The Student Room Group

Personal Statement:Pharmacy 18

My interest in becoming a clinical pharmacist developed after working as a Speech Therapist's assistant with pervasive developmental disorder and schizophrenic children at special education school for a month. This allowed me to observe the positive and negative side effects of drug therapy on different individuals. I noticed the positive consequences of treatment in helping a six year old boy to control his hallucinations about imaginary animals, such as a chicken and a black cat that he used to play with. Another significant example was in reducing aggression and self-injury behaviours in an autistic boy. I began to realize the necessity of drugs to relieve devastating and disruptive suffering. The frequency of use of medicines like Ritalin, even in some avoidable situations, caused Drug-induced Catatonia in some children. This made me think about the importance of an awareness of the medicine on patients or, in this case, their families and their right to choose if there is an alternative. On the other hand, it is the responsibility of caregivers to check the risk of drug-related morbidity and mortality. I worked on a team project in the summer, which presented me with an opportunity to get more insight into chemotherapy drugs and the history of cancer chemotherapy. In particular, I was amazed by the story behind the recognition of nitrogen mustards as the first non-hormonal cancer drug . Volunteering at Nightingale Hammerson Care home for three months helped me to develop my communication skills while dealing with the elderly. In particular, I found communication with Alzheimer's disease patients challenging, but I learned to empathize with them, understand their needs and remain calm if they became verbally aggressive. Work experience in different wards at Royal Free Hospital for about three months gave me an insight into the work within a hospital and enabled me to distinguish the different perspectives of healthcare systems in developed countries compared to developing ones; for instance in applying suitable technology and cost management. My favourite part of this experience was during the night shift attendance at ward five, where I saw some religion related ethical issues between staff and patients and how staff wisely solved them. That made me understand the importance of ethical judgment in the healthcare system. During day shifts, I had more opportunities to interact with patients from different cultural backgrounds. After graduation from High School I worked as a receptionist in a business company in which I held responsibility for documentation and record keeping skills, which are both necessary skills for a pharmacist. In addition to my strong interest in Biology and Chemistry, I am also interested in mathematics and computer programming. During High School I attended Visual C++ courses and programming projects. Writing algorithms has increased my ability in problem solving and has taught me to try different ways of seeing the solution to a problem. I think problem solving ability is essential for a pharmacist because of the need to apply knowledge of the patient, diseases and drugs to make clinical decisions about drug-related problems(DRP). I enjoy swimming, playing badminton and basketball in my spare time. I also have a green belt in taekwondo. Practising taekwondo helps me to feel more relaxed and to releases stress and pressure. As I grew up in the countryside I was encouraged by my parents to work alongside them in charity activities from a very young age. As a part of charity group I used to visit slums to give basic essential nutrients to people. My aim is to become a pharmacist and use my knowledge to improve others lives.
Reply 1
Is this an example one that you've already sent off or something?
Reply 2
yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending