The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Choosing an accommodation :/

I was really intent on going to stay at Storthes Hall when I start in September but reading reviews has suggested this may not be the best choice.

I need some advice on which student halls are the best in terms of cleanliness, space, cost and social life. Some accommodations look really small in terms of communal space and the furniture looks really uncomfortable!
Reply 1
Go for one of Unite properties :smile: Storthes is really horrible and not clean at all :/ so defo go with one of the 3 unite halls :smile: all are 5 mins from the uni and town :smile: x
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm going to aspley didn't think price was bad and the rooms were a nice size with big kitchen areas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think people are over exaggerating on how bad storthes is! It can't be that bad if the uni has recommended it. The others seem to have quite a lot of second years which isn't want, I want to be with first years so I will probably be going to storthes I think there is just bad rumours about it
Reply 4
The reason that the uni recommends Storthes is that it used to own it but then sold it to the company that runs it now on the premise that the uni would only recommend them.
Storthes can be loud, but it is said to be the life of the party if you like that sort of thing. Having said that, it's miles out of town so if you want to go out at night prepare to pay taxi expenses.
There are plenty of other places in the centre which offer a similar rate for quieter, cleaner and more spacious accommodation, it just depends on what appeals to you.
In terms of the ones in town you've got - Saw Mill and Castings which are new builds this year but are obviously quite pricey. Then there's Aspley Hall, Firth Point and Snow Island which are pretty similar and very close to uni.
Reply 5
Thanks guys. I didn't even know about the castings. It looks great. Do you know whether or not they allow you to pay the booking fee in instalments as it is quite a lot of money. But I think it is worth it, especially as it so close to the uni itself.
i'm going to be a first year staying at Aspley Hall. when you book it asks your preferences on living with first years an you'll be placed with them :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by nimbusquaffle
i'm going to be a first year staying at Aspley Hall. when you book it asks your preferences on living with first years an you'll be placed with them :smile:

I am too what are you studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I am going to apply for Castings for a 5 bed flat! looks amazing :smile:
i am staying at the castings in a 6 bed :biggrin:
I was considering Storthes too and am unsure now, in what why is it not clean?

Original post by Emma LB
Go for one of Unite properties :smile: Storthes is really horrible and not clean at all :/ so defo go with one of the 3 unite halls :smile: all are 5 mins from the uni and town :smile: x
Reply 11
Original post by partyrockchick

Its really old, it's smells horrible and it's just not nice :s-smilie: if you go for a tour you will see, I visited my boyfriend there last year and it wasn't great :/ I'd have a look else where before you decide :smile:
Reply 12

I went to an open day and they showed us around, it was further out than the rest but the students living there said that it's the most social and said that they don't know many other first years that go to a different accommodation. I think I'm going to go to storthes because I want to be able to be with the other first years
Oh, and yeh will need to then as dont fancy the idea of being in a room that smells, defo want it nice n clean

Original post by Emma LB
Its really old, it's smells horrible and it's just not nice :s-smilie: if you go for a tour you will see, I visited my boyfriend there last year and it wasn't great :/ I'd have a look else where before you decide :smile:
Yeh thats what I was thinking of too....wanna make sure its nice living there though n this aspley hall looks quite good but its that thing of where everyone is :/
Original post by amyds
I went to an open day and they showed us around, it was further out than the rest but the students living there said that it's the most social and said that they don't know many other first years that go to a different accommodation. I think I'm going to go to storthes because I want to be able to be with the other first years
Reply 15
Yeh thats what I was thinking of too....wanna make sure its nice living there though n this aspley hall looks quite good but its that thing of where everyone is :/

I know I'm the same, I want to be able to make friends to get a house with the next year. But I don't want to live in horrible conditions, it wasn't as bad as what people are saying I don't think.. I think it depends on who you are. I thought for the price it wasn't bad, because some halls are really expensive
Reply 16
Original post by amyds
I know I'm the same, I want to be able to make friends to get a house with the next year. But I don't want to live in horrible conditions, it wasn't as bad as what people are saying I don't think.. I think it depends on who you are. I thought for the price it wasn't bad, because some halls are really expensive

There are quite a few first years staying in Aspley Halls and the lady who sorts bookings out (she's lovely) does try and get you all together. I'm in little Aspley halls and in my flat there will be all first years. There may not be as many as in Storthes but there's enough for it not to be awkward. The free pool and gym, the fact that I won't need taxis into town late at night and I'm closer to the shops and supermarkets won it over for me. X
Original post by Han-W
I was really intent on going to stay at Storthes Hall when I start in September but reading reviews has suggested this may not be the best choice.

I need some advice on which student halls are the best in terms of cleanliness, space, cost and social life. Some accommodations look really small in terms of communal space and the furniture looks really uncomfortable!

It is really awful, I'm a first year living in storthes hall now and please do not touch it with a barge pole it is disgusting conditions, I have lived in a room which was infested with fleas, I have had a throat and chest infection caused by damp and there are still silverfish infesting my bathroom, kitchen, store cupboard and stairwell even after complaining multiple times.

Original post by amyds
I think people are over exaggerating on how bad storthes is! It can't be that bad if the uni has recommended it. The others seem to have quite a lot of second years which isn't want, I want to be with first years so I will probably be going to storthes I think there is just bad rumours about it

Read my comment above that isn't even a patch on the problems I've had with storthes it is a hell hole. The uni have a contract with them they HAVE to recommend them, first years are like a heard of cattle nobody cares how they are treated as long as they make some money. I can copy and paste posts from the storthes hall group and show you the endless amounts of problems. You're better off in town where you won't have to pay out shed loads for transport (it's a hidden cost) you'll have a company that respects you and because they are not affiliated with the uni know they can't do what they please. If you want more info on storthes (the real storthes not the stuff they show and tell you on the tours) I will be happy to give it to you. The only pro to living there is the fact a lot of first years are there but with the new unite building opening near uni and the clever placement of the banners for advertising you'd be better off there I don't reckon storthes will pull in many first years this year.

Read my comment above, that's just the beginning, black mould from damp all underneath the desks, mine was under my bed and it made me ill and if you've seen the beds you'll understand why I didn't know I was sleeping on top of it for months. A guy in flat 6 above me had it so bad his walls actually looked like they'd been painted black and white.

Original post by Emma LB

Living there is a tiny slice of hell. I'm not even bothered about the noise for me it's the conditions, placement of the accommodation and the way you are treated.
Reply 18
I agree. It's a dump! Don't go somewhere just because there's loads of first years, there's also first years else where so don't feel the need to go just for that reason :smile: look at unite, they are brill with people :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending