The Student Room Group

GCSE Science 'ethical' question help!

Hi guys, you know those questions that always pop up in exams regarding the ethics/economic/social problems surrounding a topic, e.g. drug testing on animals, or (one I say yesterday at school on Triple Physics) 'Do you think space exploration is good? yes/no, justify'. I just have NO IDEA how to answer them and get full marks, do you know?

Thank you!
Ahh, right. So at our school we have these things called PEE paragraphs. It may sound really childish but they're excellent for constructing an argument or compiling evidence.

P - Point - So start with your point in a few sentences. For example: Yes, I do believe that science is exploration is right as it provides us with information we would otherwise be oblivious to.

E - Evidence - Next, if your studying a text, you might want to insert releveny quotes from the text to back up your point. In this case, you could talk about the resources and possibilities that space exploration has provided us with.

E - Explanation - As my English teacher tells us, this is the most important part of the text and will provide you with the most marks. In this part of the text, you are required to explain the evidence and how it links to your point (you could use connotations). As above, you could say something like.... If space exploration can provide us with such great prospects and produce so much more information for us to use, then it is a good thing to explore space and see what we can gain from it.

Sorry for the awful examples but I hope they helped. That's how I would do it but please feel free to create a way that works best for you. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
P.E.E is used everywhere ahah I thought ny teacher made it up. That liar. Also P.E.T.E.R tecchnique and reader. And PEEL Link.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You have to give a social or ethical reason to get full marks l. Like a chriatian might say we should only explore where god put us. Or a muslim might say going it in space could have safety issues therefore it could be deliberate harm which is forbidden in islam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrFox
You have to give a social or ethical reason to get full marks l. Like a chriatian might say we should only explore where god put us. Or a muslim might say going it in space could have safety issues therefore it could be deliberate harm which is forbidden in islam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, so SOS? Some people think, other people think, so I think. That's how we produce our philosophy essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yhup except give more reasons why and science reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxBabyFacexx
Ahh, right. So at our school we have these things called PEE paragraphs. It may sound really childish but they're excellent for constructing an argument or compiling evidence.

P - Point - So start with your point in a few sentences. For example: Yes, I do believe that science is exploration is right as it provides us with information we would otherwise be oblivious to.

E - Evidence - Next, if your studying a text, you might want to insert releveny quotes from the text to back up your point. In this case, you could talk about the resources and possibilities that space exploration has provided us with.

E - Explanation - As my English teacher tells us, this is the most important part of the text and will provide you with the most marks. In this part of the text, you are required to explain the evidence and how it links to your point (you could use connotations). As above, you could say something like.... If space exploration can provide us with such great prospects and produce so much more information for us to use, then it is a good thing to explore space and see what we can gain from it.

Sorry for the awful examples but I hope they helped. That's how I would do it but please feel free to create a way that works best for you. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUO

Thank you, this was very helpful! :smile:
Original post by DanMargetts
Hi guys, you know those questions that always pop up in exams regarding the ethics/economic/social problems surrounding a topic, e.g. drug testing on animals, or (one I say yesterday at school on Triple Physics) 'Do you think space exploration is good? yes/no, justify'. I just have NO IDEA how to answer them and get full marks, do you know?

Thank you!

You just need to answer the question. There are a huge number of ethical and social problems in science and it is incredibly important that scientists understand these - since way too many don't. They're not difficult, you just need to be able to think about the consequences of experimental practice. Reading around the subject and paying attention to the news definitely helps with these questions because ethical issues come up all the time.
Original post by Chlorophile
You just need to answer the question. There are a huge number of ethical and social problems in science and it is incredibly important that scientists understand these - since way too many don't. They're not difficult, you just need to be able to think about the consequences of experimental practice. Reading around the subject and paying attention to the news definitely helps with these questions because ethical issues come up all the time.

Okay, yes but -in my case anyway - its sometimes difficult to structure it effectively and still collect all the marks. Using PEE and SOS, its easier to include all the required information and yet not waste time that you could be spent on other questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxBabyFacexx
Okay, yes but -in my case anyway - its sometimes difficult to structure it effectively and still collect all the marks. Using PEE and SOS, its easier to include all the required information and yet not waste time that you could be spent on other questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I know is that I did just fine without ever even knowing what 'PEE' or 'SOS' mean. But if it helps, fine.

Quick Reply

Latest