The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Freshers 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Confirmed Kent as my firm choice for September! Studying Archaeology & Anthropology. Any other mature students on here?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Confirmed UoK as my first choice for Computer Science degree, now to decide whether to move out or not as I only live 20 mins away by motorbike! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firmed Kent for MA in Drama & Theatre. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by cytja_0288
Firmed Kent for MA in Drama & Theatre. :smile:

Ah and you're coming over from the US? Exciting! Keen to meet MA students as well, I'm an undergrad but a mature student :frown:! Any other late bloomers out there?
I firmed Kent for English and American Lit. Can't wait to start!
I haven't confirmed kent yet, still deciding between kent and East Anglia, but if I do go kent I'd be studying economics in September
I was wondering if any first year students were considering living off campus; all of the halls accommodation seem to be more expensive than my loan allows, if anyone else is in the same position it would be good to here from you.
Original post by rachaellevisjohn
I was wondering if any first year students were considering living off campus; all of the halls accommodation seem to be more expensive than my loan allows, if anyone else is in the same position it would be good to here from you.

Hey, im planning to live off campus, since liberty quays in Medway are too expensive for me, but im not rushing to find anything yet ^^
Original post by studyhardman
Damn, liberty quays are sooo expensive. Im not prepared to pay that much money for a roof over my head, atleast not yet. Anyway, thanks for your answer, i actually thought that canterbury is closer to medway and that was a viable option :biggrin:

Have you looked around liberty quays? It's got good facilities and it's really new, it's a 10min walk from campus + there's a free bus
I agree it's expensive but most south of England uni accommodation is pricey, I applied to 4 southern unis and liberty quays was kinda in the middle price range, as if £9000 a year wasn't enough though haha!
I firmed Kent to study Law...
Can not WAIT!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahart
Have you looked around liberty quays? It's got good facilities and it's really new, it's a 10min walk from campus + there's a free bus
I agree it's expensive but most south of England uni accommodation is pricey, I applied to 4 southern unis and liberty quays was kinda in the middle price range, as if £9000 a year wasn't enough though haha!

No, i havent, since im not from England. For me its a little bit too expensive, something for £100 or so would be awesome, though. Only thing is that theres nothing for that price range. I got to admit, im kind of screwed :biggrin:
I'm doing International Business with a Year in Industry, anyone else? Haven't talked to a single person whose doing it yet!
Original post by studyhardman
No, i havent, since im not from England. For me its a little bit too expensive, something for £100 or so would be awesome, though. Only thing is that theres nothing for that price range. I got to admit, im kind of screwed :biggrin:

Yeah I haven't seen anything that low, maybe you could contact the university and explain your situation to see what they suggest? Or you could look for off campus accommodation like renting a house nearby.
Good luck :-)
Original post by hannahart
Yeah I haven't seen anything that low, maybe you could contact the university and explain your situation to see what they suggest? Or you could look for off campus accommodation like renting a house nearby.
Good luck :-)

Yeah, thx:smile: Thats actually my plan, atleast for now. Hope off campus its a little bit cheaper.:redface:
Reply 54
-cough- yes.... mature, I'm 22 doing Chem or forensic Chem :biggrin:
Hey! I accepted an unconditional offer for Biological Anthropology a few months ago and now I just can't wait to start! I'm sort of on a gap year right now after dropping out of my first try at uni after a few months and reapplying so I'm full on just counting down the days.
And I feel the pain of the people above about how expensive on campus accommodation is, holy crap. I can only afford the cheapest one with a few hundred extra from my savings (which will pretty much wipe them out but oh well, gotta sleep somewhere.)

Does anyone know about cost of living down there? Do you think I could live self catered on about £50 a week and not be a social pariah?
x
Reply 56
Do you know if the reading lists on the Kent Uni's website is up-to-date, or it may change before starting courses?
Original post by Dzargon

You probably won't feel "mature," walking around. Plenty of people on my course did not start fresh at 18 :p:

Original post by kateactual

Does anyone know about cost of living down there? Do you think I could live self catered on about £50 a week and not be a social pariah?
x

It's fairly expensive but that's to be expected from living in SE England. You may have to skimp a bit on the shopping, but it's a definitely a manageable budget :smile: May be best to look around for a part-time job if you want to feel comfortable though. As Canterbury mainly feels like a student city, there's a constant circus of jobs as third years leave and first years come in. This doesn't mean they're easy to get though! I'd suggest looking in town rather than on campus too - if you definitely know you'll be in Canterbury come September, there's no harm asking around from whenever :yy:

Original post by Kamila28
Do you know if the reading lists on the Kent Uni's website is up-to-date, or it may change before starting courses?

They are mainly up to date and will only likely change if a new edition comes out (you can look up dates for edition releases on the publishers website). There's no need to rush to buy all your books straight away as they do cost a lot of money. However, if a book has appeared on the reading list has consistently appeared for the last few years, you can bet it will appear again :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Dzargon

Awesome, haha yes if we're 21+ we get given the label 'mature', it doesn't suit me I feel :biggrin:
Can anyone tell me how long before your course start date do you get to move in to accommodation? My course (law) starts Sep 29th and I just wanted to know when I'll be leaving home basically.
Please If anyone knows I'd really appreciate if you would share!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending