The Student Room Group

Previous Study Rule

Does the Previous Study Rule that SFI use apply if your previous loan is totally paid off?

I studied 1 term at one uni then some years later did 2 years of a degree and got transferred to a related degree and didn't like it and dropped out after 1 term. SFI are saying they will could that as 4 years funding. But my last time at uni ended in 2007 and since then I have paid off my loan in full so no outstanding debts at all.
Your payment status is irrelevant.
SFE are correct.
You've had your lot I'm afraid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Andy13
Does the Previous Study Rule that SFI use apply if your previous loan is totally paid off?

Yes it does apply. SF entitlement is based on the number of years of previous uni-level study you've had, and not whether you have paid off previous SF debt. Everyone gets a set number of years of funding (with some expandable boundaries) for their lifetime and once you've used it up, you get no more.

I studied 1 term at one uni (ONE YEAR USED) then some years later did 2 years of a degree (TWO YEARS USED) and got transferred to a related degree and didn't like it and dropped out after 1 term (ONE YEAR USED). SFI are saying they will could that as 4 years funding. But my last time at uni ended in 2007 and since then I have paid off my loan in full so no outstanding debts at all.

Your lifetime entitlement is calculated as:

Number of years of your new uni course (minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining number of years of full entitlement to SF funding.

For the purposes of that calculation, SF count partial years as complete. You have therefore had 4 years of funding as SF have told you (I've highlighted them in your quote above). If you're looking at a new 3 year degree course, the calculation gives you 3-4+1=0 years of full entitlement remaining.

If you dropped out of any of your courses due to something like a health problem or bereavement, you could submit for "Compelling Personal Reasons" and maybe claw back a year or two of funding entitlement. However your claim would have to be backed up by written evidence from e.g. a GP, hospital consultant, therapist etc., stating what your problems were and why they prevented you from studying. If you just dropped out of your courses because you didn't want to do them any more or your results were poor, then CPR wouldn't apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending