The Student Room Group

What was your 'childhood dream'?

As a young child, what did you want to do when you grew up and how close are you now to achieving it?

I'm quite a future orientated person, and my childhood dream was to be in the air force and at some point, an astronaut.

Needless to say, my dreams and goals have always been ridiculously huge. I'm on the right path though, and would like to think there is always a chance of achieving them.

How about you?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wanted to be a vet or a farmer when I was little. Now I am not so sure but wanting to study theology (which is quite far away from being a vet). However, I do still plan on having a small holding with animals one day.

I think it is always good to dream big! :wink:
Reply 2
Become an actor.
To be a vet/archaeologist/palaeontologist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Not gonna lie, I wanted to work at legoland
I wanted to be a singer and an athlete :smile:
Reply 6
I had 'lawyer' dreams quite early on, but I think that was my dad's doing. P:
Otherwise, the things as a child that I really cared to have for my future were books and dogs. Not too much has changed there!
I think around secondary school there were desires to be an English teacher as well, because of one of my favourite teachers and how I wished to be her a bit. That's certainly coming true, although it wasn't really ' the dream'.
I should have gone down a veterinary route from day 1, though. It's something my family has no ties to, so despite being with animals often, I never really realised that dream early enough even though it should have been obvious.
Reply 7
Original post by MidnightDream
I wanted to be a singer and an athlete :smile:

One of my temporary dreams as a teenager was to be in the music industry. Funnily enough, I think that it's even more unrealistic than my childhood one!
I wanted to be an astronaut, until I learned about bone loss and muscle atrophy and increased risk of cancer and all that good stuff.
Reply 9
To be the next James Bond, obviously. :cool:
Reply 10
Original post by awe
I had 'lawyer' dreams quite early on, but I think that was my dad's doing. P:
Otherwise, the things as a child that I really cared to have for my future were books and dogs. Not too much has changed there!
I think around secondary school there were desires to be an English teacher as well, because of one of my favourite teachers and how I wished to be her a bit. That's certainly coming true, although it wasn't really ' the dream'.
I should have gone down a veterinary route from day 1, though. It's something my family has no ties to, so despite being with animals often, I never really realised that dream early enough even though it should have been obvious.

It's good that you've ended up doing something you obviously like and although it may not have been a dream job, at least it's better than settling for something you can't stand.

Hope it works out :smile:
To be a politician :laugh:
to be a vet
i want to be a singer. idk if that dream is still attainable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BBC news reporter or doctor lol. My dream now is to become a teacher :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I wanted to be an astronaut, until I learned about bone loss and muscle atrophy and increased risk of cancer and all that good stuff.

It's not as bad as it's made out to be to be honest. Definitely worth it.
Reply 16
Original post by ryan9900
It's good that you've ended up doing something you obviously like and although it may not have been a dream job, at least it's better than settling for something you can't stand.

Hope it works out :smile:

I agree. I'm not against this route. Years down the line I will try and become an independent dog trainer, I know that much, so it's something to believe in after I've secured my QTS and had some years in the industry. :smile: Thank you - same to you. I have the understanding that you have to be an absolute genius to become even close to being an astronaut, is that true?
Reply 17
Original post by melodyogbebor
i want to be a singer. idk if that dream is still attainable!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anything is possible. Although as I said to another reply, the music industry is incredibly hard to get into. That was my 'temporary' dream as a teenager and after about 3 years, it wore off. I thought that was the easy option but I was very wrong.

People can do it though so if you have your heart set on that, go for it. Good luck :smile:
I wanted to be a lawyer and live in a huuge mansion
I wanted to be a farmer :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest