The Student Room Group

Meal replacement?

Hi everyone, I'm 17 and looking for some kind of meal replacement/shakes or something to aid my weight loss.

My stats currently are 73kg, 170cm, around 24% body fat. I'm looking to lose a good amount of fat and build lean muscle to be toned and defined overall, but not ridiculously bulky I.e. firm legs and butt, flat stomach etc.

At the moment I'm on week 5 of insanity! So I work out on average for 40 mins 6 days a week, and in a week it'll be an hour 6 days a week. I've looked at things like shakeology (which aren't even available in the UK) and visalus body by vi (or whatever it's called) but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Help or advice please?

Tl;dr: I'm a 17 year old mildly overweight girl who wants to tone up and wants to find some good meal replacement shake things :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Why are you so interested in loosing weight and no mention of being healthy? If you eat healthily and excerise you will be a healthy weight. Not eating properly is not the answer. Your body fat percentage is good by the way.
Reply 2
I do actually eat very healthily, here's an average day:

Bowl of al bran for breakfast, sometimes toast with peanut butter
Snack of fruit
Salad/couscous with vegetables for lunch
Snack of fruit again
Dinner varies, but usually its some sort of meat with veg and potatoes or something
Biscuit or a few sweets :smile:

I just wanted a meal replacement because from what I've heard they satisfy cravings, they provide lots of vitamins and minerals, they reduce calorie intake etc.

I want to lose weight because I look kinda flabby and meh :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you're doing Insanity then it is not recommended you have a meal replacement as they are very low in calories and you will be burning far too many calories in a day which will just be unhealthy. I'm at the same stage as you where im a bit fed up of healthy eating, and a few weeks ago i tried meal replacements. They don't satisfy hunger at all. I tried slim fast shakes. Stick to your healthy eating and you will continue to lose it and a steady pace.
Reply 4
Original post by sophismint
If you're doing Insanity then it is not recommended you have a meal replacement as they are very low in calories and you will be burning far too many calories in a day which will just be unhealthy. I'm at the same stage as you where im a bit fed up of healthy eating, and a few weeks ago i tried meal replacements. They don't satisfy hunger at all. I tried slim fast shakes. Stick to your healthy eating and you will continue to lose it and a steady pace.

Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You diet sounds healthy minus that biscuit and the sweets! I have quite a high body fat 34% but weight 8 1/2 stone. I wouldn't say I am flabby but I really want to tone up. I just keep working out and eating healthy. I think it is more important to not worry just love who you are and look after yourself. Being a skinny minnie isn't everything, being healthy and happy is most important, and a healthy happy girl is more attractive than a skinny miserable one :wink:. Good luck if you do go for meal replacements but really do not think you need them.
Reply 6
Original post by Tosca
You diet sounds healthy minus that biscuit and the sweets! I have quite a high body fat 34% but weight 8 1/2 stone. I wouldn't say I am flabby but I really want to tone up. I just keep working out and eating healthy. I think it is more important to not worry just love who you are and look after yourself. Being a skinny minnie isn't everything, being healthy and happy is most important, and a healthy happy girl is more attractive than a skinny miserable one :wink:. Good luck if you do go for meal replacements but really do not think you need them.

Thanks for the advice, and good luck to you too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi marina,

My name is Jake and I would love to have a chat with you, as working with the worlds leading nutritional company I would be able to provide you with a personalised programme ensuring your body receives 100% of it's recommended daily allowance whilst achieving your weight loss. This will ensure your body doesn't undergo any deficiencies, incorporating healthy foods with nutritional meal replacement shakes, preventing you from feeling tired, hungry or irritable :smile:

We offer coaching and support, alongside encouraging you to exercise (Insanity is fantastic!) for this. Our programmes are designed specifically to strip body fat and build up lean muscle so with some good work you'll have that flat stomach in no time!

I guarantee you will look great, feel healthy and have an amazing amount of energy. If you're interested at all just get in touch, we can talk a little more and potentially arrange a free wellness evaluation or a 3 day trial :smile:

Jake
Reply 8
Your diet looks fine, however the size of your portions is important when it comes to weight management. Toning is simply a word for losing fat and gaining muscle. In order to tone effectively you really should consider weighted exercises (really know nothing about the insanity workout I'm just assuming it's a cardio based thing).

So adding some protein to your diet to aid muscle growth looks like a good idea. Hard to say how much you're getting atm without portion sizes and tbh I wouldn't know how much you would need as a female but if you wanted a shake I'd just get a high protein shake. A whey isolate (low fat and carb) maybe.

Consider your calorie intake, basically you need to be burning more cals than you're taking in to lose weight.

In my experience there's nothing better than squats for legs and bums! Compound exercises like squats also burn a lot of cals.

I'm male and no expert on female fitness but the basic principles translate. 6ft 2, 100kg, 11% BF.
Reply 9
Original post by jimmyjango
Your diet looks fine, however the size of your portions is important when it comes to weight management. Toning is simply a word for losing fat and gaining muscle. In order to tone effectively you really should consider weighted exercises (really know nothing about the insanity workout I'm just assuming it's a cardio based thing).

So adding some protein to your diet to aid muscle growth looks like a good idea. Hard to say how much you're getting atm without portion sizes and tbh I wouldn't know how much you would need as a female but if you wanted a shake I'd just get a high protein shake. A whey isolate (low fat and carb) maybe.

Consider your calorie intake, basically you need to be burning more cals than you're taking in to lose weight.

In my experience there's nothing better than squats for legs and bums! Compound exercises like squats also burn a lot of cals.

I'm male and no expert on female fitness but the basic principles translate. 6ft 2, 100kg, 11% BF.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check the whey out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marinajelly
I do actually eat very healthily, here's an average day:

Bowl of al bran for breakfast, sometimes toast with peanut butter
Snack of fruit
Salad/couscous with vegetables for lunch
Snack of fruit again
Dinner varies, but usually its some sort of meat with veg and potatoes or something
Biscuit or a few sweets :smile:

I just wanted a meal replacement because from what I've heard they satisfy cravings, they provide lots of vitamins and minerals, they reduce calorie intake etc.

I want to lose weight because I look kinda flabby and meh :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couscous isn't that good if you are trying to lose weight. Also try to cut down on fruit and don't eat biscuits or other sweets. If you are really trying to lose weight, it's recommended you don't eat fruit or any other sugary food after 2 pm.
Also you don't need any special supplement/powder to fill you up. Just make a smoothie that has fruits and veggies in it.
For example - banana, spinach, frozen berries, 1 or 2 tablespoon coconut milk blended with almond milk and water.
You can also put avocado in your smoothies, along with other fruits and seeds. Depends on how much your body can take. I usually feel very full after having a smoothie with the ingredients mentioned above.
Reply 11
Insanity is not great for long term results.

Healthy eating tips for you though:

Breakfast: Smoothie - Frozen Strawberries, Frozen Raspberries, A Tea Spoon of Grounded Almonds, A Tea Spoon of Flax Seed Oil, Half a Yogurt (I use the 'Yeo Valley Organic Natural Greek Style Yogurt') and 180ml of Apple Juice (I use the 'Pip Organic Cloudy Apple Wedge Juice' - they come in a pack of 4).

Seriously the most filling and summery breakfast I've had in a while. When you sleep your sugar levels drop which is why sometimes people feel tired and dizzy in the morning. Fruit in the morning raises your blood sugar levels to the right amount and maintains them the whole day.

You can't eat the same thing every morning/everyday or your body will plateau. Green Tea is excellent for boosting metabolism, Porridge slowly releases energy to keep you full for longer. If you are going to eat bread eat it in the morning, and cereal is another option too. Yogurt with added good bacteria (a white powder that tastes of nothing and can't be seen when mixed into yogurt) aids weight-loss.

Lunch: Chicken Salads are a good option, you can add a little brown rice to balance it out (1/2 a cup or so). Vegetables eat lots of Vegetables - they don't store fat and therefore your body burns through your stored fat, in a way it tricks the body to burning fat stores. Hummus is another really good option, dip in Cucumber Sticks, Carrot Sticks, Tomatoes, Lettuce - Salad is really tasty with Hummus. Turkey and Fish are also a good idea and at least once a week have red meat.

Snack: Hummus and Salad is best if you didn't have it for Lunch. A handful of nuts are good - Cashews, Pistachios, Walnuts (whichever ones you like). Dried Apricots are also nice. Drink Water when you are hungry and remember Green Tea.

Dinner: My favourite thing for dinner is Soup, it is light on your system before bed and there are so many different soups. My favourite is Lentil Soup. I can give you the recipe if you wish but my response is getting too long to put it here. Use Lunch suggestions if you don't like soup but go for more cooked vegetables as opposed to salads.

Don't just change your diet by implementing everything at once - it will have a very negative impact on you. Slowly switch things, so one week try the smoothie and change the couscous for brown rice, the next week introduce green tea, the next week add hummus or change your snack to nuts. Introduce all the foods slowly it may take about six weeks but that's what's best long term.

Avoid sugary treats for 14-21 days and then introduce it slowly back if you want, like one dessert for snack a week or so.

Try lots of new foods so your body can be okay with new things - so vary a little, if one day your at a barbecue - have a burger go with it, everyone is having mac and cheese - it's okay to eat a portion. It's good to eat out of your healthy safety zone and remember to try new things often.

Hope this was helpful - please be gentle and kind to yourself and good luck :smile:.

Get healthy so you feel better - the weight will fall off of you then.

I wouldn't keep the Insanity up though :smile:.
[h="1"]
Reply 12
try True MRP from myprotein - ready to go meal replacement or look at soylent.me and diy.soylent.me to make your own recipe mix according to your diet requirements. You don't have to replace all meals a'la soylent, but I find these shakes really useful to save time and meet my macro / micro requirements. I also find chocolate MRP shakes get my sweet craving out the way. I personally now mix my own due to lactose intolerance to most shakes out there..
Reply 13
Original post by piggsy
try True MRP from myprotein - ready to go meal replacement or look at soylent.me and diy.soylent.me to make your own recipe mix according to your diet requirements.

I was waiting for months for Soylent but then found out that they don't ship to the UK and im too lazy to make my own, so I use the £2 precision engineered whey from Holland & Barratt

Quick Reply

Latest