The Student Room Group

Returning To Education HE Diploma Access Course

Hey all,

My names Joel, i'm 30 years old and live in South Wales.

Recently i have finally figured out where i want to go in life. My ideal career is working as a Counselling Psychologist, working with people with mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, social disorders, etc. I haven't got many GCSE's and its been over 12 years since i was last in school.

So I applied to my local uni (University of South Wales, Caerleon Campus) to go on the Access To HE Diploma (Social Sciences). The compulsory modules are - Psychology, Sociology, and Social and Welfare Policy. It says on the website that the course consists of 3 pathways which are designed for a range of degrees - Humanities, Social Sciences, and Science.

Is this the correct route onto say a Psychology degree? Or instead should i have applied to do some A levels instead?
Reply 1
This sounds the best route, my Access course does the same modules as well as Health Studies. Psychology gives a good insight into the basics of Psychology. Plus the course would just be one year (10 months really) instead of two years for ALevels.

If you haven't already, it is best to have a look at what Universities and which courses you want to apply to, gather some information and find out what their entry requirements are and specifically what grades you will need to be getting on the Access course.

I did shockingly at my GCSEs when I was younger, but have an offer and will be starting my degree in September. Access courses will give you Maths & English at GCSE or equivalent which most uni's will want to see, just to make sure you are capable of the basics.
Reply 2
Ah cheers man,

i got an interview coming up in May to hopefully start the course in September, so fingers crossed

Cheers again :smile:
Reply 3
hi i have already accepted my place at caerleon university im doing the biology chemistry and physics sciences and i have to pick an additional subject from the list on the website i picked further mathematics as its specific to the degree i wanna do. you will probably have to do the same. they are really nice on the day. you have to do a numeracy and literacy test so since you been out of education for a while.a tip that helped me prepare is go on bbc bite size under g.c.s.e maths revise a little, helped refresh a lot and they break it down it to little sections for you to understand. like mkguy said find out what the university requirements for your course is they will ask for a certain amounts of pass merit and destination credits at level 3. any questions you have about the interview day ill be happy to help.
Hi all. Can any one please tell me the difference between a access course to higher education and an access course to higher education diploma. Are they both same things?
Thanks
Reply 6
yea both the same course
Reply 7
it only becomes different if the call it a pre access course as that is a course to prepare you for the access. hope this helps.
Reply 8
Hi I have an entrance exam with KCC this Tuesday for HE Access Humanties.
I've been out of education for 6 years.
Please could anyone suggest any tests or study to prepare for the assessment or what I should expect?
Any web addresses that have helped you would be greatly appreciated.
I don't want to get rejected. I need to be on the course to get into Sussex Uni by Sept 2015.

All the best, DD
Reply 9
hi cyn4psy

i used bbc bitesize gcse for maths and for english. its very basic tbh you just need to check spelling on a computer and compare words and add punctuation. With the maths study area perimeter mean median mode range long multiplcation division and that covers 3/4 of it so you will pass that was a little on area of a triangle the rest is basic adding and subtraction. i hope this helps if you have not done the test already good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending