The Student Room Group

Veterinary Help?

Im a 14 year old girl and I am extremely dedicated and completely have my heart set on becoming a vet. On Wednesday in school we have to make our final decisions on GCSE subjects and I was wondering if these subjects are good enough for veterinary and if they sound well rounded enough for a University.

Maths
Double Award Science
English Literature
English Language
Religious Education
History
Irish Language
Art and
Music

The first five subjects are completely compulsory, though if had the option I would not do RE. I am toying with the idea of Additional Maths, as I get all A*s but after getting an A- I'm not so enthusiastic. I would love to do Triple Award but that means sacrificing Art or Music. Art is my all time favourite subject and I would hate to lose it (but I'm unsure if Art will run, as I do not know if enough people are doing it. If thats the case I will take on Triple Award). I also don't want to drop music as I find it easy yet so interesting and it keeps me motivated to work towards a grade 5 and then grade 8 on piano. I've heard from both teachers that Uni's look well upon art and music as they show you are willing to put effort into a subject and you are well dedicated. Art creates lots of opportunities for different hobbies and clubs, which will look well on a personal statement.

I have no work experience as of yet as, at 14 you aren't allowed. The age limit is 16. There is a Rainbow Animal Shelter a few miles from my home and under 16s can participate if accompanied by an adult. My parents are often very busy however and would only be able to accompany me occasionally, though I'm sure if I or one of my parents emailed or phoned them, then took me down on the first visit the animal shelter workers wouldn't mind if I came unaccompanied from there on. I want to get as much experience as early as possible.

I know how high grade limits are for veterinary courses but I'm willing to put lots of effort now towards academics, so it will pay off later in life, when I'm a fully qualified vet. My grades at the moment are all very high anyway with 1A-, 3 As and 12A*s with two exams at 100% (art and history), in my January exams
Also I'm looking for Uni recommendations, and I have been researching Glasgow and Edinburgh University as I have relatives in Scotland. Thanks :smile:
Original post by bethany2129
Im a 14 year old girl and I am extremely dedicated and completely have my heart set on becoming a vet. On Wednesday in school we have to make our final decisions on GCSE subjects and I was wondering if these subjects are good enough for veterinary and if they sound well rounded enough for a University.

Maths
Double Award Science
English Literature
English Language
Religious Education
History
Irish Language
Art and
Music

The first five subjects are completely compulsory, though if had the option I would not do RE. I am toying with the idea of Additional Maths, as I get all A*s but after getting an A- I'm not so enthusiastic. I would love to do Triple Award but that means sacrificing Art or Music. Art is my all time favourite subject and I would hate to lose it (but I'm unsure if Art will run, as I do not know if enough people are doing it. If thats the case I will take on Triple Award). I also don't want to drop music as I find it easy yet so interesting and it keeps me motivated to work towards a grade 5 and then grade 8 on piano. I've heard from both teachers that Uni's look well upon art and music as they show you are willing to put effort into a subject and you are well dedicated. Art creates lots of opportunities for different hobbies and clubs, which will look well on a personal statement.

I have no work experience as of yet as, at 14 you aren't allowed. The age limit is 16. There is a Rainbow Animal Shelter a few miles from my home and under 16s can participate if accompanied by an adult. My parents are often very busy however and would only be able to accompany me occasionally, though I'm sure if I or one of my parents emailed or phoned them, then took me down on the first visit the animal shelter workers wouldn't mind if I came unaccompanied from there on. I want to get as much experience as early as possible.

I know how high grade limits are for veterinary courses but I'm willing to put lots of effort now towards academics, so it will pay off later in life, when I'm a fully qualified vet. My grades at the moment are all very high anyway with 1A-, 3 As and 12A*s with two exams at 100% (art and history), in my January exams

Those subject choices look great to me. Hits all the subjects that you need for vet, and it sounds like you have a good work ethic. :smile:

Work experience is incredibly important for vet, but you've got over four years to get it! The university web pages outline exactly what they expect in this regard, and you've got plenty of time to worry about that later.

Also I'm looking for Uni recommendations, and I have been researching Glasgow and Edinburgh University as I have relatives in Scotland. Thanks :smile:

Afraid no one can help you here! It's an extremely personal choice and it's purely down to how you'd like to be taught; how you'd like the course structured; where you'd like to live, and things like that. All veterinary medicine schools are very high quality. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Those subject choices look great to me. Hits all the subjects that you need for vet, and it sounds like you have a good work ethic. :smile:

Work experience is incredibly important for vet, but you've got over four years to get it! The university web pages outline exactly what they expect in this regard, and you've got plenty of time to worry about that later.

Afraid no one can help you here! It's an extremely personal choice and it's purely down to how you'd like to be taught; how you'd like the course structured; where you'd like to live, and things like that. All veterinary medicine schools are very high quality. :smile:

Thanks :smile: I feel way more confident in my subject choices now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you want to be a vet you should be doing triple science. Drop Irish and art.
Reply 4
Original post by zilly1
If you want to be a vet you should be doing triple science. Drop Irish and art.

A language is compulsory in my school and i love art too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
x

Can you stick this in the vet med area please. :smile:

Cheers brah

Bethany, I'll chunk up your post and answer bits as I go :smile:
Original post by bethany2129

Maths
Double Award Science
English Literature
English Language
Religious Education
History
Irish Language
Art and
Music

Perfectly fine :smile:

The first five subjects are completely compulsory, though if had the option I would not do RE. I am toying with the idea of Additional Maths, as I get all A*s but after getting an A- I'm not so enthusiastic.

The amount a uni cares about an A compared to an A* at GCSE isn't tremendous tbh

I would love to do Triple Award but that means sacrificing Art or Music. Art is my all time favourite subject and I would hate to lose it (but I'm unsure if Art will run, as I do not know if enough people are doing it. If thats the case I will take on Triple Award). I also don't want to drop music as I find it easy yet so interesting and it keeps me motivated to work towards a grade 5 and then grade 8 on piano. I've heard from both teachers that Uni's look well upon art and music as they show you are willing to put effort into a subject and you are well dedicated. Art creates lots of opportunities for different hobbies and clubs, which will look well on a personal statement.

Yep, lots of people do triple science and for AS levels doing triple will make the jump a bit less, but there's no reason not to do double with the others.

Getting work experience at your age is difficult, I did some dairy experience when I was 14 through a family friend, but most people can't do this. Wait until you're 15 at least really then cram it in!

When you start doing work experience you need to get a wide range of w/e. This should include Large animal vets, small animal vets, dairy, equine. Then others that look good/ are nearing essential are lambing, kennel work, pigs etc :smile:
The first 4 are pretty much essential :smile:

There are 8 universities offering veterinary medicine - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham (I go here :biggrin: ), Liverpool, Cambridge, Royal Veterinary College, Bristol and Surrey. They all have their academic requirements on their website as well as work experience minimum requirements. No-one can recommend you a uni, I suggest you go on open days to then :smile:

Any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending