The Student Room Group

general probability help

I am having big trouble with getting my head around probability,I am doing ocr mei.Recently i have done around 30 questions on this topic however it seems that i haven't improved at tackling theoretical worded probability questions at all!

I was hoping someone could give me general tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Also i would like to know if anyone else is having problems in this topic and how you are planning to get better.
Do you have any examples of types of questions you are struggling with because people who haven't done MEI might not understand what you're talking about.
Reply 2
general probability questions such as A group of office workers were questioned for a health magazine and 52 were found to take regular exercise. When questioned about their eating habits 41 said they always eat breakfast and, of those who always eat breakfast 725 also took regular exercise. Find the probability that a randomly selected member of the group (a) always eats breakfast and takes regular exercise, (b) does not always eat breakfast and does not take regular exercise (c) Determine, giving your reason, whether or not always eating breakfast and taking regular exercise are statistically independent.
Reply 3
Original post by siamakdie
general probability questions such as A group of office workers were questioned for a health magazine and 52 were found to take regular exercise. When questioned about their eating habits 41 said they always eat breakfast and, of those who always eat breakfast 725 also took regular exercise. Find the probability that a randomly selected member of the group (a) always eats breakfast and takes regular exercise, (b) does not always eat breakfast and does not take regular exercise (c) Determine, giving your reason, whether or not always eating breakfast and taking regular exercise are statistically independent.

Questions like that just need a Venn Diagram

Though I assume that you made that up unless 725 should actually have been 72%

Even then it does not work - should the other values have been % as well
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest