The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St. Cuthbert's Society

Hola gang, long time TSRian, first year Cuth's student here.

It's about that time of year when you're allocated your college and no doubt some of you out there have been accepted/put into Cuth's.

Any burning questions you have about Cuth's, feel free to fire away.

PS. you're going to the best college.

Edit:WE HAVE A FACEBOOK GROUP
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cuthsfreshers2014
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've never been to Durham before so chose my college fairly randomly. I am coming to a post-offer day in a week or two to see the university and college, but what would you say is the best thing about St Cuth's? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by BeccyW
I've never been to Durham before so chose my college fairly randomly. I am coming to a post-offer day in a week or two to see the university and college, but what would you say is the best thing about St Cuth's? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then I'll no doubt bump into you at some point!

The best thing about Cuth's is by far and large the people who go to Cuth's.
Without wanting to sound to cliché, it's like one big family. I came to uni very much with the belief I wouldn't fit in but I could not have been more wrong!

The fact you can go fully catered, part catered or self-catered (the only college to offer this) is probably second for me.

Your random choice may very well have been the best random choice you've ever made :yy:
Reply 3
Original post by Rooster523
Then I'll no doubt bump into you at some point!

The best thing about Cuth's is by far and large the people who go to Cuth's.
Without wanting to sound to cliché, it's like one big family. I came to uni very much with the belief I wouldn't fit in but I could not have been more wrong!

The fact you can go fully catered, part catered or self-catered (the only college to offer this) is probably second for me.

Your random choice may very well have been the best random choice you've ever made :yy:

That sounds great! I'm really looking forward to seeing it all. I may very well see you about then! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi!
I've been allocated St Cuth's and don't really know much about it :-)
What is it like, type of people there, pros and cons etc
I read somewhere that its the 'party' type accommodation, is this true?
Thanks
Reply 5
Well you are in luck, because it is by far (incredibly biased opinion here) the best college.

Cuth's is split onto 2 sites, the Bailey (where everybody is fully catered for) and Parson's Field (where everyone is part or self-catered) and they're about a 10 minute walk from each other and both are within walking distance of everywhere else in Durham.

You get the full mix of people coming to Cuth's, I know people who went to some very nice private schools but also know people who come from some not so nice schools. However, this is an irrelevant fact because the overwhelming majority are incredibly friendly- regardless of their background.

Cuth's has allegedly acquired a reputation as a 'party college'
The reality is that because Cuth's bar is open earlier and accommodating to all students (other bars are known to have nights where only members of that college may attend) some people perceive Cuth's as a party college. Truth be told, every college has students who like to party and others who aren't so keen. Wherever you fall on the party spectrum, you'll find someone who thinks the same as you.

Pros: Only college to offer the option of self, partly or fully catered.
Only college to have 2 bars (one on Parson's, one on the Bailey)
Walking distance of pretty much everywhere
Very relaxed, no strict rules surrounding formals.

Cons:
You can't stay after you've finished your degree.
Reply 6
Thanks for your quick reply!
Do you have any pictures of the rooms, how is the size and are there en suites?
Plus is it quite a large college or small?
Also do you live in the self catered or catered and which one do you personally prefer?

sorry for all the questions, haha :-)
Reply 7
There are ensuites in some of the Parson's field accommodation blocks, there are none on the Bailey.

The size of the rooms on Parson's field are pretty much the same (there should be a picture of my wonderfully 'tidy' room attached) but vary on the Bailey depending on luck of the draw or whether you're sharing. The smallest rooms on the Bailey are a touch smaller than those on Parson's but still big in comparison to your average student accommodation.

I live on the self-catered Parson's field site and personally, I prefer that. I get to choose what I eat, when I eat it and how much I spend on food so that works best for me. On the flip side, there have been many hungover Saturday's where I'd've loved nothing more than to be able to roll out of bed, walk 30 seconds down the road and have a freshly made, already paid for, cooked breakfast so as to which is better- I couldn't give you an objective opinion.

It's one of the larger colleges in terms of gross student number but because it's split into two different sites, it feels smaller and rather homely.

edit: forgot to attach the photo. Also attached is the view from my room.

IMAG0159[1].jpg
IMAG0157[2].jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
There are ensuites in some of the Parson's field accommodation blocks, there are none on the Bailey.

The size of the rooms on Parson's field are pretty much the same (there should be a picture of my wonderfully 'tidy' room attached) but vary on the Bailey depending on luck of the draw or whether you're sharing. The smallest rooms on the Bailey are a touch smaller than those on Parson's but still big in comparison to your average student accommodation.

I live on the self-catered Parson's field site and personally, I prefer that. I get to choose what I eat, when I eat it and how much I spend on food so that works best for me. On the flip side, there have been many hungover Saturday's where I'd've loved nothing more than to be able to roll out of bed, walk 30 seconds down the road and have a freshly made, already paid for, cooked breakfast so as to which is better- I couldn't give you an objective opinion.

It's one of the larger colleges in terms of gross student number but because it's split into two different sites, it feels smaller and rather homely.

IMAG0159[1].jpg
IMAG0157[2].jpg

That looks really nice. I think personally I'd want to be self-catered so it's great they offer that. Do you have to specify when applying that you would prefer self-catered? How many people share a kitchen? Is it in a sort of 'flat' format, and if so, do they try to put you with people with similar interests to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

IMAG0159[1].jpg
IMAG0157[2].jpg

great, thank you so much for the pictures! I've been struggling to find any of a student's room :-D
my last question (honest..well maybe) is how far away is your accommodation from the actual university
I am going to be studying law, not sure what subject you do, but do you know if the law building is far from where you live, or is it closer to the bailey?
plus are there a lot of social events and things to do in durham / events organised by ST Cuth's?
Thanks for your responses by the way, they are really insightful and encouraging me to firm Durham! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by BeccyW
That looks really nice. I think personally I'd want to be self-catered so it's great they offer that. Do you have to specify when applying that you would prefer self-catered? How many people share a kitchen? Is it in a sort of 'flat' format, and if so, do they try to put you with people with similar interests to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do get to specify which you'd prefer.

The amount of people you live with will depend which room you're in. For example, in the building I am in, I share a flat with 12 others (sounds like a lot but the kitchens are spacious) but the flat next door to me only has 6 so make of that what you will.

They absolutely put you with people you'll have similar interests with. (as best they can anyway) I came to uni having worked for 3 years after sixth form and found myself with a flat full of people who'd taken gap years so were all of a similar age
Reply 11
Original post by jennyrosso
great, thank you so much for the pictures! I've been struggling to find any of a student's room :-D
my last question (honest..well maybe) is how far away is your accommodation from the actual university
I am going to be studying law, not sure what subject you do, but do you know if the law building is far from where you live, or is it closer to the bailey?
plus are there a lot of social events and things to do in durham / events organised by ST Cuth's?
Thanks for your responses by the way, they are really insightful and encouraging me to firm Durham! :biggrin:

The main law building is on the Science Site (confusing no?) and is closer to the Bailey as the crow flies but owing to the fact you've got to walk up a massive hill from the Bailey, it takes less time to get from Parson's. (see attached picture) If you are unlucky you may have a few tutorials/seminars in Elvet Hill House which is a 20-25 minute walk from Parson's and 15-20 minutes from the Bailey but these would be infrequent [Source: flatmate does Law]

And yes, Cuth's runs a plethora of social events. There are fortnightly formals, acoustic nights fortnightly and the social committee organise one large social event per term (Michaelmas ball first term, The Feast of St Cuthbert 2nd term and Cuth's Day in 3rd term), along with several other smaller ones (Oktoberfest, silent discos and the such) in between. -This is all before you've joined any sports or societies who in turn, organise their own social events as well...if you come to Durham and say "there is nothing to do" you probably aren't trying very hard.

gfds.png
Sup guys, I've been assigned to Cuth's as well. I'm italian, and I'm going to study Economics at Durham. Thank you Rooster523 for your insights on the college, really. I didn't know how was it like, but now I'm relieved since I probably picked the best choice available to me.

By the way, what's your opinion on the Business department? I figured it's one of the most established in the UK, outside the Oxbridge tier. Is it true? What about the facilities then; is the economics building distant from our college?
Reply 13
I don't know a great deal about the Business School I'm afraid, other than it's a very modern building and about a 30 minute walk from the Parson's field site and 25 minutes from the Bailey...

In terms of ranking, I know Durham's in the top 10 for economics but as for the ins and outs of lecture content, teaching style and the like, I'm clueless and sadly I don't know anybody who does economics either.
That's a pity. Don't worry though! I'm pretty sure I will spend a great time either way =)
Reply 15
Got my offer on Monday night, been allocated to Cuth's this evening which I'm thrilled about! Going to be Studying Law and will in all likelihood firm Durham now (deciding between Durham and Bristol), that is assuming it is as lovely as it looks in all the pictures when I come to visit for the first time next week!
Reply 16
Congrats on the offer! I'm helping out on the open days next week so will no doubt bump into you at some point.
Hola gang, long time TSRian, first year Cuth's student here.

It's about that time of year when you're allocated your college and no doubt some of you out there have been accepted/put into Cuth's.

Any burning questions you have about Cuth's, feel free to fire away.

PS. you're going to the best college.

Edit: If you're planning on attending one of the Post application open days, we gone done made a facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stcuthsopendays2014/

Hi I got reallocated to cuths and I've got a few questions.

Firstly, I would prefer catered but I really don't want to share a room. would that normally be possible since I've heard that most rooms in the bailey are shared. Is the food any good from what you hear? Also I heard because its so large you don't get to know everyone and the community isn't that great... is that true or do you feel you know everyone / most people in your year? last thing: how far away are parson's and bailey's from where the maths lectures take place (I'm guessing its the science site)

Oh and also when do you need to write your preferences for accomodation? Is it after we get our exam results?

thanks for the help

edit: forgot to ask: if we put durham as our second choice uni what happens with the accomodation, do we still get to chose etc or do we get placed in the leftover places after everyone else who had it as their first choice is given a room
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by qwertyuiopg
Hi I got reallocated to cuths and I've got a few questions.

Firstly, I would prefer catered but I really don't want to share a room. would that normally be possible since I've heard that most rooms in the bailey are shared. Is the food any good from what you hear? Also I heard because its so large you don't get to know everyone and the community isn't that great... is that true or do you feel you know everyone / most people in your year? last thing: how far away are parson's and bailey's from where the maths lectures take place (I'm guessing its the science site)

Oh and also when do you need to write your preferences for accomodation? Is it after we get our exam results?

thanks for the help

edit: forgot to ask: if we put durham as our second choice uni what happens with the accomodation, do we still get to chose etc or do we get placed in the leftover places after everyone else who had it as their first choice is given a room

There's a 50/50 split between shared and single rooms on the Bailey, if you do want to be fully catered, this the reality of the situation. Having said that, I know people who were adamant they did not want to share a room, found themselves having to share a room and absolutely loving it. Admittedly it's not for everyone, but doesn't mean it'll be a bad experience.

Also, not everyone living on the Bailey selects a single room as their first choice and I know the people in charge of room allocation do their best to put everyone in their first choice.

I've sampled the food on offer and I quite like it. It's carb based (potatoes, rice, pasta being the main staples) but there's a good amount of variety: stir fry, toad in the hole and lasagne were the last 3 meals I had. The Saturday brunch is an absolute godsend, I myself live on the self-catered site but the 10 minute walk to the Bailey is absolutely worth it.

The community at Cuth's is like no other college in the sense you get two communities in the same college- the Parson's field and bailey sites both have their own quirks and feels to them but that's not to say there's a divide between them- that's very much dependent on who you end up being friends with.

I have friends on the Bailey, I know people who don't have friends on the Bailey but to say the community at Cuth's isn't that great is far, far off the mark. I know the large majority of people on the Parson's site and quite a few from the Bailey as well. The opposite is true for the Bailey folk.

Maths lectures are (as far as I'm aware) on the Science site and it's pretty much equidistant from both sites.

Accommodation preferences are indeed sent after exam results and sadly I don't know what bearing firming/insuring Durham has on which accommodation you get.
(edited 10 years ago)
There's a 50/50 split between shared and single rooms on the Bailey, if you do want to be fully catered, this the reality of the situation. Having said that, I know people who were adamant they did not want to share a room, found themselves having to share a room and absolutely loving it. Admittedly it's not for everyone, but doesn't mean it'll be a bad experience.

Also, not everyone living on the Bailey selects a single room as their first choice and I know the people in charge of room allocation do their best to put everyone in their first choice.

I've sampled the food on offer and I quite like it. It's carb based (potatoes, rice, pasta being the main staples) but there's a good amount of variety: stir fry, toad in the hole and lasagne were the last 3 meals I had. The Saturday brunch is an absolute godsend, I myself live on the self-catered site but the 10 minute walk to the Bailey is absolutely worth it.

The community at Cuth's is like no other college in the sense you get two communities in the same college- the Parson's field and bailey sites both have their own quirks and feels to them but that's not to say there's a divide between them- that's very much dependent on who you end up being friends with.

I have friends on the Bailey, I know people who don't have friends on the Bailey but to say the community at Cuth's isn't that great is far, far off the mark. I know the large majority of people on the Parson's site and quite a few from the Bailey as well. The opposite is true for the Bailey folk.

Maths lectures are (as far as I'm aware) on the Science site and it's pretty much equidistant from both sites.

Accommodation preferences are indeed sent after exam results and sadly I don't know what bearing firming/insuring Durham has on which accommodation you get.

Thank you so much for all the info! It's been really helpful! It's nice to know that the whole thing about there being a lack of community due to the split is just a rumor. Would you mind just answering a few more questions:

Are there many people (if any at all) in Parsons who walk to the bailey to eat? Also do you know approximately how long it would take to walk to the science site? For the accommodation preferences, do you get to rank all possible rooms, for example: Baileys single, then Parson en suite, the parson not en suite, then bailey shared etc. ?? are there sinks in all of the rooms? are there any events organized by the college so we can meet new people? and finally what's the JCR like (as in what it has: pool table, table tennis, tv etc...) and do people actually go there (if not what do they do when not in lectures?)

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for all the help :smile: you've really been a life saver

Quick Reply

Latest