Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St. Cuthbert's Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Rooster523
Once you've applied and had an offer made, I would email the college and explain the situation- there's actually a lot of standard self catered rooms (at least 13 flats) so I'd've thought you wouldn't have that much trouble

Okay, thank you!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Any burning questions you have about Cuth's, feel free to fire away.

Are you still available for supporting 2015 offer holders?
Through your thread I found more useful info than anywhere else, about my chosen college:smile:
Thank you and congrats:congrats:
Original post by trubadur
Any burning questions you have about Cuth's, feel free to fire away.

Are you still available for supporting 2015 offer holders?
Through your thread I found more useful info than anywhere else, about my chosen college:smile:
Thank you and congrats:congrats:

Since creating this thread I've managed to worm my way onto the Cuth's JCR executive committee so I'm probably in a far better position to answer questions now than I was this time last year...

Fire away!
Since creating this thread I've managed to worm my way onto the Cuth's JCR executive committee so I'm probably in a far better position to answer questions now than I was this time last year...

Fire away!

Congratulations.I hope the thread starts rolling again:smile:(I'll bring people from other threads who are eager to know things about Cuth's).
-which are the chances to be allocated in Bailey as long as I select fully catered, single room.Is FC/PC/SC or room type(single,en-suite,shared) the first criteria for allocation in Bailey/Parsons?
-are there members of the swimming club at Cuth's?
-distances to swimming pool, Chemistry Dept and to Japanese classes?
-do you know any Romanian students at Cuth's?
That's all for now,others to come:smile::smile:
Thanks a lot:yy:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi I was wondering how Bailey was. And how do we choose Bailey. Would we get some form on June or so. Also how are the sporting facilities.
What are you're views on sharing and opting to be alone.
On the book accommodation section of my post offer open day St Cuthberts is listed, does this mean it is likely to be the college I am allocated to?
Original post by matt_turner91
On the book accommodation section of my post offer open day St Cuthberts is listed, does this mean it is likely to be the college I am allocated to?

Should be like that. Didn't you receive an email from them?
Nope, there was some sort of error that led to me being assigned to Stephenson (on Queen's campus) that I spoke to them about this morning and they said that my assigned college will contact me in the next few days.
Congratulations.I hope the thread starts rolling again:smile:(I'll bring people from other threads who are eager to know things about Cuth's).
-which are the chances to be allocated in Bailey as long as I select fully catered, single room.Is FC/PC/SC or room type(single,en-suite,shared) the first criteria for allocation in Bailey/Parsons?
-are there members of the swimming club at Cuth's?
-distances to swimming pool, Chemistry Dept and to Japanese classes?
-do you know any Romanian students at Cuth's?
That's all for now,others to come:smile::smile:
Thanks a lot:yy:

If you select fully catered as first choice, you are definitely more likely to end up on the Bailey, but it is no guarantee however.

I do not know the criteria for room allocation- it is done by the JCR president (who changes each year) and a few members of college staff. Factors include: personality traits, room preferences, hobbies, likes/dislikes, life experiences etc. We try and match people together as best we can whilst taking into account room preferences.

Cuth's has its very own swimming club, so yes.

Distances to swimming pool, Chemistry dept from Bailey: 8-10 minutes and 15 minutes respectively. From Parson's: 10-12 minutes for both.
I don't know where the Japanese language classes are held so I'm afraid I can't say, Durham's pretty small so I'd hedge a bet on it being a maximum of 20 minutes' walk away.

I do not know any Romanian students in Cuth's. I know Lithuanians, Bulgarians and Hungarians but no Romanians I'm afraid.
Original post by tsandhu2
Hi I was wondering how Bailey was. And how do we choose Bailey. Would we get some form on June or so. Also how are the sporting facilities.
What are you're views on sharing and opting to be alone.

The Bailey houses often become very close knit and go for breakfast/lunch/dinner together. The rooms vary in terms of size, some are quite small, others are absolutely massive.

You'll get given a pack in August/Sept (post results day) and given 6 preferences to order: Bailey single, Bailey shared, Parson's single self catered, Parson's en-suite self-catered, Parson's single part-catered and Parson's en-suite part-catered. You list those in your order of preference and along with them, tell us your likes/dislikes, passions, hobbies etc and we try and match you up as best we can.

Sporting facilities at Cuth's are alright: You get access to a cardio gym and a weights gym as part of being a member of the JCR (which I think is £50 for the entirety of your time at Cuth's) and the ability to join any Cuth's sport/society you desire. If the Cuth's gyms aren't up to scratch, there's a local gym and a university owned gym which are better equipped (but you've got to pay to use)

Sharing or going alone is a very personal thing. For me, I'd lived away from home before I came to uni so the idea of having to share a room again would have been awful. For some, sharing rooms is an excellent way to make friends.
If you select fully catered as first choice, you are definitely more likely to end up on the Bailey, but it is no guarantee however.

Thank you very much for your kind answer.You got my vote for the next elections:wink:(should I be an elector?:smile:)
Next ones,as promised:biggrin::
-is it difficult to find part time jobs or activities like student ambassadors or even at academic depts(summer or term ones)?
-distance to closest ski slope(if any)?
-is it compulsory to leave the the rooms during holidays,in case you are involved in an uni related activity?
Only 3 in a row:tongue:Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE="trubadur;53754949"]

Thank you very much for your kind answer.You got my vote for the next elections:wink:(should I be an elector?:smile:)
Next ones,as promised:biggrin::
-is it difficult to find part time jobs or activities like student ambassadors or even at academic depts(summer or term ones)?
-distance to closest ski slope(if any)?
-is it compulsory to leave the the rooms during holidays,in case you are involved in an uni related activity?
Only 3 in a row:tongue:Thanks

There are opportunities do part time jobs as an ambassador- less so within departments but it's not unheard of. Best source of part time employment is the bar at Cuth's, though it's quite competitive because everyone is poor haha!

The nearest ski slope is an hour's drive away- though I'd be inclined to speak to the Uni ski/snowboard club (who live here: http://www.dussc.co.uk/) for more accurate info.

It is compulsory to leave rooms over Christmas for both Parson's and Bailey. Over Easter, Bailey students have to leave but those on Parson's do not.
[QUOTE="Rooster523;53755609"]

There are opportunities do part time jobs as an ambassador- less so within departments but it's not unheard of. Best source of part time employment is the bar at Cuth's, though it's quite competitive because everyone is poor haha!

The nearest ski slope is an hour's drive away- though I'd be inclined to speak to the Uni ski/snowboard club (who live here: http://www.dussc.co.uk/) for more accurate info.

It is compulsory to leave rooms over Christmas for both Parson's and Bailey. Over Easter, Bailey students have to leave but those on Parson's do not.

You're very prompt and kind.Thank you.
Hey! What's the community like in Parsons field??
Original post by Lauraalice.
Hey! What's the community like in Parsons field??

Cracking. Really friendly atmosphere- thoroughly enjoyed my time living there!
How far is it from Parsons / Bailey to the politics dept?
The Bailey houses often become very close knit and go for breakfast/lunch/dinner together. The rooms vary in terms of size, some are quite small, others are absolutely massive.

You'll get given a pack in August/Sept (post results day) and given 6 preferences to order: Bailey single, Bailey shared, Parson's single self catered, Parson's en-suite self-catered, Parson's single part-catered and Parson's en-suite part-catered. You list those in your order of preference and along with them, tell us your likes/dislikes, passions, hobbies etc and we try and match you up as best we can.

Sporting facilities at Cuth's are alright: You get access to a cardio gym and a weights gym as part of being a member of the JCR (which I think is £50 for the entirety of your time at Cuth's) and the ability to join any Cuth's sport/society you desire. If the Cuth's gyms aren't up to scratch, there's a local gym and a university owned gym which are better equipped (but you've got to pay to use)

Sharing or going alone is a very personal thing. For me, I'd lived away from home before I came to uni so the idea of having to share a room again would have been awful. For some, sharing rooms is an excellent way to make friends.

Thank you so much for providing me with a better insight. If I may ask what sort of answers would get me into Bailey. Like what dislikes and likes should I put in. I really want Bailey. Because I love the traditional and historical bit of it as I have myself come from a boarding School in India build in 1847 by the British. Thank you.
I hope it's ok to ask such a question regarding answers.
Original post by tsandhu2
Thank you so much for providing me with a better insight. If I may ask what sort of answers would get me into Bailey. Like what dislikes and likes should I put in. I really want Bailey. Because I love the traditional and historical bit of it as I have myself come from a boarding School in India build in 1847 by the British. Thank you.
I hope it's ok to ask such a question regarding answers.

It's not a case of 'we put the people who like this on the Bailey' it's a case of we try and match people who have similar likes/dislikes/room preferences as best we can.

I'd say the way to maximise your chances of being on the Bailey is by putting a shared room as your number 1 choice- that is no guarantee however.
-with choice 1 Bailey single and choice 2 Bailey shared, selecting full catered, looks like chances to end up on Bailey are close to 100%:smile:?

Cuth's has its very own swimming club, so yes.

Distances to swimming pool, Chemistry dept from Bailey: 8-10 minutes and 15 minutes respectively. From Parson's: 10-12 minutes for both.
-are you talking about Freemans Quay swimming pool?

I do not know any Romanian students in Cuth's.
-I am trying to find the email address of Andrei Dinca, 4th year Geography from Cuth's(from the uni site student ambassador's page).Will you help me?

Thanks again:ta:
It's not a case of 'we put the people who like this on the Bailey' it's a case of we try and match people who have similar likes/dislikes/room preferences as best we can.

I'd say the way to maximise your chances of being on the Bailey is by putting a shared room as your number 1 choice- that is no guarantee however.

Oh ok yh I understand. Thank you so much.😊

Quick Reply

Latest