The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex as an insurance

I've got an offer from Sussex for politics and philosophy, the offer is for AAB but they lowered it to ABB if I firm it but I'm planning to firm Sheffield. My offer for Sheffield is also AAB so they both ask for the same grades but I wasn't sure if Sussex was more lenient in terms of grades. I've got another insurance option which asks for ABB but I'd prefer Sussex over that university but I know it's a bit risky to pick Sussex as an insurance when it has the same entry requirements as Sheffield.

Should I just insure the safe option or is there a possibility if I miss my firm offer Sussex will still let me in?
Reply 1
I'm also applying to do Politics and Philosophy and have gotten offers from Sheffield, Manchester and Sussex (and also York but I'm not interested in them for various reasons). For me I managed to get an unconditional from Sussex if I firm it and I also would love to live in Brighton (as well as the continental philosophy there) so I'm really pretty keen to just accept it. However the faculty being significantly smaller than Sheffield's for example has made me have some major second thoughts. What separates Sheffield and Sussex for you?

Also, to answer your question I'm pretty sure Sussex would let you in with ABB, if you narrowly miss the requested grade they are pretty lenient I have been told.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Which course do you prefer? Read the detailed descriptions of all the optional units for all 3 years of each course and think about what you would actually choose if you went to that Uni, and why. What 'extras' are available like units in other subjects or study abroad or work placements? Think about the difference between living in a big industrial city (Manchester) and a smaller seaside place like Brighton (closer to London). Btw, Sussex is, and always has been, wonderful for Social Sciences - its one of its real strengths.

Lots of general advice here about making Firm/Insurance choices - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices
In the past sussex has been relatively lenient in my experience about letting people in if they miss theyre main offers. HOWEVER; they are doing this unconditional offer system this year for the best students that they really want. Do bear in mind, you cant expect them to give it to you if you miss your firm.

Sussex has a wonderful social sciences department. But please dont hedge your bets on sussex letting you in, I know 6-7 people who got rejected for missing theyre offer, 2 of which were rejected from the politics department. (One doing politics and IR, the other politics and economics)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending