The Student Room Group

Ideal weight for my height??

Hiya!
Im 5"2 and 46kg. I'm also an 18 year old female and at this same height my weight has varied from 35kg to 55kg. For the past few months I have maintained at 46kg and I feel quite comfortable with myself. Doctors I have seen all have varying opinions regarding my weight, with some insisting I gain to at least 51kg before I reach a minimum healthy, maintainable weight for my height. However I m afraid of gaining any more weight than my current 46kg and becoming self conscious again as I have done in the past when I was on the heavier side. Right now I feel comfortable and even at times confident with my shape and size. I also now have regular periods (I did not at a lower weight) and I personally think I look healthy, but would any of you say I am still considered underweight?
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya!
Im 5"2 and 46kg. I'm also an 18 year old female and at this same height my weight has varied from 35kg to 55kg. For the past few months I have maintained at 46kg and I feel quite comfortable with myself. Doctors I have seen all have varying opinions regarding my weight, with some insisting I gain to at least 51kg before I reach a minimum healthy, maintainable weight for my height. However I m afraid of gaining any more weight than my current 46kg and becoming self conscious again as I have done in the past when I was on the heavier side. Right now I feel comfortable and even at times confident with my shape and size. I also now have regular periods (I did not at a lower weight) and I personally think I look healthy, but would any of you say I am still considered underweight?

Using the BMI calculator, http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx, the results are the following :
Body mass index (BMI) = 18.5 ,HEALTHY WEIGHT (BMI Should be between 18.5-25 on this scale)
So you could see that you are on the borderline between underweight and healthy weight and I would say that you are probably just okay, The ideal healthy weight range for this height: 45.9kg - 62.2kg . How are you measurements? , do you think you are underweight in certain areas and do you think you will benefit from maybe gaining a bit more muscle so your weight increase somewhat but it would not be fat so you may not be as self-conscious.
Reply 2
Original post by samiz20891
Using the BMI calculator, http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx, the results are the following :
Body mass index (BMI) = 18.5 ,HEALTHY WEIGHT (BMI Should be between 18.5-25 on this scale)
So you could see that you are on the borderline between underweight and healthy weight and I would say that you are probably just okay, The ideal healthy weight range for this height: 45.9kg - 62.2kg . How are you measurements? , do you think you are underweight in certain areas and do you think you will benefit from maybe gaining a bit more muscle so your weight increase somewhat but it would not be fat so you may not be as self-conscious.

My measurements seem okay I think? Like there is no part of my body that looks underweight in my opinion - my arms are quite small but that's a running trait in my family to have thin arms and wrists! Gaining muscle instead is a good idea, however it's something I struggle with as I'm limited in terms of exercise due to having osteopenia from being underweight in the past. Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya!

there's a reason doctors want people who have suffered from eating disorders to reach at least a BMI of 20

for a start, it is very easy to get sick and lose 5-10lbs or have a tough few weeks after a break up and lose 10lbs or whatever, so it is best to have a bit of a cushion so you don't end up at an unhealthy weight after one little thing happens

secondly there is evidence that remaining at a low weight (and you are a low weight generally speaking) prevents the brain from recovering properly, which means you will remain fixated on your weight and food, your thoughts will stay rigid and the anxiety and depression you may experience will remain (I can tell you from experience, when you reach a healthy weight these things all diminish SO much)

finally, a BMI fo 18.5 is just not healthy for that many people, you may think you're not that small but I promise you coming from someone with a healthy view of other people and 'normal' sizes that a BMI of 18.5 is thin, and it may well be too thin for you to maintain without restricting your calorie intake, which will keep you in disordered habits and prevent your body from reaching full health and recovering from damage you have done

plenty of research has shown that the higher a BMI a recovered anorexic reaches, the less likely they are to relapse, I can tell you right now that if your body isn't happy at a BMI of 20 you will just lose weight and slim down again, and if you're not happy after maintaining it for 6 months you can choose to lost a few kilos, but you should definitely gain the weight and give it a go, just see how much more energetic and happy you feel
Reply 4
I always use the golden formula to suggest an ideal weight.

Golden formula =

for men; height in centimetres - 100 = ideal weight in KG

for women; height in centimetres - 100 -10% = ideal weight in KG

So at 157cm the ideal weight is 57kg minus 5.7kg. So your ideal weight for me is 51.3KG.

But the truth is, there is no such thing as a perfect weight. 46kg can be perfectly healthy if you are eating a good clean diet and getting a fair amount of exercise.
It's difficult to say whether you're underweight it depends a lot on how your weight is distributed.. Muscle mass.. Etc.

However 46 does seem low. I'm 5 ft 3, at an unhealthy low I was 45-48. Now I eat very well and exercise plenty, even running half marathons and weight training. I've been 51 odd for quite a while now. When I was unhealthily high weight I was 65.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 5ft 3 and 57kg.46kg does seem low to me but everyone is built differently.Perhaps it would be good for you to put on some weight if the docs think so.
I find your weight perfectly fine. Some of my friends (we're 16) are your height and weight less than you do but by no means they're anorexic. They have a fast metabolism and that's just how their body is built. For example, I'm 5'5" and I weigh 50kg but I never think I'm anywhere "thin" (although most people tend to say otherwise)- actually most of the time, I try and lose some weight... just as long as you're not incredibly thin that you feel tired doing everything, you're fine and dandy.

And no I do not have an eating disorder. In fact, I eat more than the average woman but my metabolism is very fast and in addition to that, I exercise hence why some people worry about my apparently low weight. (it's not even that low)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest