The Student Room Group

Anybody else finding it hard to get a job?

I Haven't worked since December time. (Long story) I was working in travel sales. I've been offered other positions but they're not to my liking and not what I want to do (Recruitment etc). Anybody else in the same position?
Gonna move to careers :smile:
Reply 2
looks like nobody is
Reply 3
A job is often what you make of it. I started a job in recruitment knowing it wasn't what I wanted to do but it actually opened my eyes to what I did want to do (HR) and enabled me to start building the skills I needed to make the switch. It's easier to prospect a new career from within another job than from unemployment. You just need to identify what role you would like, what skills you need to make the switch and then use your job role wisely to ensure you're getting some exposure to those skills. You only need to have done something a couple of times to write about it on your CV (posted a few things to the branch Facebook page? Voila, experience of working on social media campaigns). Obviously a degree of realism is required (you're not going to switch from recruitment to brain surgeon) but it is possible to build skills for one career within a different one if you use your job role wisely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
3 months out of work is not as long as it sounds given the general climate and its all too easy for time to slip by if you go to a couple of interviews, wait around for a reply and then don't hear anything. Unless you are really uncomfortable or incompetent in a particular environment, give it a go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending