary driver with no skill or judgement.

I accept that beginners will take a while to develop this skill and judgements and in the early stages, a beginner may be forgiven for a short hold-up, but the OP must understand the "end goal" here. There is a defined outcome that all drivers must follow when they pass their tests and are unleashed onto the roads. This defined outcome is about safe driving for life, not just the temporary periods when one is learning the basics. If drivers don't understand what is expected of them eventually, they will continue to drive badly. The OP should understand how she should drive the day after passing, so aside from a couple of word choices, I stand by my previous post.

If they take risks that is their bad and they shouldn't force others to do the same.

I was uncertain at a junction and someone kept flashing me and honking me, I pulled out and had a car hit me at 60mph side on. It was the worst experience of my life. Allowing other drivers to pressure you is the worst thing you can do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by redferry
Of they take risks that is their bad and they shouldn't force others to do the same.

I was uncertain at a junction and someone flash on me and honking me, pulled out and had a car hit me at 60mph side on. It was the worst experience of my life. Allowing other drivers to pressure you is the worst thing you can do.
Now I understand. It was your decision alone to proceed onto a 60mph road, which you should do based on your observations alone. The driver sounding the horn didn't "force you" to pull out, that was your decision. Reacting to a horn by pulling out regardless was dangerous, as you discovered. Also ask yourself why the driver was honking... were you there for ages missing gap after gap? It sounds like you have problems judging the speed and proximity of fast moving traffic.

The OPs situation is a different risk altogether. Passing a cyclist on a wide road is a far lesser risk than emerging onto a national speed limit road. Done safely and in a timely manner, this will prevent following drivers from sounding horns out of impatience, but at no point should the driver react to a horn note by driving directly into a danger.

My message to any driver is that if you find yourself regularly honked at every day, then something is amiss with your judgement. If you react to a horn in a blind panic by driving into a collision situation, then something is definitely wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
On a road with no parked cars and empty or quiet pavements, I will usually overtake a cyclist at whatever speed I was doing before. However, if this places me over the centre white line, I will slow down a little, and I will make sure there are no large vehicles or motorcycles coming in the opposite direction (and if possible, that there are no cyclists being overtaken on that side of the road as well).

On a road with parked cars or busy pavements, however, I will wait until I can see that I can overtake the cyclist safely, and if that means crawling 5 miles along the same road at 15mph, so be it. When there are parked cars, you need to leave sufficient space that if someone suddenly opens a car door and the cyclist has to swerve, you can still swerve around them. Same with busy pavements - there may be small children or dogs, or just idiots who step into the road.

OP, never ever overtake a cyclist because a driver behind gets annoyed. If it happens every time you're stuck behind a cyclist, maybe see if an instructor can give you a couple of sessions in a cyclist-heavy area? But if it's once or twice, even if you feel flustereed every time, do NOT give in to the pressure from other drivers, because it will end badly, and "he used his horn so I thought I had to go" won't be helpful in an insurance claim!
I've never had this pressure overtaking cyclists before, but I've had temporary traffic lights placed so that the traffic in the opposite dicrection usually back up BEYOND the entrance when it was rush hour, and I had to sit through THREE green lights once before it was clear AND green and I could go. So many people were tooting their horns, but if I had gone, I would have caused a crash, or blocked up the traffic in both directions, because there was no way that traffic from the other direction would see me if I went on my red light (their green) until it was too late! As proven by the two idiots who overtook me at the same lights a couple of days later (well into the red light, when they could have seen the oncoming traffic very clearly) and mercifully avoided a crash but ending up reversing very slowly to numerous car horns from either direction of traffic - if there had been a police officer present, no doubt they would have been taken aside!
From the cyclist's perspective, make sure that you give the cyclist enough room - if you don't, it's not only dangerous but terrifying for the cyclist. What is enough room? At least 1.5m between your wingmirror and their elbow / handlebars; ideally a bit more if you're going at 40mph+. However, we're not horses, so there's no need to slow down in the same way. If a cyclist appears to be deliberately cycling in the middle of the road, this is usually because it's not safe to overtake, and so the cyclist is giving you a sodding big hint that you shouldn't try it. So, make sure you check for hazards, from narrow roads to traffic islands.

If the road isn't safe to pass (not wide enough / island ahead / oncoming traffic / blind bend) then it's not safe to overtake, and you shouldn't try to do so, regardless of how annoyed other drivers get. It's better to have an annoyed driver than a dead cyclist.

On a related note, never, ever try and overtake a bike when it's going around a corner. Cyclists often have to go 'wide' around a corner - if you're going at any speed, you simply can't stick to the curb line on a left hand bend - and you don't know what might be coming in the opposite direction. There's also no point in trying to overtake a cyclist when you're coming into red lights - chances are that 10 seconds later the cyclist will overtake you again and go to the front of the queue.
Reply 8
Original post by Advisor
Now I understand. It was your decision alone to proceed onto a 60mph road, which you should do based on your observations alone. The driver sounding the horn didn't "force you" to pull out, that was your decision. Reacting to a horn by pulling out regardless was dangerous, as you discovered. Also ask yourself why the driver was honking... were you there for ages missing gap after gap? It sounds like you have problems judging the speed and proximity of fast moving traffic.

The OPs situation is a different risk altogether. Passing a cyclist on a wide road is a far lesser risk than emerging onto a national speed limit road. Done safely and in a timely manner, this will prevent following drivers from sounding horns out of impatience, but at no point should the driver react to a horn note by driving directly into a danger.

My message to any driver is that if you find yourself regularly honked at every day, then something is amiss with your judgement. If you react to a horn in a blind panic by driving into a collision situation, then something is definitely wrong.

Yes but I let myself feel pressured by the other driver - as I said something you should never do. Unfortunately the fact they kept flashing me made my eyes all glowy and I missed the headlights from the car coming round the corner. If you ever have to drive regularly on country lanes you will know you always regularly get honked for driving fine but not taking the corners at 70.

It could easily have been me running over a cyclist or something instead. I used to let other drivers pressure me into doing things I want comfortable with far too much with retrospect.
Reply 9
Bloody hate cyclists.

That is all.
Original post by Smeggles
Bloody hate cyclists.

That is all.

Charming
When there is a gap of no oncoming traffic, move out into the middle & gun it, then move back in once you've cleared him/her.
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
From the cyclist's perspective, make sure that you give the cyclist enough room - if you don't, it's not only dangerous but terrifying for the cyclist. What is enough room? At least 1.5m between your wingmirror and their elbow / handlebars; ideally a bit more if you're going at 40mph+. However, we're not horses, so there's no need to slow down in the same way. If a cyclist appears to be deliberately cycling in the middle of the road, this is usually because it's not safe to overtake, and so the cyclist is giving you a sodding big hint that you shouldn't try it. So, make sure you check for hazards, from narrow roads to traffic islands.

If the road isn't safe to pass (not wide enough / island ahead / oncoming traffic / blind bend) then it's not safe to overtake, and you shouldn't try to do so, regardless of how annoyed other drivers get. It's better to have an annoyed driver than a dead cyclist.

On a related note, never, ever try and overtake a bike when it's going around a corner. Cyclists often have to go 'wide' around a corner - if you're going at any speed, you simply can't stick to the curb line on a left hand bend - and you don't know what might be coming in the opposite direction. There's also no point in trying to overtake a cyclist when you're coming into red lights - chances are that 10 seconds later the cyclist will overtake you again and go to the front of the queue.

Well, not all of you are :tongue:

Oxford/Wilmslow road needs to either get full cycle lanes or ban cyclists though. It's ridiculous at times.

@ OP. It's very rare you can't overtake a cyclist safe, almost immediately. Don't trust them not to do something stupid though, and never let others pressure you. Just calmly take whatever opportunity you have to get past them. I'm the same with motorbikes, they give me regular coronaries. If a red light or something is coming up though, don't bother - they usually jump it or get ahead anyway.

Assume everybody else on the road is a retard, and you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by samba
Well, not all of you are :tongue:

Oxford/Wilmslow road needs to either get full cycle lanes or ban cyclists though. It's ridiculous at times.

@ OP. It's very rare you can't overtake a cyclist safe, almost immediately. Don't trust them not to do something stupid though, and never let others pressure you. Just calmly take whatever opportunity you have to get past them. I'm the same with motorbikes, they give me regular coronaries. If a red light or something is coming up though, don't bother - they usually jump it or get ahead anyway.

Or ban cars, as they're doing between Hathersage rd and Grosvenor st :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Or ban cars, as they're doing between Hathersage rd and Grosvenor st :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbf I don't care about that part; only travel as far as Rusholme for curries and stuff! It's the part going from St Peters Square to about the student union where bikes are most dangerous. Students literally have no clue how to deal with traffic it seems :s-smilie: At least in Cambridge we had cycle routes and stuff!
Original post by samba
tbf I don't care about that part; only travel as far as Rusholme for curries and stuff! It's the part going from St Peters Square to about the student union where bikes are most dangerous. Students literally have no clue how to deal with traffic it seems :s-smilie: At least in Cambridge we had cycle routes and stuff!

Bikes don't kill people, but cars (& buses & lorries) sure as hell do. There are crap drivers, and there are crap cyclists, but it's very rare for someone who cycles dangerously to do damage to anyone other than themselves (when was the last time you heard of a cyclist hitting someone and killing them? QED), whereas someone who drives dangerously is much more likely to kill someone else.

You are also possibly making the mistake of thinking that bikes have less right to be on the road than cars do, which simply isn't the case from whichever point of view you look at it (legal, moral, tax etc.).

The road design around the SU - St Peters isn't fantastic, but as crap cycling goes it's never particularly struck me as a bad area. Rusholme is about as bad as it gets for crap driving though - I can't begin to tell you how many near misses I've had down there.
Reply 16
The quicker you get past something (cyclist, slow car, tractor etc), the quicker it's over. Just make sure it's safe and go for it. The more you do it, the more you'll get used to it and it'll become second nature.
Reply 17
Bikes don't kill people, but cars (& buses & lorries) sure as hell do. There are crap drivers, and there are crap cyclists, but it's very rare for someone who cycles dangerously to do damage to anyone other than themselves (when was the last time you heard of a cyclist hitting someone and killing them? QED), whereas someone who drives dangerously is much more likely to kill someone else.

You are also possibly making the mistake of thinking that bikes have less right to be on the road than cars do, which simply isn't the case from whichever point of view you look at it (legal, moral, tax etc.).

The road design around the SU - St Peters isn't fantastic, but as crap cycling goes it's never particularly struck me as a bad area. Rusholme is about as bad as it gets for crap driving though - I can't begin to tell you how many near misses I've had down there.

Very hard to comment on the last part of your post without sounding somewhat racist. Let's just say I totally agree, and put it down to cultural differences and licenses earned in a different country.

Bikes do kill people, the riders. Pretty often. Driving is obviously a far bigger responsibility though, hence the need for insurance and licensing and all the other stuff we have to go through. I've both driven and cycled down there (lived in a homeless hostel in walmer st when i was 16) and can categorically state that a large proportion of cyclists literally don't give a ****, about themselves or others. You can't put all the onus on a driver for keeping yourself safe; you have responsibility too. Something like 60%? (not a study, just off the top of my head) of cyclists regularly jump reds, transition from pavements to roads, etc etc. They need to get £60 fines for doing it tbh, just like a driver would.

I never said bikes have less RIGHT to be on the road, it's not about right :s-smilie: It's about logistics and safety. I just don't consider it a particularly safe stretch of road for cycling. (especially considering it's only a 20 minute walk from one end to the other anyway)
Reply 18
It just takes time to learn the size of your car. Better to be safe than sorry anyway - a beep is better than a manslaughter charge
Original post by samba

@ OP. It's very rare you can't overtake a cyclist safe, almost immediately.

This really depends on where you drive. In many busy urban but small roads, it's quite rare to be able to pass a cyclist immediately.

Don't trust them not to do something stupid though, and never let others pressure you. Just calmly take whatever opportunity you have to get past them.

Good advice.

Very good advice!

Another tip is not to get too close behind the cyclist when waiting for your opportunity to pass. If you leave a little gap, it gives you better visibility of the road ahead, and allows you to accelerate more quickly as you don't have to pull to the right to much to get past.

You can also drift towards the middle of the road as you approach a cyclist or group assuming the road ahead is clear. If it remains clear, then go for it, leaving plenty of space. If there's oncoming traffic, then just drift gently back to the left.

Also make sure there is enough room ahead of the cyclist to pass. Many drivers in traffic don't check this, then begin to overtake only to realise they can't really get past the cyclist. They then pull in right next to or in front of the cyclist, which is dangerous.

Use of horns and lights should be taken as a sign to do something. They are only used to signal to others your presence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending