The Student Room Group

Edexcel Further Maths

Hi,

Just wondering as to how I could cope with Further Maths at A-level. I also do Edexcel at GCSE and can achieve an A* with a bit of work. I am certainly planning on getting an A* anyway. I was just wondering how well should I be doing in GCSE Maths to consider taking it? Is it something I should only take, for example if I can ace GCSE with no effort?

I am asking this as I don't want to take it and it bring my other grades down because of all the extra work I have to put in as I'm struggling.

Any advice or opinions from people who have taken FM would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by econam
Hi,

Just wondering as to how I could cope with Further Maths at A-level. I also do Edexcel at GCSE and can achieve an A* with a bit of work. I am certainly planning on getting an A* anyway. I was just wondering how well should I be doing in GCSE Maths to consider taking it? Is it something I should only take, for example if I can ace GCSE with no effort?

I am asking this as I don't want to take it and it bring my other grades down because of all the extra work I have to put in as I'm struggling.

Any advice or opinions from people who have taken FM would be greatly appreciated.

Id say don't do fm if you dont get at least an A at gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by cooldudeman
Id say don't do fm if you dont get at least an A at gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. I think I can get an A* so that seems ok. Did you take FM if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
Original post by econam
Thanks for the reply. I think I can get an A* so that seems ok. Did you take FM if you don't mind me asking?

If you can get a high A or an A* you should be able to handle the workload. May sound cliche but it requires a lot more effort than GCSE Maths.
Original post by econam

Yeah its 1.2 times harder than normal maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ok it doesn't seem as unreachable as I thought it would be. I enjoy maths so wouldn't mind putting that little bit extra in anyway:smile: Thanks for the advice so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by econam
Hi,

I take Further Maths and I had an A* at GCSE. I would say if you enjoy maths and you're willing to put the work in you should be fine. It is a little harder than normal maths, but like I said, if you're willing to put the work in it will all come together eventually. :-)
Reply 7
Original post by NicCx
I take Further Maths and I had an A* at GCSE. I would say if you enjoy maths and you're willing to put the work in you should be fine. It is a little harder than normal maths, but like I said, if you're willing to put the work in it will all come together eventually. :-)

Thank you for the advice:smile: If you don't mind me asking do you think it helps you with just normal Maths at A-level? For example, you find A-level Maths easier because you took further.
Reply 8
Original post by econam
Thank you for the advice:smile: If you don't mind me asking do you think it helps you with just normal Maths at A-level? For example, you find A-level Maths easier because you took further.

Definitely.
Reply 9
Original post by econam

Yeah definitely. I wouldn't say there's an overlap of the content so that wouldn't make it easier but I think FM definitely makes you appreciate how nice the core modules are!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by NicCx
Yeah definitely. I wouldn't say there's an overlap of the content so that wouldn't make it easier but I think FM definitely makes you appreciate how nice the core modules are!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that sounds good. Again I hope I'm not being too intrusive but how are you finding it difficulty wise, since you got an A*at GCSE. Do you feel if it's effecting your other grades at all?
Reply 11
Original post by econam
Well that sounds good. Again I hope I'm not being too intrusive but how are you finding it difficulty wise, since you got an A*at GCSE. Do you feel if it's effecting your other grades at all?

It's fine, I don't mind helping. I'm not finding it too difficult to be honest, and if I find anything difficult I just look through my notes and practice questions on it. It's not affecting my other grades at all really, I think I manage my time well. I definitely think it sounds more scary than it actually is though! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by NicCx
It's fine, I don't mind helping. I'm not finding it too difficult to be honest, and if I find anything difficult I just look through my notes and practice questions on it. It's not affecting my other grades at all really, I think I manage my time well. I definitely think it sounds more scary than it actually is though! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I believe time management is a good skill. Thats the thing people at my school seem make out you need to be a maths genious to take it. That in fact put me off taking it for a while.
Reply 13
Original post by econam
Yeah I believe time management is a good skill. Thats the thing people at my school seem make out you need to be a maths genious to take it. That in fact put me off taking it for a while.

You don't need to be. If you enjoy maths and consider yourself naturally able to do maths you'll be fine. I actually took French to start off with and because of my A* in maths teacher encouraged me to take FM, so I dropped French. I didn't really think I'd be able to cope but I'm doing fine. I would say if you're considering it and you're willing to put the work in, do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by NicCx
You don't need to be. If you enjoy maths and consider yourself naturally able to do maths you'll be fine. I actually took French to start off with and because of my A* in maths teacher encouraged me to take FM, so I dropped French. I didn't really think I'd be able to cope but I'm doing fine. I would say if you're considering it and you're willing to put the work in, do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for all your advice. Im seriously considering taking it now:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, consider what you want to do in the future I dropped further maths personally as meidince didn't like it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Sycopation
Also, consider what you want to do in the future I dropped further maths personally as meidince didn't like it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do a degree in economics so from what I've heard it's useful. I switched for Further Maths a couple of weeks ago.
Reply 17
You should be able to do AS fm if you can do a full A-level in maths tbh.
Original post by cooldudeman
Yeah its 1.2 times harder than normal maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on what modules you take. At AS Level everything is okay, but at A2 it's a big step up; usually need knowledges of c34
Reply 19
Don't do fm unless you get A*
The people with As that did it in my year struggled quite a bit with the FP modules

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest