The Student Room Group

Problem getting a place to sit for gcses

Hie guys. i'm new in this country and have been told that i cnt get into a conventional xul since im 18. i dnt hv gcses and need to get a place to write even as an external student. i live in harrogate, north yorkshire.

I have received a bit of some help but tz not complete cz th local xulz r sayin they can only help me with subjects that do not include practicals.

if you have any idea on how to go about this please hlp. i also need to get a place for a-levels afterwards since my desire is to get into an IChemE accredited institution and do the 4-year MEng degree in Chemical Engineering.

My local college, harrogate college, only offers courses like BTECs and HNDs.
Have you tried other sixth forms in the area? I'm sure if you paid them they would let you do GCSEs. I think you would have to start in September though as it's a little late now. It's the same with A Levels.

For GCSEs you would just need to do Maths, English and Science you'd be fine (Achieve above a B in them) and for A Levels you'd have to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
(edited 10 years ago)
most colleges will let you pay for iGCSEs privately, about £50 each, theres no coursework for those and they are equivalent
Reply 3
The colleges all around this area dont offer A-levels either. Is it possible for me to just sit a few GCSEs and then go to college to do a BTEC then at the end of the course sit for A-levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths at the local high schools or the BTEC won't give me such flexibility?

Quick Reply

Latest