The Student Room Group

Loughborough University

My son is predicated an A in Maths, B in Physics and a C in Biology and has applied to Loughborough University for 2 courses. One for foundation in Mech Engineering and the other in Mech Engineering. He applied way back in November and after a week received an email from Loughborough asking to fill in a Fee status form, which we did and got granted EU status. But what I find strange is that he got declined the foundation course in February (which he was well covered with grades) and to this day has not received an answer for the BEng course, which I doubt he will get as he needs ABB and as mentioned above, he is predicated ABC !! Could someone enlighten me please, I'm a bit concerned now. Thanks
Original post by carr05
My son is predicated an A in Maths, B in Physics and a C in Biology and has applied to Loughborough University for 2 courses. One for foundation in Mech Engineering and the other in Mech Engineering. He applied way back in November and after a week received an email from Loughborough asking to fill in a Fee status form, which we did and got granted EU status. But what I find strange is that he got declined the foundation course in February (which he was well covered with grades) and to this day has not received an answer for the BEng course, which I doubt he will get as he needs ABB and as mentioned above, he is predicated ABC !! Could someone enlighten me please, I'm a bit concerned now. Thanks

We're not Loughborough's engineering admissions tutors, so of course it's very difficult to give a definitive answer, and if you want one it may be an idea to email the university.

However, with regards to the foundation year, it does have eligibility requirements beyond the grades, because they are trying to avoid people who got bad grades because they are - frankly - a bit thick, or a bit lazy.
Students who are eligible for this programme include:

Those wishing to study a science or engineering degree without the appropriate background

International students with good Year 12 qualifications and a minimum of IELTS 6.5.

Mature students returning to education

Those who did not meet their expected entrance requirements due to illness or other adverse situations

Students with alternative backgrounds and qualifications

If your son didn't meet one of those eligibility criteria, then it's probably why he was rejected from the foundation year, and they haven't yet made a decision for straight mech eng.

By the way, are you happy that the EU fee status is correct, and are you aware of the implications? Often these things are a bit debatable, but if he's been living in the UK for three years on the first day of his course, then he should have UK fee status. Having EU fee status also means that he'll pay £9k fees and be eligible for a tuition fee loan, but there will be no financial support for living expenses, so you'll be expected to pay all of that in full.

If he doesn't get the offers he wants, and / or he's chronologically close to getting UK fee status, it may be worth taking a gap year.
Reply 2
I think you have misunderstood me…. Its the Mech Engineering with FY - H304 !!! Entry requirements are BBB or ABC, I cannot call someone having those grades as THICK !!!
Original post by carr05
I think you have misunderstood me…. Its the Mech Engineering with FY - H304 !!! Entry requirements are BBB or ABC, I cannot call someone having those grades as THICK !!!

Nope, I am talking about the foundation year, as set out here http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sefs/foundation-year-programme/entryrequirements/

As for being a bit thick - let me reword that as 'not of the academic calibre that Loughborough is seeking'.
Reply 4
I can see why your son would have been turned down for the foundation year because he is doing A level subjects that are heavily relevant to the course. A foundation year is for people who haven't done relevant subjects or have been out of a formal learning environment for a while.

The uni would take the view that a candidate with relevant subjects (like your son has) should be attaining certain grades capable of getting onto the straight B.Eng. The foundation year is for candidates who in the opinion of the uni would be capable of relevant A levels at the asking grades had they taken them in the first place and very recently.

Basically a foundation year is not a place for candidates offering relevant A level subjects to play catch up if they slip a grade or so.

I know that explanation is probably as clear as mud hope you understood all that. Anyway it doesn't follow that just because he's been rejected for the foundation (because of eligibility most likely) that he will also be rejected from the straight Mech Eng degree. His strongest A levels are in the most relevant subjects which are Maths and Physics.which is in his favour, here's hoping for the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending