The Student Room Group

At what tax rate would you not bother to go to work? (Reply to 40% tax threshold)

Personally for me even the 40% tax threshold is too much, I'd much rather be in bed or doing something i enjoy than slaving away. What tax percentage would you not go to work for, doing what you currently are doing or intend to do career wise?
Reply 1
Personally even the thought of 30% tax is a lot for me. At 40% what's the point in earning £35,000 when you're only going to see abour £20,000 of it?
I think 50% as it's quite obvious at anything over that point that other people are benefitting more from your time than you are.

Having said that I'd imagine that the owners of my company get rewarded more per hour I work than I do as it stands.
Reply 3
I don't do what I do just for the money. I wouldn't give up on work unless it was totally uneconomical to do so, and even then I'd resent it a bit. Unemployment gets really, really boring.
Reply 4
40% does seem a lot and current threshold mean that you are not wealthy before you pay it. I guess it does depend what you get for that money - roads to drive on,
NHS and some sponsorship of local services still seem quite worthwhile, but I am not sure what else.
Reply 5
I've known people stop when they approach the 60% marginal rate, I can see the logic in only paying that if you are going to push through for a fair way to see a significant amount in your pocket.
Reply 6
Original post by Dez
I don't do what I do just for the money. I wouldn't give up on work unless it was totally uneconomical to do so, and even then I'd resent it a bit. Unemployment gets really, really boring.

This is actually the most common sense thing I've read on this thread.

I don't think I could ever stand unemployment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Well this is another good reason to leave the rat race. I'd say most successful CEOs and entrepreneurs take advantage of tax havens and various similar schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
IMHO tax thresholds have no impact on "willingness to work". The benefits do. 25k is no problem to some benefit earners PLUS other very expensive and valuable benefits eg Dental treatment. MINUS any necessity to travel to work, buy work clothes, eat lunch etc.

Quick Reply

Latest