The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Question about course choices

Ok so I was told that when you go to Stirling, in your first year you do 3 courses.. but my question is can i continue to do them through my 4 years at stirling?

I have both unconditionals for french and also sociology/criminology but cant decicde which.. but if i choose sociology and criminology and pick up french in my first year, can i continue to do french until the end of my 4th year?
Reply 1
Original post by LindseyMck
Ok so I was told that when you go to Stirling, in your first year you do 3 courses.. but my question is can i continue to do them through my 4 years at stirling?

I have both unconditionals for french and also sociology/criminology but cant decicde which.. but if i choose sociology and criminology and pick up french in my first year, can i continue to do french until the end of my 4th year?

Hi Lindsey,

Before I attempt to answer your question, you should maybe try and get in contact with someone who attends Stirling Uni, or maybe any Uni, especially if they are doing a joint degree and ask them the same question.

So, just trying to understand what you have said - You have an unconditional offer for French and also an unconditional offer Sociology and Criminology joint degree? Is that right?

What you want to know is if you can take Sociology/Criminology and French in your first year?

As far as I am aware, Sociology and Criminology is a joint (combined) degree, so effectively if you added French, you'd be taking 3 subjects. Not to say you can't because I don't know for sure, however, practically, it might not be ideal. In a joint degree, you'd already have more classes than a single degree. If you added a third, you'd run the rick of having over lapping classes, not to mention the immense work load you would have.

UPDATE:

I asked a friend who studies at Stirling and she has a friend who does 3 subjects. So it must be possible. However, I highly doubt you would be able to do all three throughout the course of 4 years. I think you'd have to pick one to focus on in your 3rd year. As I know it, the first two years are basically just gaining the basic knowledge you need for your 3rd and 4th year where everything you do counts towards your final mark at the end.

I would give the University a wee email/phonecall tomorrow and inquire. You have nothing to lose :smile:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Original post by Calum10
Hi Lindsey,

Before I attempt to answer your question, you should maybe try and get in contact with someone who attends Stirling Uni, or maybe any Uni, especially if they are doing a joint degree and ask them the same question.

So, just trying to understand what you have said - You have an unconditional offer for French and also an unconditional offer Sociology and Criminology joint degree? Is that right?

What you want to know is if you can take Sociology/Criminology and French in your first year?

As far as I am aware, Sociology and Criminology is a joint (combined) degree, so effectively if you added French, you'd be taking 3 subjects. Not to say you can't because I don't know for sure, however, practically, it might not be ideal. In a joint degree, you'd already have more classes than a single degree. If you added a third, you'd run the rick of having over lapping classes, not to mention the immense work load you would have.

UPDATE:

I asked a friend who studies at Stirling and she has a friend who does 3 subjects. So it must be possible. However, I highly doubt you would be able to do all three throughout the course of 4 years. I think you'd have to pick one to focus on in your 3rd year. As I know it, the first two years are basically just gaining the basic knowledge you need for your 3rd and 4th year where everything you do counts towards your final mark at the end.

I would give the University a wee email/phonecall tomorrow and inquire. You have nothing to lose :smile:

Hi calum, thank you for replying so fast!

Thats what my main worry was that it would be too many, i am just so torn as to which course to do as obviously I am still in the mindset of doing many subjects in high school!

I'd love to do sociology and criminology but I feel I have a real knack at languages so would love to continue on with them, but I am just worried that I hate doing full time french and nothing else :frown:

I am going to ask them at the applicants day about how taking different subjects work and what they recommend etc so hopefully i will get a clearer mindset from that! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hi calum, thank you for replying so fast!

Thats what my main worry was that it would be too many, i am just so torn as to which course to do as obviously I am still in the mindset of doing many subjects in high school!

I'd love to do sociology and criminology but I feel I have a real knack at languages so would love to continue on with them, but I am just worried that I hate doing full time french and nothing else :frown:

I am going to ask them at the applicants day about how taking different subjects work and what they recommend etc so hopefully i will get a clearer mindset from that! :biggrin:

Lindsey, that's a great idea. I completely forgot about the applicants day. That's a great opportunity to ask the question. You could even attempt to track down someone who studies three subjects and ask them how they cope.

I mean if you decided to give all three a shot and it was getting too much, you could drop French or Sociology/Criminology and just stick to the one you were excelling in or the one you enjoyed more. I studied Sociology for a while and it's extremely interesting. Then again, I had an excellent teacher who made it interesting and fun to do. I generally felt Sociology was a mash up of Politics and Philosophy. You could debate about things like you would in politics, but you also had to determine what was socially right/wrong/acceptable/unacceptable. So if you are one who enjoys really thinking and debating, I reckon you'd enjoy Sociology.

But like you said, at the applicants day, go and pose the questions to current students and lecturers and find out.

What date are you going to the applicants day?
Reply 4
Original post by Calum10
Lindsey, that's a great idea. I completely forgot about the applicants day. That's a great opportunity to ask the question. You could even attempt to track down someone who studies three subjects and ask them how they cope.

I mean if you decided to give all three a shot and it was getting too much, you could drop French or Sociology/Criminology and just stick to the one you were excelling in or the one you enjoyed more. I studied Sociology for a while and it's extremely interesting. Then again, I had an excellent teacher who made it interesting and fun to do. I generally felt Sociology was a mash up of Politics and Philosophy. You could debate about things like you would in politics, but you also had to determine what was socially right/wrong/acceptable/unacceptable. So if you are one who enjoys really thinking and debating, I reckon you'd enjoy Sociology.

But like you said, at the applicants day, go and pose the questions to current students and lecturers and find out.

What date are you going to the applicants day?

I think sociology sounds fab haha! Absoloutley I shall go on a hunt for somebody who does any of those subjects or does 3 subjects!

I am going on the 22nd of March! How about you?
Reply 5
I think sociology sounds fab haha! Absoloutley I shall go on a hunt for somebody who does any of those subjects or does 3 subjects!

I am going on the 22nd of March! How about you?

What you could do is go on to the Stirling 2013 Applicants thread (I think it's on page 2 or 3) and have a look through and see who was accepted last year for the degree and give them a PM or direct email. You might be able to ask them some questions about how they are enjoying it :smile:

I'm going on the 5th of April. I was going to go on the 22nd of March, but I am taking my Grandparents away to the North of Scotland for their 60th Wedding Anniversary.

Be sure to let us know how you get on with the applicants day and let us know if you find anyone on the other thread who you are able to chat with regarding Sociology etc :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Calum10
What you could do is go on to the Stirling 2013 Applicants thread (I think it's on page 2 or 3) and have a look through and see who was accepted last year for the degree and give them a PM or direct email. You might be able to ask them some questions about how they are enjoying it :smile:

I'm going on the 5th of April. I was going to go on the 22nd of March, but I am taking my Grandparents away to the North of Scotland for their 60th Wedding Anniversary.

Be sure to let us know how you get on with the applicants day and let us know if you find anyone on the other thread who you are able to chat with regarding Sociology etc :smile:

Thats a great idea perfect thank you!!

Oh lovely, where abouts you off to and where are you from? :smile:

Ah I was going to go on the 5th of April but realised im in New York that week! :tongue:
Reply 7
Thats a great idea perfect thank you!!

Oh lovely, where abouts you off to and where are you from? :smile:

Ah I was going to go on the 5th of April but realised im in New York that week! :tongue:

I'm from just outside Glasgow :smile:

Going to a place between Crieff and Perth. 8 bedroom house because there is a group of us going :smile:

Lol, you win! NYC is gorgeous.
Reply 8
Original post by Calum10
I'm from just outside Glasgow :smile:

Going to a place between Crieff and Perth. 8 bedroom house because there is a group of us going :smile:

Lol, you win! NYC is gorgeous.

Ah same as me!

Oh wow that sounds lovely! Enjoy!

Oh good, I have never been before!:biggrin:

Hi, im currently a criminology and law student at stirling :smile:

if you choose to do sociology/crim, in first year you will only study sociology, you do not start criminology until second year (even if this is your degree). therefore in first year you do 3 subjects, one being a sociology module and if you wanted to do french you could also.

you could apply for either subject then once youre at uni, ask to change your degree to a joint degree in sociology and french or criminology and french, if doing these together is possible.

however with a language you will have to go abroad for a semester/year. as far as im aware you cant study criminology abroad so i dont know how this would work.

so yes you can do french and soc/crim in first year, but things will change as you progress.

there is a degree calender which you can access should you accept an offer at stirling. it will outline your degree structure.

for example, with my degree in 4th year i choose whether i want to do a crim or law dissertation, but also have to do a module in the one i dont do as my diss.

but youre best to contact the schools office or head to be 100% sure. my friend is doing a degree in 3 subjects, politics history and education, when she originally was only doing history and education but was able to add a third subject to her degree title.

Quick Reply

Latest